1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle EDC Loadout

Discussion in 'Travel' started by JeremyV, Jul 28, 2019.

1. JeremyV

JeremyV Loaded Pockets

So with getting a SUV with lots of room it’s got me thinking. EDC isn’t just what’s on our persons all the time, it’s what we keep in our vehicles. Wether it be Bugout supplies or just spare items. I’m interested in what you guys keep at all times in your rides! I’ll post pics of mine after I get it situated how I would like, but for now I’ll make a list.

Up front with me in center console:
    -spare flashlight
    -knife
    -multitool

Back:
    -tow rope
    -jumpers
    -mag light flashlight
    -hatchet
    -spare water
    -general purpose med kit.

I have lots more to get to be properly prepared but I will slowly ad on. Let’s hear what you all have!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. JeremyV

JeremyV Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just how I’m starting to set it up. Need to get an organizer for up top and get a newer tool kit in a bag not plastic case as the plastic slides all over the place.

3. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Gloves
    Phone charger with an extra one for the wife
    Ice scrapper

WillAdams and reppans like this.
  4. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I recently downsized from a campervan to a minivan rigged as stealth camper.... with enough camping/backpacking gear for self-supported camping for a day or two.

#4 reppans, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    WillAdams, twin63 and EZDog like this.
  5. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Headtorch, carrier bags,

Moshe ben David and garza like this.
  6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I always have some type of ground cover / heavy cloth in case I need to kneel / lay on something to change a tire or otherwise work on the car in inclement weather. Recently, I got a free moving blanket w/purchase from Harbor Freight which fits the bill. Ever change a tire on new, black asphalt in Laughlin, NV on a 105F day? I have, and it absolutely roasted my knees, and quickly, too.

7. JeremyV

JeremyV Loaded Pockets

Note taken. Emergency blanket. Will get one this week.

echo victor likes this.
  8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I keep a piece of HD foam that once was a pad for under a sleeping bag in my car for that purpose. Some folks have also recommended a scrap of carpet for kneeling on. Even better for anyone in snow country: get two pieces; the rough backing can be used to help tires get a grip to get off of an icy patch! If you don't have any scrap carpet at home go to a local flooring store. They're always having to toss out samples of carpet that are not being sold any longer; they may even give you a couple of pieces if so. (I used to work in flooring you see!)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

WillAdams and Durandal64 like this.
  9. DrummrsAnonymous

DrummrsAnonymous Empty Pockets

Some great suggestions here so far.

My wife and I always keep large totes in our vehicles to corral purchases (especially groceries) and make them easier to carry in the house. We use a couple Thirty-one Utility Totes each - they’re well-built, relatively inexpensive, and carry a bunch.

I keep a few other smaller packable bags as well - a backpack and some small totes. There’s usually a hat/cap or two in my glove box to keep my bald head warm or protected from the sun.

10. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I'll post pictures later.

Under my rear seats, tow strap, air compressor, backpack full of tools, tire repair kit, gauges, gloves, all secured with a bike lock.

In the cargo trunk, I keep a med kit, fixed blade, spyderco southard, paracord, emergency blanket and food, and some eating utensils.

In console I have a small med kit, power bank, cords, tissue, napkins, dog poop bags, and leatherman ps4.

On my roof rack I have some traction boards and extra fuel (rotopax), though I only mount them for offroad or camp trips.

11. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I'll take pictures when I get to camp tomorrow.

[​IMG]

echo victor and Nick4305 like this.
  12. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Toilet paper, plug patch, crowbar, fire extinguisher, tow truck in a box, tie downs, throw bag.

13. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Don't store batteries in the flashlight. I've had them leak inside and ruin the light - only finding out when I NEEDED it. They were alkaline, I don't know if lithiums would fare better, especially with the big temperature swings that can occur inside a car.

WillAdams likes this.
  14. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Lithium’s way better.

15. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

2001 Dodge Ram 4x4 5.9L

Drivers Door Pocket: Squeegee, work gloves, (ice scraper in winter), LED maglite

Center Console: Tire gauge, multi-tool, shammy cloth, extra usb charger, pens and markers, notepad, spare batteries, small first aid kit, old Dean Koontz audio book on tape

Under back seat: 2x 12v outlets, big 1000a jump pack on a trickle charge, 12v compressor with long lead, fix-a-flat, tool roll with wrenches, sockets etc), trauma kit, small electrical kit with volt meter, tape, fuses and connectors, 6x tie-downs, extra work gloves, extra bulbs for exterior lights, travel bog roll, 2x tow ropes rated at 10k, 10k shackle for receiver

Bed of truck: Empty because tweekers ruin all the fun

[​IMG]

Last edited by Durandal64, Jan 24, 2020
    #15 Durandal64, Jan 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  16. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Ages ago, I got a heavy duty aluminum flashlight which has a shake generator in it to charge a capacitor --- wish I'd bought spares, haven't seen an equivalent since.

17. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Ooo. Vehicle EDC. This should be fun. :)
    For reference, I drive a 5th-gen Toyota 4Runner

Driver's door pocket:
    Ice scraper and a rag. Year-round. Better they be there in the summer, unneeded, than to need them in the winter and forgot to put them back.
    Passenger door pocket:
    nothing
    Glovebox:
    nothing but the manuals

Front center console:

a notepad and pen, on which I keep record of my fuel mileage.
    a 3-mode LED worklight from harbor freight. White, Red, Blinking Red. It's mostly intended to be an emergency beacon if I have to change a tire at night
    micro-USB phone charger
    USB-A phone charger
    side-post terminal wrench (I know enough people with GM cars that this has been handy)
    spare mask (for those people that still live in fear, and in case I manage to somehow forget mine)
    tire pressure gauge

Cargo Area, in a milk crate:
    • Multi-piece tool kit (bit driver, hex keys, sockets...)
    • Hitch and hitch ball (in their storage box)
    • Tool bag with a pair of Hardy mechanix-type gloves, a couple pair of pliers, box cutter, 1/4"x10' chain, 12V mini air compressor, and 2x 1"x10' ratchet straps (in storage case)
    • OSHA-approved reflective safety vest. If you don't have one of these in your vehicle, well, you're ballsier than I am. I don't want to be on the side of the road, at night, and not stand out like the Beacons of Gondor.
    Cargo Area, misc.
    • An old queen-size wool blanket, mainly for use if I get stuck in the truck in a snowdrift and don't/can't run the engine.
    • A Carharrt coat, some insulated bib overalls, and a pair of work boots.
    • In a side compartment are a set of jumper cables and a drop lamp with alligator clips so I can run it directly off a battery.
    • In the factory jack compartment is the jack and associated tools, along with an old shower curtain for use as a ground cover in bad weather.
    • I keep a folding director's chair in the back simply for convenience. I've been to enough events (ballgames and the like) where I've needed a chair that I found it easier to just leave one in the truck instead of having to remember to pack it each time.
    • Lastly, I keep a case of bottled water in the back for use throughout the year. It gets replaced every 6 months.
    Finally, I have my emergency bag, which is all contained in a Condor 3-day assault pack.
    In the main compartment I have the following:
    • a full change of clothes. Underwear, socks, T-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, and a pair of surplus military pants.
    • A Becker BK9, for wood prep as needed
    • an SOL escape bivvy, for emergency warmth and shelter (in conjunction with the previously-mentioned wool blanket). I dont know what the thing is supposedly rated to, but it didn't do enough for me camping one cold November night when it dipped down into the teens. And I was wearing full clothing, inside the bivvy, inside a sleeping bag, under a fleece blanket. Not enough, still froze.
    • An aluminum form-holder with several 8-1/2x11 notepads.
    • 2x 5.5'x7.5' blue tarps from Harbor Freight, for improvised shelters as needed
    • 8x 9" plastic tent stakes, for improvised shelters as needed
    The small front compartment contains a Maxipedition Micro pouch that serves as my Writing Kit. A couple of pens, pencils, sharpie, index cards... that kind of stuff.
    One side compartment contains a Stanley Adventure cook set nested inside a walmart stainless cup, along with a simple stainless utensil set.
    The other side compartment has a tri-fold E-tool (in pouch) and my fire kit, in a Maxpedition Fatty pouch. (Fire kit has multiple tinders and ignition sources along with a folding knife.)
    The bottom compartment has a Becker BK16, a 10" Corona folding saw (virus free), Smiths DCS4 sharpener, 8x Harbor Freight Tarp Clips (shelter), a Spool Tool loaded up with 550 cord and a mini-BIC (shelter and other uses), a pair of leather work gloves, and some of those HotHands handwarmers.
    On the outside of my bag is the large Condor Rip-Away EMT pouch that serves as my first-aid and trauma kit. Without going into details, it has been used, and I was very glad to have it nearby.

