1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vertx EDC Gamut likes and dislikes

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by LivingUpNorth, Nov 26, 2018.

1. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I’ve had my Vertx EDC Gamut for about 3 months now, and thought I’d share my thoughts. This won’t be a full-on review, detailing each and every feature/pocket of the pack as there are several YouTube reviews already, but I’ll discuss what I like and don’t like about it. That said, if you have any specific questions, let me know, and I’ll do my best to answer them.
    I wanted to replace my nearly perfect Maxpedition Kodiak with a pack that was not only a bit less tactical looking, but more importantly, had two straps to relieve the increasing discomfort on my shoulders and neck from a loaded single-sling pack. The Vertx EDC Gamut was a bit pricey, IMO, but looked great and seemed to have a ton of features.
    Things I like:
    1. Beautiful pack! That’s in the eye of the beholder, of course, and though I’m still drawn to tactical looking packs, I’ve yet to see a “grey man” pack that looks this sharp. I really dig the dark blue with grey-tan panels. “Midnight Stone” is their color for it. (Their larger Gamut Plus has some nice available colors, too.)
    2. Front panel can be zipped shut, hung open to serve as a beaver-tail for helmet/jacket storage, or tucked away completely under the MOLLE panel beneath. This lets me choose if I want to remain discreet or expose the MOLLE panel and attach additional pouches. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. I currently have it zipped shut with some lights clipped into the webbing along with a couple of loose items.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3. Very comfortable, adjustable main straps with a removeable chest strap and tuckable waist strap. Many options for securing it to your body.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4. Full-length CCW pocket that can be configured to your liking, with large, easy-open zipper grab. Having a CCW pocket was a personal requirement, so many grey-man packs were eliminated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things that disappoint me:
    1. The pack doesn’t really expand…at all. This means it’s not easy to add a weekend’s worth of clothes if you already have a fair amount of EDC stuff. On that note…
    2. All of the internal pockets expand inwardly, taking up much of the overall internal volume of the pack. This can be problematic with any pack if you have a ton of EDC stuff, but it seems more so with this one.
    Main flap interior pockets:
    [​IMG]
    Main interior space with organizational pouches I added:
    [​IMG]
    3. The exterior side pockets, when full, take up the volume of the attached water bottle pockets. So, each pocket is either one or the other, not both. Right now, I have one side pocked filled with admin items, but leave the other side empty so I can carry a water bottle.
    Admin side:
    [​IMG]
    Almost empty side:
    [​IMG]
    With a 32oz Liberty Bottleworks aluminum bottle:
    [​IMG]
    4. Some of the storage problems can be resolved by adding pouches to the MOLLE panel mentioned above, but I prefer to leave it covered and not have a ton of external pouches.
    Overall, it’s a nice pack and I really like how it looks. I’m not in love with it, though, for the reasons described above.

Would I recommend it?
    1. Yes, if:
    - You want a great looking, discreet CCW-capable EDC backpack with a lot of features.
    - You don’t carry a ton of EDC items (subjective) and still want a regular backpack.
    - If form and aesthetics ranks very highly in your decision and you’re willing to put up with any perceived shortcomings.
    2. No:
    - If function beats everything.
    - Just costs too much.

So, what would I get if I had to do it over? The Alpha One-Niner Evade would probably be the top discreet pack, but I’m not a fan of the hanging pouch system, though it is a creative solution. Maybe the 2.0 is better? If I couldn’t find a grey-man pack that worked, I’d return to the tactical look, with the Direct Action Dragon Egg in their Urban Grey or Adaptive Green color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chaosmagnet, Nick4305 and GoBliNuke like this.
  2. Brainbox

Brainbox Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the new 5.11 packs.

The new AMP packs available in 3 different sizes look good. If you relocate the external hexgrid load bearing platform on the inside the bags don’t look so tackticool. You can add other components on the outside too. I’m going to have a look at it next week in my nearest store.

3. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I really wanted to like this pack, but in the end don’t really and found it had a lot less usable capacity than what I was expecting. It is suppose to have a 10L greater capacity than my Maxpedition Falcon-II Pygmy, but in reality when I started putting stuff in, the usable space didn’t seem like it was that much bigger.

You are spot on about the side organizer pockets impede use of mesh water bottle pockets. As it was my Nalgene stainless bottle didn’t fit in the pocket at all, and if you put anything in the side organizer pockets, there is little space to fit almost anything. Plus if you use the organizer slots on the top inside, it becomes difficult to put much in the exterior to pocket. I found the internal zippered organizer pockets are good for flatter items but do not allow fatter objects.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is the most frustrating pack that I have ever tried to use.

