1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

vehicle thread?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by steviesterno, May 24, 2018.

1. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

Do we have a section or thread devoted to stuff we do to/with vehicles? I'm not looking at building a full on bug out/zombie truck but getting a larger SUV than I currently have is making me think it would be a good place to store and carry a bit more gear than my pockets typically can.

I'm looking for more "what did you do, add to, build, etc" FOR your vehicle rather than which car or truck you decided on and why. Like I have an FJ cruiser, and built rear cargo drawers to carry tools, jumper cables, etc.

Anybody else see their daily driver as an extension of what you can have handy?

skygear likes this.
  2. DSRacing

DSRacing Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a four door Toyota Tacoma which has multiple storage spaces behind and under the rear seats. I purchased a 5.11 RUSH delivery Lima to use for tool storage, LED work lights and a place to house a lithium Ion battery pack to replace my jumper cables. I've added a FAK and a Maxpedition Fatty for smaller tools.

Eventually my plans include a fiberglass shell with lockable bed mounted roll-out drawers. It's all a work in progress.

skygear, steviesterno and mash4077 like this.
  3. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

4. skygear

skygear Loaded Pockets

Our edc[​IMG]

Outbound, Ivarr, ran23 and 3 others like this.
  5. steviesterno

nice! I have a springtail rear rack like that, along with a pet divider.

Hoping to upgrade/trade the FJ into a GX 470, which is America's version of a Land Cruiser Prado. more room, more power, but not a lot of little spaces to store stuff it looks like.

skygear likes this.
  6. steviesterno

Ok, let's get some updated info and ideas here! I just got a Lexus GX 460 and it lacks on interior storage (but the specs and stuff rock) so it was a good trade off.

7. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I recently traded out from a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited to a Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie.
    I'm old and like creature comforts now.
    I haven't really put anything into the truck that was in the Jeep, because most of it will have to be stored in the bed under the cover which is not exactly waterproof.
    I also had off road type gear in the Jeep which will not be needed in the truck.

I've always had things in my vehicle as an extension of my EDC/vehicle emergency gear, but I am really trying to decide if that extra gear is worth it, and we are going into the summer season so that has also played a factor in my not adding extra gear.
    Most of it was "what if, just in case" kinda stuff.

There is plenty of storage room in the truck besides the bed, but I don't want a lot of "clutter" taking up every nook and cranny.
    Each item that does go back will have to be something worth the weight. (ie no full size shovel in the summer)
    Every item will need to be really useful versus a "just in case".

I look forward to others showing what they have, because maybe that will inspire me or give me options I hadn't considered.

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@JOE68: I drive a 2010 Chevy Impala. I don't keep a full size shovel in the car at any season -- not even winter snow/ice. During winter I use a short handled (D-handle), squared garden spade for just in case snow/ice issues. Shorter than a full size shovel; blade stout enough to chip away at ice if need be; much more compact. Probably heavier than the so-called emergency snow shovels sold for cars, but I learned long ago that a stout steel blade in winter was a huge help!

On the other hand I have a wheeled duffle of stuff in the trunk for emergencies, etc. (break-down warning triangles, FAK, extra lights and batteries, single use rain parkas and mylar blankets, some tools, etc. The bag is not light weight. But since the trunk is basically empty otherwise and I don't have anyone in the car besides me and sometimes the wife, no biggie!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I guess I'm going through a complacency period.
    For years I've carried emergency gear, and most of it has been to supply others due to their lack of having it.
    I've lived all across Canada, and my gear is a reflection of all those places.
    My "go bag" for years has been my vehicle - I've always had enough stuff in it to be OK for at least four days to a week.
    Deciding on how I'm going to store, what I'm going to store, what isn't going back in, and where exactly will be the best places to store the gear is a conversation I need to have with myself soon.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. steviesterno

When I cleaned my FJ out I realized just how much "stuff" I had accumulated back there. some of it was pretty decent like the small shovel, battery jump box, and tie down straps. Some stuff, like the second small thing of salt for ice, in Texas, in June, seemed like it could probably go.

my new goal is to figure out how to store/keep this stuff without using up my whole trunk area.

11. Moshe ben David

Well, you could always use a roof rack thus freeing up the trunk area! ;). :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. steviesterno

I looked but a roof rack is $1k for the one style I like, plus then anything up there is exposed to the elements. some of the stuff I want to carry (rifle/ammo) probably shouldn't get that wet...

13. Moshe ben David

@steviesterno: Dude! Dude! I was pulling your leg!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

steviesterno likes this.
  14. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

'my new goal is to figure out how to store/keep this stuff without using up my whole trunk area'

This is mine too when it comes to the truck.
    Some things I don't care if they go into the bed area, but other things I'd like to keep within the confines of the cab area.
    I also don't want every spot taken up so that it starts to look cluttered up
    I have a tote box for holding things like rope, ratchet straps, bungees, and a tarp
    I have another one which is empty that I use to put the groceries in.
    I'll be looking with a critical eye as I put things into the truck for form and function.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah what you really need is a small trailer!

Moshe ben David and steviesterno like this.
  16. steviesterno

well I ordered some connectors for 1" aluminum tube, and if I get some free time this weekend I'm going to make myself a rear shelf back there. I have an idea of how it should turn out, but as we all know that doesn't mean it will work

17. Moshe ben David

Look forward to seeing your final product. Don't announce the date of work -- maybe Murphy will miss out! ;)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David