Even with all this in the back I still retain a fair amount of cargo space.

My gear is predicated on the environment I normally find myself in. I live in a large city but commute out to rural areas quite often, so I choose to keep my truck supplied with things I may need in a rural setting. Also, there are a number of things not in the emergency bag, or elsewhere in the truck, because they're in my EDC bag. I always have a headlamp in my bag, a water bottle, backup fixed and folding blades, a few clif bars, boo-boo kit, etc... So I dont keep things like that in the truck. None of my bags are intended to be stand-alone.

So that's my setup. No pictures, sorry: I shut down my photobucket after they went stupid and never bothered to set up somewhere else.

Ivarr and ran23 like this.
  18. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Got any pics of this minivan? Always interested in seeing how folk convert them into a camper of sorts.

19. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Reviving this thread with some additional thoughts. A while back a friend commented on my EDC and how it seemed like I was always ready for anything. She found it comforting to know that if things went sideways I'd probably have things under control. Long story short, I told her I'd put together a list of basic EDC things she could keep in her car to take care of the most common of unexpected situations: I thought I'd share here as well. Perhaps this can serve as a base for people to build their own vehicle EDC.
    • First aid kit. Every vehicle should have one in some fashion or another, whether a basic boo-boo kit or full-on trauma kit, you need to have basic medical on-hand and readily available. My truck kit has taken care of several camping injuries, from scrapes and cuts to gashes that needed gauze wrap until urgent care could stitch it up. I think this one is a decent start, and while the tweezers and shears look like trash and there's not enough tape, it's a good place to start and not too expensive. Alternatively, one could go for something more advanced like a trauma kit. I generally suggest this over a boo-boo kit, as trauma kits contain things to help slow or stop heavy arterial bleeding while you wait for an ambulance. This one also has trash tweezers and not enough tape, but it comes with a minimal tourniquet. I'd suggest getting a better TQ if going for a trauma kit, and you can always add more to your kit to cover whatever situations you want.
    • Tarp. I suggest having a tarp in the vehicle for a variety of reasons. It can be a ground cover so you can change a tire without getting (too) dirty, you can use it to cover the inside of the car to transport something messy, or just to keep your car's contents out of sight. The regular Harbor Freight Blue Tarp is more than sufficient for most, and they're cheap.
    • Gloves. Mechanix brand gloves, or the similar (and cheaper) Hardy brand from Harbor Freight will be fine as well. You want something to cover your hands while still retaining a fair bit of dexterity. Thick work gloves, pigskin gloves, welding gloves... these aren't as appropriate for this role, but they're better than nothing.
    • Reflective Safety Vest. If you have to be outside of your vehicle at night on the side of the road for any reason, you really should have one of these. Much less likely to be run over if you're glowing like the sun.
    • Signaling. This is another thing you need so you'll be seen at night. It's also an attention-getter if you have an accident. Whether road flares, chem-lights, or a blinking emergency beacon, have something to get attention with.
    • Flashlight. Yet another night-oriented tool, the simple fact is we cant see very well at night. You need something to illuminate with. I prefer headlamps over handheld flashlights so as to keep my hands free for work, and the light is always pointed at what Im looking at, instead of having to try to station a flashlight such that it's illuminating what I need to see. AAA lights from WalMart will work, but the batteries need to be changed regularly to prevent them from leaking and destroying the light. Buying quality batteries (NiMH or Lithium Ion) will lessen the chance of leaks and damage, but they're more expensive. This is a cheap option. I have one and it's okay, but not great. This light is leaps and bounds better, brighter, tougher, and has a rechargeable battery. To be fair, the battery (a 14500) is sold separately, so if you want to get the maximum brightness and runtime out of it you'll have to buy it and a charger for it. However, it can also use normal AA batteries in a pinch, though with less brightness and shorter run-time. I still think it's a far better choice. A $30 (+ battery and charger cost) might be a bit high for some people, especially for a tool that will seldom see use, but I think the extra cost is justifiable in this case.
