1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle EDC: Jumper Cables and Tools Bag

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Anak, May 17, 2012.

1. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

quuadrille, I have a similar jumper cable set-up in my truck, but I find 30' to be overkill. Also, it has more of a voltage drop. Mine are home-made 16' I ga. And my truck has 2 Excide batteries (powering my winch) so I can jump almost anything. Also, I installed a HD solenoid and dash switch so that the socket on the truck is only hot when I turn it on. BTW, it looks as though your plug kit is missing lube for inserting the plugs.

2. mud390

mud390 Loaded Pockets

I use a military surplus small mechanic's bag. I keep my jumper cables, 6 ratcheting tie down straps, work gloves, and a set of rolled up coveralls in the bag. It's a really tight fit, but its all in there. The bag is small enough to slide under the seat and stay out of the way.

3. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

What type of lube is required?

4. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

That type of kit normally has a tub of lube in the round cavity in the tray which facilitates plug insertion and helps seal the plug.

[​IMG]

5. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

My Toyota forum turned me on to a plug kit. Thinking back, lube would have made a difference.

6. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've always used a tube of rubber cement but you can imagine how messy it can be when the tire pressure meets the glue. Still, worked fine for me everytime. Though, I will get one of those kits. The quality of the tools is so much better. I like the stop that the insert tool has to keep you from pulling your plug in too far.

7. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

Ok this is the kit I have, I have never had to use it so I did not know about the lube

8. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Glad you have it. It makes life easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had no patches, so we put 7 plugs into this sidewall tear. It's still holding! Although that one became the spare.

Last edited by tower, May 30, 2012
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wow! In the side wall! Nice job pullin THAT one off!

10. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I sure wish I could take full credit for that clever bit of fenagelling, but the guy with whom I was wheeling (with the pony tail) is Bill Burke, probably the most renown Off-Road instructor in the world and author of "Getting Unstuck". He was the one who conceived the idea.
    http://www.bb4wa.com/

11. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Looks like it's time to buy a new tire, tower don't want to have to depend on a so-so tire in the future. Especially as mobile as you are, Camo is tooooo small to haul you around.:rolleyes:

12. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Quite true. I want to get 5 oversized B F Goodrich TA KM2 tires, but my dammed TA KOs just won't wear out!

FWIW, at 21 lbs, Camo is about the studliest little dog I've seen. Very strong for his size and leaps like a frog. He even tries pushing my 235 lb fat ash over so he can have more of the bed. LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I thought somebody put a link up for the plug kit ya got there but I can't find it. I started to buy from kenstires on Ebay with free shipping but then $13 in shipping charges appeared.

14. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

16. Mr_Sheesh

Mr_Sheesh Loaded Pockets

For many years I've used "screw lock binder rings" for my combo wrenches, sadly I don't know where to get them at a sane price, right now - they're a large (say 6") O-shaped diameter metal ring, with a pivoting hinge on one end, the other end has a screw lock on it, so you can sort your wrenches and have 2 or 3 of the most often needed ones (like 1/2" and 9/16" LOL), if anyone knows of a reasonably priced source, please let me know :) Mini Carabiners can work for this, if their material is small enough to fit the wrench, or a piece of rope is a possibility. Organization makes a mess of tools a lot easier to use.

I have to agree on having a fire extinguisher, also the electrical and structural wire (stove wire works, even metal coat hanger wire - handles things like an exhaust system breaking lose and dragging on the ground) - You want GLOVES, definitely, Water for the engine is a good idea (or better yet coolant mix), and a sneaky trick I've found is a few varied sizes of safety pins - for WHEN that pesky cotter pin breaks, shutting your vehicle down. A larger file's a good idea, I've had metal plugs pop out and had to fake a replacement from materials at hand to get the car running properly (on older carburetted cars mostly; Hmm, a few feet of electrical tape and some crimps and a crimper tool, too. Duct & Electrical tape plus some teflon thread tape are obvious :)

A BOB-like car bag isn't a bad idea, I'd take it to the car when I leave home and return it into your home when you leave the vehicle, theft can be a problem here.

17. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Sorry you have to work through the refund. What do you use a 150 lb. gauge for? You got a Ferrari?

18. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I have air bags on the rear springs and the max at 150lbs. I've been told only to pump them up to 111lbs(by someone who didn't want to be responsible for replaceing them). Its reallll hard to guage how many pounds over 100 I have pumped them up to with a 100lb guage, which is what I've been doing:)

19. quadrille

quadrille Loaded Pockets

20. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I wish I could say. I have had America's Tire put a sidewall patch on a tire for me, but I didn't get to see what brand they used. Amazon has a less expensive model:

http://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-Radial-Tire-Patch-Kit/dp/B004FEJL9S

Also, Harbor Freight has a kit with many more patches, but most of them are small patches.

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-piece-radial-tire-patch-kit-97215.html

The big ones are most valuable of off-roaders. I only had one sidewall tear that was not related to off-roading and it was a complete sidewall failure on the freeway (which is why I will NEVER buy a Uniroyal tire***). No matter how many times you cut the small ones, they don't get any bigger.

I can only say that the patch which I had professionally installed held for the six year life of the tire. I have been unable to find consumer reviews for these types of kits. As far as the plugs are concerned, here is one review I found which suggests that it would be best to patch, one mobile.

Works well, but not recommended for permanent repair
    December 28, 2007 by J. Lane
    The kit works well, but as the instructions say, the tire should be inspected by a professional as soon as possible. While I have used tires for many thousands of miles after they were repaired only with the plugs, tire manufacturers and the NHSTA recommend that the tire be repaired from the inside rather than just the outside. The recommended inside repair puts a plug in the hole and a patch over the area surrounding the hole. This is supposed to keep air from entering the rubber, which could lead to a bulge. The inspection by a professional, if done with the tire off the rim, lets him look for damage that is not visible from the outside.

*** The incest in the tire industry makes brand selection almost ludicrous. To wit:

Michelin owns BFG, Uniroyal, Kleber
    Bridgestone owns Firestone, Dayton
    Goodyear owns Dunlop
    Continental owns General, Hoosier