1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very small belt-mounted Immediate Trauma Kit?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by RogerStenning, Jun 17, 2018.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Heh. "if THE Roger". I like this, I am, indeed, unique ;):rofl_revamped:

2. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Any update? I'm very keen to learn what the final kit contains and what size it has, as well as how it will be carried (belt?).

TIA!

3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Amazingly, we're still discussing (read: politely arguing without shouting) this problem. It's largely a matter of cost versus utility versus stowed size versus where it'll be carried on the person. Being a small team means we buy our own kit, which is obviously a major factor. I suspect we aren't going to get this sorted until we're right down to the wire, so to speak.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  4. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Thanks for the idea, but shipping (assuming that provider ships internationally, which is not stated on the site) from the USA to the UK is a :censored: - ah. OK. Make that "female hound of an expensive task", then :giggle: So, not, I suspect, a starter, there, sorry, but again, thanks for the thought :)

6. nursetim 40

nursetim 40 Empty Pockets

But it gives you an idea that a seamstress could whip up on the cheap.

7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

True :)

8. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Ooooh! IWB holsters....:cool:

9. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Understood.

BTW: Do you plan to purchase kit components to test, like: different TQs and try them out, like how quick to deploy and apply to casualty?

FYI: I purchased myself SWAT-T, CAT Gen 7 and SOFT-T Wide TQs and tried them on a family member (leg and arm) and on myself. I've found that all are fine to deploy/apply to another person, but for self-application I can only handle the CAT TQ one-handed within 15 seconds (max. 30 seconds). Also CAT TQ was no problem at airport security as it's all plastic, while the SOFT-T with it's metal windlass raised questions ...

Similar is true for gauze (compresed vs. folded or Z); currently i'm evaluating medical sheers (to remove clothing) vs. belt-cutting hooks.

For pressure bandage/wound dressing I tried OLAES, Israeli and URIEL. And picked URIEL for EDC due to it's small size, also it's not ideal for deeper wounds when applied as one-and-only - OLAES is better as it comes with extra gauze with the "cost" of a larger package. Now, someone mentioned "H Bandage", which is now on my soon-to-order list ... and the challenge continues :cool:

So, for me, there is no "perfect" EDC trauma kit - but different options. I use most of the ones I tried, also in different lines (on-person/pocket, near person/bag, backpack) depending on time, location and my gut feeling.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Apr 10, 2019
    #109 FiaOlleDog, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    twin63 likes this.
  10. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Those are parts of the problem too. We're working on 'em. That's about all I can say at this juncture.

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, these are the items I've recommended to my team; it's a short list of three items, which is a trade off between Immediate Action treatment, capability, affordability, carriage, and utility of multi-injury (that is, use on more that one kind of injury, not more than one injury) use.

• Tactical burn dressing military "Water Jel" 6510-01-243-5897
    • 6" Israeli bandage self-tensioning format FFD
    • SWAT-T stretchable rubber tourniquet

The total items cost is a shade over thirty pounds from a single UK source.

Consideration was given to further items, but cost and carriage were an issue. Given the types of event we are due to support, it is felt that if there's a sucking chest wound, the chances are better than even that plastic bags will be immediately available for impromptu use as chest seals, until such time as ambulances might arrive. Likewise, haemo-control agents such as Celox were considered, but discounted due to response times for ambulances, and the use of dressings and tourniquets in that time frame. Vents and haemo-control agents will, however, be suggested strongly for our vehicle kits.

These three items can make a difference, though, and can be carried in trouser or jacket pockets without too much concern over bulk issues.

twin63 and nursetim 40 like this.
  12. nursetim 40

nursetim 40 Empty Pockets

The packaging from the Israeli bandage can be pressed into service for a sucking chest wound. A small roll of gorilla tape (or its UK equivalent) in everyone’s edc can secure it on three sides. It’s a multitasker so very worth the space.

twin63 and RogerStenning like this.
  13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Good ideas - thanks :)