1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very small belt-mounted Immediate Trauma Kit?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by RogerStenning, Jun 17, 2018.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, last post first...

Right, that postdated my last training, so good to know, thanks. I'll use this regime from this point forwards. This also changes the tourniquet requirements slightly, so that the SWAT-T tourniquet is now suitable for the STK. This also makes the Rescue Essentials officers patrol kit eminently suitable, assuming I can get them into the UK without hellish import costs. Thoughts on that one would be appreciated!

2. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

I'd be really interested in seeing a photo of this kit when it is done.

Also, if you can find a SWAT-T in the UK can you let us all know?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've got a SWAT-T on the way via Amazon.co.uk, as it happens. Once I've got the kit sorted out, yes, I'll be posting photos. Might be a while, so don't hold your breath ;)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and Journo like this.
  4. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

RogerStenning likes this.
  5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

6. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Shrinking down the trauma kit is a challenge in itself - I'm still working on it, which runs my mind in circles around "what is REALLY needed".

I think it can't get any smaller then the Rescue Essentials kit which consists of SWAT-T, gauze and nitrile gloves.

Trying to carry "just a little bit" more I would consider adding a chest seal (Hyfin or other) and a burn dressing, and other stuff ...

While i keep a CAT 7 TQ in my larger pack the SWAT-T is my choice for EDC because of its size and multi-purpose (TQ or pressure bandage) - and it can be applied to children and animals as well (where other TQs may not work because of smaller limbs/bones).

The Israeli bandages are multi-purpose and get good ratings for a reason, the Olaes bandage seems to be superior with it's plastic pressure point cup (would also cover an eye) and the extra gauze it comes with - but both are bulky.
    So the Uriel Silver Emergency Multi Bandage (also from Israel AFAIK) could be a less bulky option as it comes in a smaller package (similar in size to a SWAT-T / combat gauze - stacks nice with both of them BTW) and has the advantage of a fixed and a movable pad - to cover entry/exit (if not a chest seal wound). Also extra gauze may be needed to stuff wounds.
    There are considerations that the Uriel could also be used as an (improvised) TQ - but I have my doubts about this (for example: no windlass/need a pen or similar). Comments/experiences anyone?

A triangular dressing, if packed sterile, can also work as a dressing for larger wounds that don't bleed too much, such as abrasion injury, or to fix limbs (which a SWAT-T also may work) - as mentioned several times in this thread.

As you can see I'm not finally settled on my "perfect small trauma kit" yet, but still consider the pros/cons of packing the mentioned items and what can be (and can not be) covered with them.

I play around with the idea of making it modular - so to start with SWAT-T & gauze, if more space is available: add another small pouch with triangular bandage, Uriel, and another one with chest seal, burn dressing, etc.
    Anyone already have thought through such a modular system is highly welcome to post or refer to a thread.

While I'm keeping my medical first responder training up to date above is not a medical advise, but some thoughts from a layman.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jul 15, 2018
    #46 FiaOlleDog, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

All very good points.

From my perspective, it has to have the absolute basics for immediate trauma care, where more professional help is anything from five minutes to half an hour away.

So: Tourniquet, field dressing, triangular bandage, and a chest seal or two, vented by preference, but unvented if space restricts that.

The stuff I have at the moment is almost there; I'm trying to find a suitable UK-sourced compact field dressing (NOT Israeli-type), but other things have been interrupting the search of late.I should have an example of what I'll include in a couple of weeks, and then it's trying to find a suitable pouch to contain it all...! :frantic:

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  8. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Hence my mentioning of the Uriel Silver Emergency Multi Bandage - despite it also comes from Israel it's way smaller, IMHO.

This German medic compares above mentioned trauma bandages - from left to right: standard pressure dressing, Uriel, Israeli. Olaes

SkinnyMedic has a video about self-made chest seals:

Also his motivation (for this video) was budget, but if space is really restricted a zip lock bag (or plastic wrapping of the gauze or SWAT-T) and some duct tape cloud work, it could also fail - this is really a make-shift if nothing else is at hand. I would always prefer a commercial chest seal, vented.

Last edited by FiaOlleDog, Jul 15, 2018
    #48 FiaOlleDog, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  9. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

Hello,
    just want to say that I am not a professional in this field at all but have you considered large velcro Wire ties as a tourniquet? I wear one as my watch band. It is about 2 feet long and can be seriously tightened if you need it to be. It takes about 2 seconds for me to take it off of my watch and use it for other tasks. This might actually save you some space on your belt if you think these will work for that purpose.

[​IMG]velcro by Dominic Lodovichetti, on Flickr

10. Kevin Walker

Kevin Walker Empty Pockets

Lol!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Been somewhat busy the last couple of weeks, so not much work on this of late. I'm kinda busy this weekend too, darnit (Brother-in-law's brother's wedding & reception), but I'll pay a bit more attention on this next week (after the hangover!) :)

12. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

No. It wouldn’t be able to get tight enough and probably wouldn’t hold up to the pressure.

13. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

If I’m following, you have decided that the SWAT-T would be a sufficient tourniquet in place of the SOF-T?

If this is the case, then you could potentially eleminate the triangular bandage, because the SWAT-T could be used for most of the uses that you would want a triangular bandage which could save on space.

Rescue Essentials have a couple small belted mounted pouches for pretty cheap (although not sure once add shipping to UK) that might fit what you are wanting to carry.
    https://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue-essentials-sheath-with-belt-and-molle-option/
    https://www.rescue-essentials.com/patrol-officers-pocket-trauma-kit-holster-only/

14. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Interesting idea, however, see below...

I was thinking along similar ideas. Once you start to apply torque with whatever you're using as a windlass, the velcro's likely to let go - it's not intended for high-stress/high-torque adhesion/retention, after all.

Yeah, $40 basic international shipping is a little OTT for that item, sadly.

The Triangular is there for a variety of reasons, from immobilising an arm, to wrapping a split, and so on. Granted, the SWAT-T could do those things, but what if you have to both apply a tourniquet, and immobilise/splint another injury on the same victim? That's why the Triangular is included. YMMV, of course ;)

15. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Interesting. I'll have a look at the vids sometime this weekend.

16. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

Yes, the SWAT T is the multitool of the tourniquet world. Is it the best? Nope. Does it work? Yep. I was taught the best tourniquet is the one you have with you. The CAT and SOF T are great and very effective, but tough to carry on a daily basis in most civilian attire. I have the Rescue Essentials kit daily and find it very easy to carry and use. Just throwing a SWAT T in your pocket puts you way ahead of the game!

I’ve been playing with and carrying a RATS tourniquet lately. I like the lower profile and alternate modes of carry.

17. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

They say the $40 is just initial, then adjusted based on actual cost. You could potentially email them to see what the actual cost would be, they have been pretty responsive when I have asked questions. Plus if everyone’s items were ordered together it might make it more worth it. Just a thought if you can’t find another case for reasonable cost.

18. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

19. HappyGilmore

HappyGilmore Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info here. I can see now why those ties wont work for this purpose. I watched a number of videos by ENT's explaining the proper use for a tourniquet. I think for my EDC kit I am going to get an orange SWAT-T. Pair it with 2 triangular bandages (vacuum sealed to size). I don't think I can fit a hemostatic bandage in that small bag but will put one in my backpack.

Cheers,
    H.G.

20. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I run the BFG micro trauma kit and LOVE it!! I keep a TQ directly next to it, however I know some people that attach a TQ to the top of the kit with rubber bands.