1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very Small Daypack Recommendation: Size v. Comfort?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Will_Power, Feb 14, 2013.

1. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Nah, not for a guy your size. Besides, you could use them in other instances where you need to haul a bit more too. I'm into point solutions also (especially considering the variety of packs that come my way), but versatility is a good thing too.

2. Will_Power

Will_Power Loaded Pockets

I'll still have my 2200 CI pack I've had from Dick's Sporting Goods (that's held up surprisingly well) if I want something bigger, but right now, it's something dainty and petite and good for short treks is all I need!

Ah, purchase paralysis!

3. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

OK, well, if I can't talk you off that ledge then I'd go with the HPG Tarahumara. Excellent harness on that pack and the side pocket(s) will hold your water bottle. And you can mount it to another larger pack in the future if you need additional volume. Here's a pretty decent video review:

Kraid likes this.
  4. Schaferhund

Schaferhund Loaded Pockets

Tarahumara is a great little pack. Get (or something similar to) Kifaru's pull-outs, and organize your kit into those, then hang them from the top loop inside. Then it will carry like a dream. If you just 'put things in there', items like your stove and cook kit will bundle at the bottom, given the long thin shape of the pack. If you bear the weight from the top, hung in pullouts (which are uber-light and very very tough) the pack will distribute weight more evenly, and you will hardly know it's there. Plus you can colour code and simply swing out the items you need as you need them.

5. EDChris

EDChris Loaded Pockets

I am 6'4", 240 pounds and the Pygmy Falcon II is about the smallest backpack I would want on my back. Anything smaller would look silly. Plus, lunch to big guys like us is a lot of food and fills up a small bag fast.

6. Lightleak

Lightleak Loaded Pockets

I own the Kifaru E&E since more than two years now, great little backpack, and yes, it really is small enough for what you describe. I think it would fit your needs very well, I use it for light walks in the woods as well, also for commuting and as hand luggage on the plane, etc. It can also be compressed to extreme flatness. Best regards!

7. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

A Kifaru E&E or a Tasmanian Tiger Essential Pack would both fit the bill nicely. Probably more possibilities down the road with the E&E as it has a nicer interior layout for adding pockets etc...

8. stoneflie

stoneflie Loaded Pockets

Iā€™m a big (fat) guy (5ā€™10ā€ 250lbs) with big shoulders. I had a Maxp Falcon 2 and got rid of it because the shoulder straps. The straps were to tight around my neck.

I stick with Camelbak if I want a backpack because of their shoulder strap design. I also like the True North packs and use them more than any other.

9. legoman0721

legoman0721 Loaded Pockets

Just to throw some contrast out there because it hasn't been mentioned yet, check out the REI Flash series. I have the 18, but the 22 might fit you better. It's a very lightweight daypack, but it doesn't really fit the tactical theme that most of the other suggestions have. I know that Maxped and the other tactical makers get a lot of attention, but I don't think they're all that well suited to hiking. For a short jaunt it's definitely manageable, but the tactical offerings are definitely not as good for hikes as actual hiking packs like Kelty's or the Flash 18, in my opinion.

10. onebadwagon

onebadwagon Loaded Pockets

I picked up a tarahumara to replace a camelbak that I have never really got along with. I do wish that it had ONE internal pocket, but I can probably take care of that myself.

The first time that I used it mountain biking, I loaded it up and meant to evaluate it over the course of the ride. About 10 miles in, I realized that I hadn't given it a second thought, which was pretty surprising to me. This little bugger has a lot of potential!

11. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

If you want to go dirt cheap surplus, I'm getting rid of a woodland MOLLE II assault pack. Might do the trick if you don't care about PALS and woodland camo.

12. Joshobrien77

Joshobrien77 Empty Pockets

If your still looking I have the 5.11 Rush Moan 10 and I use it like your staing you want to. i prefer it over my two strap bags for light hikes and its the perfect light EDC. I also love it for all the air travel I do. Its easy to maneuver and get off and on.

Will hold a MBP 15in as well which is nice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta