1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vertical pockets

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Stutz, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Stutz

Stutz EDC Junkie

So I'm starting to realize that I really don't like front pants pockets that are cut vertically (such as in slacks). I much prefer pockets that are cut more horizontally, like traditional jeans pockets, for EDC. In my pants that have vertical pockets, stuff is always falling out when I sit down in any sort of reclined position (such as on a couch or La-z-boy type chair), because of how close the bottom of the opening is to the bottom of the pocket. I EDC a quarter in my front pocket, for example, and it's always left on the cushion of my recliner when I stand up...unless I'm wearing jeans.

To be fair, some pants are worse than others. Carhartts have fairly deep pockets and I don't have too much trouble with them even though they're often vertical or cut at a 45-degree angle. Slacks, khakis, and dress pants are the worst (luckily, I can't stand these kinds of soft, lightweight pants anyway—feels like I'm wearing pajamas in public). I haven't tried 5.11 pants because I'm not fond of that "operator" look, so I can't speak to those.

Another thing I dislike about vertical pockets is that my knife rides so much lower than it does in jeans.

I'm wondering if this bothers anyone else, or what people's experiences are, and if they choose certain pants over others because of it? I don't want to be limited to just jeans, but it's trending that way. It seems like any non-jeans pants these days have vertical-cut pockets.

I'll post pics of some examples if folks request clarification.

reppans likes this.
  2. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

It's not so much the angle of the opening but the depth of the pocket itself, I find that the better quality the trousers (pants) are, the less the maker will have skimped on pocket material.
    What I'm wearing usually dictates what I'm carrying. The climate in the UK usually means a jacket, which is where most of my stuff is carried.
    Often at the shop, if the customer complaint is that the vehicle seat won't slide or tilt, there is usually at least one coin trapped in the mechanism.

Stutz, kikaida and tmedina like this.
  3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much this. I wear Old Navy khakis to work a lot and being chea...ah...reasonably priced, if you wait for a sale, the pockets are just about worthless.

I have to focus keeping stuff in my pockets to a minimum so I don't lose anything.

Stutz likes this.
  4. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Agreed. It's the depth of the pocket that matters most.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

No pics needed. I think we all suffer from this. I've always felt that some pants have pockets only because they are "supposed" to have pockets. Kakhis are the worst for this. Any suggestions on pants with better designed pockets?

Paulgl26, Stutz and tmedina like this.
  6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My front pockets are strong, zip closing, and huge. I sew them so I can do what I want.

Sent by owl post.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I see I need to up my game :D

ManVsLawn and tmedina like this.
  8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

She might be needling you. Just sew you know.

ManVsLawn, echo63, Lou_G and 2 others like this.
  9. Kryptonian

Kryptonian EDC Junkie

Wranglers have nice pockets, in both there jeans and cargo pants/shorts. I try to keep my carry light, but I sometime ccw pocket carry, so the extra room is nice. They're inexpesive, but hold up well. Also the u shaped croch is a must. So many jeans companies try to pass off skinny jeans! No thank you!

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. Jby2206

Jby2206 Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of classic Dickie's. The pockets practically go straight down, instead of at an angle. My Endura rides terribly in these pants, so terrible I have to appendix carry my Endura.
    Another complaint, the belt loops are small. My 5.11 operator belt won't work with them. :(

ManVsLawn and Stutz like this.
  11. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I'm just the opposite. The reason I never wear jeans is that I hate the pockets.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  12. Dubbs

Dubbs Loaded Pockets

I'd love to see a photo.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  13. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Best I could do photo wise without taking them off. Top of the zipper is a couple of inches from waist, and 8 inches below waist at the side seam. No real reason to slant the top, but kind of looks like pockets from old flight suit. Basically about a square foot of pocket on each side of front of pants. I use a walker and was in a wheelchair for 8 years. Back pockets are useless, and side pockets can hang up on walker handles when you sit down. Stitching them on the front makes them completely accessible when sitting, driving, etc.

Sent by owl post.

14. Dubbs

Dubbs Loaded Pockets

Wow! Thank you. What beautiful, big pockets. :tongue: Great design. I am totally envious ...but not willing to sew my own.

ManVsLawn and AK Adventurer like this.
  15. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Another fan of horizontal and hater of vertical pockets... the one other thing that I HATE....are pants with only three pockets - ie. only one back pocket. Do they really save that money by doing that? (sure ain't my money anymore :))

Stutz and FighterZak like this.
  16. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

At work they just changed the dress code to khakis only beige colored jeans anymore, I hate khakis because of the vertical pockets. I'm afraid of losing stuff out of them pockets are deep enough just stuff tends to fall out when you sit down.

Stutz likes this.
  17. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I remember years ago I had a pair of pants with a kind corner/catcher sewn into the pockets which would prevent things from falling out. Be darned if I can remember what kind they were though. :(

18. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'm going to give everyone a good laugh with this one.

When I was a kid, I remember, at some point, I had 3x pairs of shorts that were "Kris-Kross" Style. Remember them? They wore there pants backwards. 8) Wiggity wiggity wiggity wack.

Anyway these pockets were in the front, instead of the back. I don't remember how the back pockets were shaped.

[​IMG]

They were the best for pocket knives, wallets, etc.... Tight, square pockets.

Thought this would be funny for those that remember..

[​IMG]

Jump Jump!

(mine were shorts and I wore them with a belt at proper height...well, little bit of plumbah's crack) :bounce:

Stutz and Lou_G like this.