1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vertx EDC Satchel and a Camera

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Sloman, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Per the Vertx website:

THE EDC SATCHEL WAS DESIGNED TO DELIVER AMPLE SPACE FOR STANDARD SLR CAMERAS WHILE PROVIDING THE BEST FEATURES FOR PROPER EVERYDAY CARRY.

I searched the web over to find a pic of the Satchel with a camera in it. Results? Nothing found. After which I wrote Vertx and asked if they had indeed put a camera in a Satchel and if so, was it protected. Response? None, Nada, Zip.

Hey Vertx, I want to believe in your product, but come on guys, if you gonna say it fits an SLR camera, show a pic of one IN THE DANG PRODUCT! A reply back sure would be nice. Oh that's right, I'm just one person, not a purchaser for a metro police dept. Dang.

Has anyone used the Vertex Satchel to carry a camera? If so, what was your experience?
    Thank you very much.

2. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Ok, just got back a reply from Vertx Customer Service:

Good morning, XXX

While the Satchel's inherent use was not designed with the SLR Camera in
    mind, it's my understanding it has been used to carry one. Our
    Tactigami can help secure accessories but the bag is not equipped with
    special padding or straps to secure the camera in place.

If you haven't already, you may want to browse through our Store Locator
    to see if there is a dealer local to you that carries our line of bags
    so you can see it in person.XXXXXXX

Our return policy is very liberal if you choose to order only to find it
    doesn't suit your purposes.

Thank you for your interest in Vertx!

3. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Ok, so does ANYONE out there have the Satchel? If so, how do you like it?

4. Reaper66

Reaper66 Empty Pockets

Mine should be here today. :)

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk

5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I do. I bought it last year some time...late summer, I think. Maybe mid-summer. I keep coming back to it because I spent money on it and want to like it. After talking about it elsewhere on edcf, I tried it again for a couple days last week.

Pros:

The strap pad that comes with it is great.
    The CCW zipper pull works decently...for a bag....it's still more than a 3-second penalty compared to a good OWB holster....which is unacceptable to me.
    The materials are very good.
    The workmanship is good.

Cons:

It's heavy, mostly from extra material inside the bag...and what feels like 4 or 5 layers of material everywhere.
    The zippers are cheap. And slow. And loud. They're not as bad as the zippers on cheap, sub-$50 Chinese bags. But they're bad.
    The bottle pocket retention is horribly done.
    The "handle" is okay at best. But at least it's unobtrusive. And it does, technically, work.
    The strap is a :censored: to adjust.
    The padding will pull on your shirt and make it uncomfortable without keeping the bag still.
    ...It will also exacerbate printing.
    The waist retention strap thing was designed by someone who'd never used a strap for that purpose. It's useless.
    The top flap organizer is useless...it kinda works with nice pocket clips but will not old anything on it's own, not even a pen. I've had empty dog waste bags fall out by noon when stuffed deep in one of the smaller slots at 9.
    The sleeve at the back of the inside is dumb, floppy, and weak.
    ...And, the velcro closure strap for it covers up a zipper.
    If you use the CCW pocket for a CCW or mags and don't want to expose them, you use up the only quick-access part of the bag.

Basically...it's really bulky and wastes a lot of space with useless "features" that don't quite pan out. It's a really well made bag with a :censored: design....which sucks, because I think it looks really good and still really want to like it. But I don't.

As for the OP's question....I've never put any of my camera gear in it. It hasn't even crossed my mind to try. But, if you did....you'd have all your EDC junk either falling on top of your camera or banging into the sides of it. Basically every camera bag I've used, owned, looked at, or seen is a better choice....except maybe those joke bags that beginners get suckered into buying as part of a useless starter kit.

My verdict: I haven't decided what to do with mine. I'm in the process of moving, and I've decided it won't make it to the new place. I just haven't decided where it's going to go. The strap pad, however, I'll keep for as long as it'll last. It's the best part of the bag by a wide margin and better than any other strap pad I've used.

I say this while wearing Vertx pants and contemplating more, so it's not a problem with the company. I just really think the satchel is a terrible bag.

Sloman likes this.
  6. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Thanks Moostapha! Your keen observations have helped me make a decision.