1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle EDC Loadout

Discussion in 'Travel' started by JeremyV, Jul 28, 2019.

1. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Have you ever been in a car wreck? It is a disorienting experience that impairs your coordination. If I've been in a wreck bad enough that I have to cut myself out of my seat belt, I want a very thoroughly shielded cutting device, like the RESQME or one of those cheap orange hammers with the razor blade (like this). Neither option is very expensive, but either is much safer than trying to use a razor blade while in shock and/or injured.

post tenebras, FiaOlleDog and garza like this.
  3. KD5JHA

KD5JHA Loaded Pockets

unfortunately in the state where I reside sale and possession of rescue cutters are restricted by law to sworn first responder personnel. (Idiot Lawmakers we have) you can’t purchase anything like what you describe here, amazon often times won’t even ship them to our addresses. But a hookbill carpet/shingle blade is perfectly legal and basically safe. Scissors would be your only next best option.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's insane! I (sort of) understand the logic behind super-aggressive knife bans, but banning safety equipment?! I'm sorry to hear that.

Probably not for long, it sounds like.

Nick4305 likes this.
  5. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Between the two, I'd think the hammer is the better tool than the RESQME. Look at the photos showing the models holding the tool: they're all holding it very gingerly, pinching the tool in nimble fingers. It does not appear to be a tool that would have very good grip for pulling thru tough or tangled seat belt. In a crash your find motor control is likely gone (you're most likely in shock) so you need a tool that requires only gross motor control to use. The hammer tool just requires a reasonably secure hammer-grip and a pull (while the head provides a hard stop if you cant grip tight enough), instead of pinching the tool between your fingers like the RESQME.

But that's just my take.

Nick4305 and jag-engr like this.
  6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Great points. I agree with all of your points. In particular, I like your point about the head of the hammer offering a stop. That would be helpful if the you had jammed or broken fingers.

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  7. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Not sure how difficult it would be for you, but have the item shipped to someone in a different state, and then reship it to you. In a Life or death situation, they would be stupid to prosecute someone for saving a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

9. TheGremlin

TheGremlin Loaded Pockets

That is one of the most ridiculous bans I think I have ever heard of... if it were me, I might consider getting one and just keeping it out of sight. Not recommending illegal actions, just saying what I would do. For your situation though, bearing disorientation and a loss of fine motor control in mind, what about something like the Stanley 10-499 box cutter? From what you say it should be completely legal, but still offer the "safe cutting" abilities of a rescue cutter. [​IMG]

This shows the knife extended, but the slot just shy of the end allows a small bit of the blade to be exposed but guarded when the blade is retracted as well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#29 TheGremlin, Oct 17, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    jag-engr likes this.
  10. egp

egp Loaded Pockets

Thinking about the stupidity of this ban, takes me back, in the late 80’s I worked security, I was trained and licensed to carry a collapsible baton (asp) and a few other things. After I left that work, I still carried, still do, the ASP in my truck, got pulled over one night on a felony traffic stop (my vehicle resembled one they were looking for in a drive by). The cops went through every nook and cranny, played 100 questions with me. In the end, although they turned me loose, they went off on me for the baton, I showed them my training card, they said that once I stopped working security, it became an impermissible dangerous weapon. I played dumb, they let me keep it, but warned me about it, my stance has been twofold, I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and just feign ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RogerStenning and ran23 like this.