    • Tire pressure gauge. I prefer the dial type gauges like this one, but the stick kind would work just as well. Basic car car includes checking tire pressure once in a while.
    • Tape. You should have a roll of electrical tape and a roll of good quality duct tape. They have their uses and tasks they're uniquely suited to over the other, so have both. Electrical tape is, more or less, all the same. I've never noticed a difference, at least. Duct tape though, there is good tape and there's bad tape, and unfortunately more bad than good. The cheap stuff is awful; doesnt even stick to itself let alone what you're actually trying to tape down. Get duct tape from a good brand, like Gorilla or T-Rex. Or, best of all, get some military-spec 100MPH tape.
    • Knife. At a minimum have a seatbelt cutter on-hand in case of accidents. A more generic and versatile blade would be a standard retractable (or folding) utility knife. They're dirt-cheap so it's hard to justify not having one. Keep a pack of replacement blades too.
    • Tool kit. So many basic car tasks (or even home tasks) can be taken care of with this kit. It's relatively cheap and has pretty much every tool you'd need for most basic projects. A friend asked me to change a bulb in her car and when I got there she had no tools to change it with. Fortunately, I did. She ended up buying this kit later and has used it often since. [I jokingly call this my 'standard wedding gift' because it's just so useful and so few married couples have any tools.]
    • quality jumper cables. It's only a matter of time before you have a dead battery. Not if, but when. So, have a good set of jumper cables available. Longer and thicker wire is better. These seem decent enough. One of those battery jumper-packs can be an alternative (or supplement), but you often only get a couple of tries before that jumper pack is dead. Have a good set of cables.
    • ratchet straps. best to have two to four 1" to 1-1/2" straps; you never know what you might need to secure.
    • tow strap/rope w/ hooks or shackles. I recommend this over a chain: it's typically lighter and has equal if not better load rating.
    • 1.5-2 gallon gas can. 2 gallon would be better, as you can get more fuel into your tank. Your tank needs a minimum amount of fuel in it (varies by vehicle) before the sender can pick any up and pump it to the engine. If you run the car empty, odds are there is still some fuel in the tank but probably emptied the fuel lines from the tank to the engine. So, not only do you have to get enough fuel in the tank to get above the minimum for the sending unit, but you also need to account for the empty fuel lines. Thus, more is better.
    • a 2-ton trolly jack. only get this once you have everything else covered. This is really a luxury item that just makes changing tires less of a pain in the rear. You can get by fine with the jack the car came with: this one's just better. I've also managed to bend the scissor-jacks that a lot of cars come with: better to have a bottle jack over a scissor jack, and better a trolley jack over any of them.
    • Wheel chocks. if your vehicle didnt include chocks with your jack, get a pair. You dont want to jack your car up to change a tire only for it to roll off the jack.
    Other things
    phone charger. you should have one that you keep with you in your EDC bag/purse, but you should also always leave one in the car. Just to be safe.
    pen and notepad in the console
    ice scraper
    a heavy, warm blanket. this is good for both keeping warm in winter if you get stuck in the car, and for a simple ground cover if you're at the park or need to cover the back seat for muddy dogs.
    a case of bottled water
    a simple change of clothes (jeans, plain t-shirt, socks)
    during Winter, keep some heavy clothes in the car. Ideally, keep something that you could comfortably wear to walk out in the cold like overalls, a heavy coat and a pair of rubber boots.
    3-5 plastic shopping bags (walmart bags) with no holes in them. Use these to store wet/muddy clothes, etc. They take up no room and it's really frustrating when you need one and dont have it, because they're so easy to have.

There are a whole host of other things one could keep in their vehicle as part of "vehicle edc". But like all EDC, you should tailor it to your specific needs and environment. This is meant to be a basic starter list: build from here. :)

ran23, Nick4305 and twin63 like this.
  20. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

That’s a good, well thought out list.