1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very small belt-mounted Immediate Trauma Kit?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by RogerStenning, Jun 17, 2018.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, last post first...

Right, that postdated my last training, so good to know, thanks. I'll use this regime from this point forwards. This also changes the tourniquet requirements slightly, so that the SWAT-T tourniquet is now suitable for the STK. This also makes the Rescue Essentials officers patrol kit eminently suitable, assuming I can get them into the UK without hellish import costs. Thoughts on that one would be appreciated!

2. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I'd be really interested in seeing a photo of this kit when it is done.

Also, if you can find a SWAT-T in the UK can you let us all know?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've got a SWAT-T on the way via Amazon.co.uk, as it happens. Once I've got the kit sorted out, yes, I'll be posting photos. Might be a while, so don't hold your breath ;)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Journo like this.
  4. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

RogerStenning likes this.
  5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Empty Pockets

Shrinking down the trauma kit is a challenge in itself - I'm still working on it, which runs my mind in circles around "what is REALLY needed".

I think it can't get any smaller then the Rescue Essentials kit which consists of SWAT-T, gauze and nitrile gloves.

Trying to carry "just a little bit" more I would consider adding a chest seal (Hyfin or other) and a burn dressing, and other stuff ...

While i keep a CAT 7 TQ in my larger pack the SWAT-T is my choice for EDC because of its size and multi-purpose (TQ or pressure bandage) - and it can be applied to children and animals as well (where other TQs may not work because of smaller limbs/bones).

The Israeli bandages are multi-purpose and get good ratings for a reason, the Olaes bandage seems to be superior with it's plastic pressure point cup (would also cover an eye) and the extra gauze it comes with - but both are bulky.
    So the Uriel Silver Emergency Multi Bandage (also from Israel AFAIK) could be a less bulky option as it comes in a smaller package (similar in size to a SWAT-T / combat gauze - stacks nice with both of them BTW) and has the advantage of a fixed and a movable pad - to cover entry/exit (if not a chest seal wound). Also extra gauze may be needed to stuff wounds.
    There are considerations that the Uriel could also be used as an (improvised) TQ - but I have my doubts about this (for example: no windlass/need a pen or similar). Comments/experiences anyone?

A triangular dressing, if packed sterile, can also work as a dressing for larger wounds that don't bleed too much, such as abrasion injury, or to fix limbs (which a SWAT-T also may work) - as mentioned several times in this thread.

As you can see I'm not finally settled on my "perfect small trauma kit" yet, but still consider the pros/cons of packing the mentioned items and what can be (and can not be) covered with them.

I play around with the idea of making it modular - so to start with SWAT-T & gauze, if more space is available: add another small pouch with triangular bandage, Uriel, and another one with chest seal, burn dressing, etc.
    Anyone already have thought through such a modular system is highly welcome to post or refer to a thread.

While I'm keeping my medical first responder training up to date above is not a medical advise, but some thoughts from a layman.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Sunday at 1:16 PM
    #46 FiaOlleDog, Jul 15, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 1:21 PM
  7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

All very good points.

From my perspective, it has to have the absolute basics for immediate trauma care, where more professional help is anything from five minutes to half an hour away.

So: Tourniquet, field dressing, triangular bandage, and a chest seal or two, vented by preference, but unvented if space restricts that.

The stuff I have at the moment is almost there; I'm trying to find a suitable UK-sourced compact field dressing (NOT Israeli-type), but other things have been interrupting the search of late.I should have an example of what I'll include in a couple of weeks, and then it's trying to find a suitable pouch to contain it all...! :frantic:

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  8. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Empty Pockets

Hence my mentioning of the Uriel Silver Emergency Multi Bandage - despite it also comes from Israel it's way smaller, IMHO.

This German medic compares above mentioned trauma bandages - from left to right: standard pressure dressing, Uriel, Israeli. Olaes

SkinnyMedic has a video about self-made chest seals:

Also his motivation (for this video) was budget, but if space is really restricted a zip lock bag (or plastic wrapping of the gauze or SWAT-T) and some duct tape cloud work, it could also fail - this is really a make-shift if nothing else is at hand. I would always prefer a commercial chest seal, vented.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Sunday at 4:27 PM
    #48 FiaOlleDog, Jul 15, 2018 at 3:08 PM
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018 at 4:27 PM