My observations are pretty much the same as yours but I also know that this has been chronicled here a lot already too so it did not have to be a surprise for the buyer either.
    I had read a few similar reports but even refused to accept them at face value when I found this pack locally at a distributor for what seemed like a great price at the time but soon I found out for myself how impossible it would be to be useful to me as an EDC pack at all really.

Just sad all the way around.

I plan to not buy Vertx again from it.

The Evade is an amazing pack on the other hand and does hold a lot more than it seems it can?
    I do not like the zippers really at all but otherwise the pack just works and looks great too although maybe not as slick looking as the Gamut it does function for me in the end.

5. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I too was leered by a really good price and had read some good things about the Gamut.

I am on the wait list for the new Evade 2.0 and am looking even more forward to it since the Gamut didn’t work like I was hoping it would.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Same here.
    I am excited to see the improvements as the first Evade has been so good!

SOS24 likes this.
  7. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

It’s a great pack if you can get it to fit your needs. Love mine. It’s my ever day work pack. It’s done two tours of Disney dad duty.

What I appreciate is that it spreads most of its volume out over its height so it stays thin and low profile. Perfect for being in tight spaces like on a bus. I am 6’5 so it looks like a normal size pack on me.

8. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

The low profile is one of the reasons I purchased it and why I was hoping I would like it.

9. LivingUpNorth

Those packs do look pretty good, but still pretty spendy at the moment. Definitely on the list of possibilities.

10. LivingUpNorth

I'll see how it goes. While I do like it (for the most part), there's always a chance it could end up on eBay over the next year.

11. EFX

EFX Loaded Pockets

(Just so everyone knows, I saw a YouTube video from February and the guy said if you use the code LLOD on the vertx website they take 25% off, I tried it just now and it actually takes 30% off. I kinda want one but I'm already covered by my Litespeed but I figured some of you guys might be able to use the code).

video:

Last edited by EFX, Nov 29, 2018
    #11 EFX, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Myrddraal likes this.
  12. Armsman

Armsman Empty Pockets

I ordered one while they had the Black Friday sale going on to put an AR pistol in. It should be delivered tomorrow.

13. dndahead

dndahead Empty Pockets

I got mine in today and have moved everything over to it from my now floppy and sagging Swiss Gear bag. Initial thoughts: I can see how this bag can be frustrating to others and I see why people say this bag "works" smaller than it looks and is supposed to be based on it's size. Looking at what I carry and the size of some items I carry, this bag is going to make me change or reduce the size of items I carry. This isn't a bad thing as I really have no use for some things or for full size versions of some items. I'm making a list of things to change and remove that were in my normal rotation. Once I do that, I think I'm going to love this bag. Not that I don't really like it for the 3 hours I've had it now (haven't left the office with it yet), but I think it's benefits which LivingUpNorth pointed out will shine.

Quality wise, this thing is 1st class. From the straps to the leather accents to the inner linings and mesh, everything feels solid and well thought out in terms of placement. Maybe I'll do an initial report and then another one a month from now for those curious about the bag because I mulled over this and others for a while.

14. 01bugtruck

01bugtruck Loaded Pockets

I received a few too many comments on its size, especially when loaded up with a heavy sweatshirt and a raincoat on top of my normal EDC, it gets very large. The last time was at the car dealership and the service tech commented.. "Wow that's a huge backpack, what do you have in there? "...that was it for me, great pack but draws unwanted attention to itself. I have since used it for travel but it mostly sits in the closet now.
    Personally love all the Velcro and wish more packs utilized it. It's also very comfortable to wear.
    excellent bag, just not for me though.

15. dndahead

dndahead Empty Pockets

You can easily make this bag balloon in size when loading it out with gear. After almost 24 hours with it, I've already started slimming down things I used to carry, such as going from travel size deodorant and a baby wipes container to those flat deodorant wipes and Wet Ones. I'm going to keep a light jacket in my bag and to keep it small, I'll use a packing cube. I've seen enough YouTube vids of people with mini organizers and pouches to help store gear and that's probably what I'll do, especially with the molle and Velcro sections.

It's definitely a pack that takes some getting used to because it's more tall than deep (in terms of carrying packing) but I will take these "hassles" for the slim look it gives me when walking around.

16. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

Anyone know what the rectangular Multicam Black item is in the LLOD video? I checked the video, vid description/links, and comment section and could not ascertain. Ty

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

17. dndahead

dndahead Empty Pockets

At what time in the video?