1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Mount for Smartphone

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Flying Dutchman, May 29, 2013.

1. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Loaded Pockets

Thinking of getting a new smartphone, wondering if any of you use a windshield or dash mount for your phone and if they work well. I know they are all pretty universal but I am thinking one for a Droid Razr M specifically if it makes a difference.

Like anyone, I want it to stick to any surface and stay there until I remove it, haha.

Thanks!

2. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I haven't bought it yet, but the $20 iOttie one touch one on amazon is currently in my shopping cart. If you read the reviews, the suction cup on it is crazy strong. I guess its more of a gel type cup as opposed to stiffer rubber, so it can even stick to textured dash panels and contours. Beware though, some of the user pictures show that it's strong enough to leave a ring on softer dash material that doesn't go away.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Justinicus likes this.
  3. Flying Dutchman

That sounds good....I want to use it in my Peterbilt. Which I like to keep clean, but a ring mark after thousands of convenient miles will be a small price to pay. The rough ride is what concerns me most....its smooth in truck terms but doesn't ride quite as nice as a commuter car :)

Thanks for commenting

4. Flying Dutchman

I wonder if it will accomodate with an Otterbox case....

5. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I have this and it is good to go. I use a preexisting suction cup base the previous owner installed on the dash.

6. tltb26

tltb26 Loaded Pockets

My coworker gave me two that didn't work out to his liking:
    1) Vent mounted-Stability was decent but completely blocked all the air from exiting that vent which was the reason I stopped using it. 2) An older model Arkon flexible gooseneck seat bolt mount. I still use this today; it was given to me about 1.5 yrs ago. I believe he paid about $30 shipped. Considering how much I have pulled, pushed, and readjusted the gooseneck and unbolted and rebolted the entire mount...it has maintained at least 90-95% stability. The loss in stability may also be due to my previous ignorance of the adjusters on the mount which resulted in overtightening and cross threading. Most recently one of the tabs in which the device sits...broke off. So a combination of these variables results in a tiny rattle to a moderate shake depending on driving conditions. But I'm never concerned that my device will fly or fall off and I don't find the mount to be obstructive or space consuming.

**I have never cared for the mounts that stick to windows or areas in which can or may obstruct visibility. But that's just me. ;)

7. landshark67

landshark67 Loaded Pockets

I have an iOttie that I got for pretty cheap. Had it for about two months and I'm happy with it.

8. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

A friend printed me one with his 3d printer
    Its specifically designed to fit an iphone 4S with an otterbox defender case, and allow charging

He left the vehicle mounting up to me, so i bent up a bracket and screwed it into the dash using the same mount as the stereo

[​IMG]

I dont intend upgrading my phone anytime soon, and i like the defender covers too
    I also like that it tops the charge off as i drive.
    My next job is to find a switched power cable, and hide the charger wire by running it down the bracket and in behind the dash

SAKplumber likes this.
  9. Skipperbrown

Skipperbrown Loaded Pockets

I have the arkon mount and it has served me well for 3+ years.

10. speeddemon40

speeddemon40 Loaded Pockets

11. ak415

ak415 Loaded Pockets

I use a ProClip mount in the car, been happy with it. It's a two-part system where you purchase a car model-specific base for the mounting location you want, and a device-specific mount that attaches to the base.

Using their base I had kludged my own magnetic holder for my old Palm Pre. I later switched to an iPhone and got one of their iPhone-specific mounts.

If you sign up to their newsletter you'll be notified of their sales - usually during holidays and are 10% off.

12. JP5

JP5 Loaded Pockets

Pro-Clip is by far the best solution I've seen, I'm really happy with mine. I'll get pictures later if you'd like. It's spendy but well worth while.

GG_Blaisdell likes this.
  13. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I have been using Sticky Roadsters and they are working quite well. No suction cups to fail, no weird attaching points, or any unnecessary contraptions. Cheap, simple.

alex fekete likes this.
  14. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

You can also check out ram-mounts. They sell permanent and non permanent options, custom fit to your phone(as long as you aren't using a case. They do have a "universal" phone holder that plays well with non nekkid phones) I use a RAM mount for my gps on my motorcycle.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Tom Slick likes this.
  15. Bigdaddyrooster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bigdaddyrooster Loaded Pockets

I have two of these, great units hold even a monster note 2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

16. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I use a Samsung Galaxy S4 with an Otterbox case and it fits perfectly in this mount .

17. UrbanWarrior

UrbanWarrior Loaded Pockets

18. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

I bought a GripGo at Walmart and the thing works amazingly well... mounts my iPhone 4S in a Trident case to the glass on my pickup.
    It takes a beating off-road and still sticks tight... but you can peel it off in seconds.

19. m@tt

m@tt Loaded Pockets

I have an Arkon universal - its pretty sick. Fits all kinds of phones.

20. KLF

KLF Loaded Pockets