1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Very small belt-mounted Immediate Trauma Kit?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by RogerStenning, Jun 17, 2018.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

If you're struggling to find a good belt mounted option, would an ankle rig work? Assuming you're wearing trousers, it's fairly unobtrusive

RogerStenning likes this.
  2. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I've seen the rigs you're on about; those were one of the first suggestions I made to the rest of the team, but it was voted down. Oh well. Back to the drawing board...

3. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Roger, I appreciate you want to standardise things across a team. Maybe you could just tell your chaps to do whatever they want to do, and feel comfortable with doing, when it comes to these things. While one may be happy with an ankle rig and another isn't, you do stress that you are all former RMP. I assume there is no dress regs now, hence the "former".

I am confused as to what it is you're doing. I work as a press medic, providing medical support to colleagues during demonstration, protests and hostile environments. The reasons I asked about insurance is because what happens to you if one of your team is injured and can't work, is that covered or is it just public liability. Also, when it comes to training is it in date, with certificates to prove it?

I have so many other questions, like will you provide aid to people who have been cuffed, who are you cuffing, what kind of events, blah blah blah, which you might not want to say on an open forum. But I think you are in a precarious position...

4. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Yeah, there are things I really can't talk about on here, correct. Re training, yep, it's all certificated. Re insurance, it's PLI & (can't remember the actual term, not near my files, as I'm at work, but it's the first aider equivalent of malpractice-based.

Re Loadouts, it's a valid consideration, but let's see the other avenues exhausted first, I think.

5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

OK, as part of the overall thinking regarding this STK, we're re-specifying a couple of items.
    • Instead of the SOF-TT(Gen2), we're going to go with the SOFTT-W, which can be staged much more compactly (i.e., flatter), due to it not possessing the wind-down clamp of the gen 2 version.
    • Instead of a FFD, we're going with a 5x9 combine ABD pad, which again packs much more compactly (does pretty-much the same job, but without the bandaging).
    • As a result of the space saving, we're able to add 4"x4" burn shield dressing.
    • These in addition to the vented chest seal and triangular bandage.
    We decided on the ABD pad since, in combination with the triangular bandage, we can attach it to open wounds much like an FFD.

Finally, until we can find a suitable pouch to carry that kit conveniently, we're also going with a distributed carry; the tourniquet will be carried on the belt (in a skeletonised pouch), the rest in the jacket or pockets.

Thoughts?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  6. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

Duct tape...

7. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

For taping their screams closed...?

ahem ;)

And yeah, good point :)

8. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ever thought about just a regular heavy duty fanny pack? Dosent get much more undercover than that :) [​IMG]

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

charlie fox likes this.
  9. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

It's not undercover work we do, merely low profile; there is a substantial difference.

We did indeed look at fanny packs, but unfortunately they do not work well when you're wearing a blazer or suit jacket, which is what we wear for most of the work we do.

The current thinking is to carry the STK distributed around the person, in pockets where the kit does not look out of place (no bulky pockets), and on the belt if it likewise does not 'show out'.

10. Kevin Walker

Kevin Walker Empty Pockets

Lunar Concepts makes a pretty low profile belt mounted IFAK pouch, but their books are closed right now, unfortunately.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Can't even see the range for when they open the order books up again, which is a shame :(

12. Kevin Walker

Yeah, I know. You can find MOLLE versions on other sites, but the belt mounted ones aren't available now. You can mount a MOLLE version on a belt, but not horizontally, which I believe would be a bit more low profile for shorter cover garments.

13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'll have a look for those when I get home. Should give me a better idea of what will be on offer when they open up for orders again.

14. Kevin Walker

Lunar Concepts posted a pretty good series of pictures of the kit I'm talking about on their Instagram on June 13, 2017. It's the post that made me want one.

15. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

This is honestly the smallest belt kit that I’ve found effective. It’s made by Rescue Essentials and holds a SWAT T tourniquet, a compressed gauze dressing and a pair of gloves. It can be worn vertically or horizontally on the belt. I’ve put it next to a Sharpie for size comparison.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When I carry it I usually add a pair of small trauma shears, which ride well in the extra belt loops
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gary Gross likes this.
  16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Pouch-wise, it looks like it might well do the main job of holding the tourniquet; however, we looked at the SWAT-T tourniquet, but assessed that it doesn't easily allow for regular decompression to allow for tick-over bloody supply to prevent limb loss through lack of blood (regular capillary refill test applies); we have therefore decided on the SOF-W as our preferred tactical tourniquet, for both size and usage requirements. This said, I wonder if the SOF-W would fit that pouch? Also, given prohibitive shipping costs from the US to the UK (not to mention the outrageous import costs we suffer) I couldn't find any resellers of Rescue Essentials in the UK?

17. charlie fox

I would rethink the loosening of any tourniquet once applied - it will do more harm than good.

nursetim 40 likes this.
  18. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

The last structured training I received on that (three years ago, due for renewal this year) stated that brief loosening should be maintained every five or so minutes to prevent further tissue necrosis, thus staving off the onset of gangrene in the longer run, and preventing limb loss. No doubt if there's a change to this regime, it'll be passed on in the next course.

19. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

How long are you imagining that you are looking after a casualty for? I don't think that you should be taking the TQ off at all, and that jives with recent training I have received. Two hours is about the time when nerve and tissue damage starts to occur...

20. charlie fox

Nope;
    http://www.realfirstaid.co.uk/tourniquets/