1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vertx EDC Satchel: a Frankenstein

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Sloman, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Whoever designed this bag should be patted on the back and kicked in the tail at the same time. Why?

Pros:
    •Bag well made: the material is great and the construction is spot on. I did not see one errant thread or bad spot in the material.
    •CCW compartment: easy to get to. Easiest CCW pack I've ever tested to get to weapon fast.
    •CCW handle: great idea, make the pull bigger than all the others so it's easy to identify and use. Great idea!
    •Carry Strap: great design. You adjust the strap in increments.
    •Fuzzy Velcro Everywhere! Hey 5.11, you need to use velcro like Vertx does.

Cons:
    •Bag has no handle. Try putting a decent load in it and picking it up. I don't care how they market it, the 'handle' being the front flap is stupid. Looks like a broken bag rather than a great design. Whoever thought this up obviously doesn't carry one.
    •Bag's main compartment hard to get open: If you try to zip up the main compartment, you will snag on the rounded edges. Again, who designed this thing? Better yet, who tested it and said "wow, this bag is perfect! It's ready for market!"
    •Front compartment is useless: Sure you can use the molly, but getting inside that compartment takes a feat of strength. Velcro is great, but I just hope don't you have to get into it single handedly. Then you have to get around the errant straps that are in the way.
    •Shoulder Pad: comfy? Yes! Huge? Yes! I'm 5'6" and the pad looked hideous against my body.
    •Size of Pack: it's too dang big. It's not a "Satchel" it's a dang piece of "luggage" (as described by my wife). An iPad will fit nicely in it, but a 13" MacBook Pro will not, it's shy by about 1". Height on the pack is too much. Take off about 4-5" in the height and it will look like a satchel. Other than that, it looks like carry on luggage for an airplane, not a EDC pack.
    •Price: little too high there boys.
    •Water bottle holders: if you look at each water bottle holder, there's a "D" ring on each. I had to call the manufacturer to have them tell me what it was for. The agent stated that you put the pull tabs through the rings and then over the bottle's neck. Oh? And why is there no documentation for this with the bag? So you put features on a bag that no one can figure out?
    •This is NOT a camera bag: Vertx hypes this as a type "camera bag". If that's the case, how come there's no dividers in the bag or padding on the bottom to protect the camera. Can you put a camera in it? Sure, but at your own risk. I tried it, no dice.

All in all, save your money. Vertx has marketed this bag one way on their videos, then another way on their website. But then you get the bag and say, "Wait....what??" I really think they put this Frankenstein together and then said, "Now how are we gonna market it?" or one dept. made it and the other said, "oh geez, thanks fellas, now how we gonna push thousands of these out the door? I know, we’ll call it an EDC bag and a camera bag." That guy has probably been promoted by now. Boy genius there. Marketing, you got to love it.

So the "EDC Satchel" is a hodge-podge, thrown together bag that will make you scratch your head once you get it and make you try to figure out how you're going to use it.

Keep shopping. Your mileage may vary, mine was returned to Amazon for a refund.

moostapha likes this.
  2. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Now you having scorned the satchel, what would you come out on the courier? Personally disdain any shoulder bag without a handle, the only exception are the mission workshop messengers.I did see the videos of the Vertx bags dangling haphazardly from the waistline of the Vertx pointman.

3. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

Sorry tigz, don't understand the question: "what would you come out on the courier?" Can you elaborate?

4. tigz

tigz Loaded Pockets

Wellan

5. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I've played with one in an LGS briefly, and it sucks even worse. It's at least not frustratingly tight, but it's even bulkier and more annoying.

Vertx just makes bad bags. The EDC Satchel is the thing I really wanted to love but just can't. Maybe if you don't need to quickly get to anything except the CCW....

6. ppfd

ppfd Loaded Pockets

Had one as well, agree with the points above and to add.
    The bag always fell over, anything you put in the lid slot pockets fell out.
    I sold it pretty quick and did't take too much of a beating.