1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vehicle breakdown tools- what do you carry?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by earthman, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

I know that when you say tow to home, you're talking about a repair you might be able to do yourself, but... When Car Talk was on the air, the Magliozzi bros. brought up a good point. People always worry about getting their vehicle back home. Why? Worry about getting yourself (-selves) back home. The vehicle can/should go straight to the shop. [shrug]

2. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    True, but this is not just me being stingy, it is also that I may want to fix said prob. myself just for fun and games

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Blackheart

Tightwad-like typing detected.

:giggle:

Mark_Trail likes this.
  4. Ethos
    • +1 Supporter

Ethos Loaded Pockets

We get it...you're rolling in the dough. :rolleyes:

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

This is my sentiment, but a limo isn't required. A dirty cab will suffice or my shop's shuttle service.

6. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

My limited "tools" are for such an occasion that I may be out of a Verizon coverage area or have to wait hours for a tow. I mean, it's not like I know much more than the location of my motor, lol.

7. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Mechanix gloves to insert/remove the trailer hitch. I have pliers and a screwdriver if I need to replace the breakaway cable for the trailer.

8. Bdon

Bdon Loaded Pockets

I drive a 12 wrangler and use it as my offroad toy when time permits. I typically keep these things packed for when the time arrives I need them.

Bluepoint tool set:
    sockets 5mm-24mm.
    Wrenches 10-19mm
    3/8" breaker bar

Craftsman torque wrench

2' pry bar

Snapon adjustable wrenches. Large and small.

Knipex cobras

Fluke Multimeter

Large zip ties

ST300

Jumper cables

Recovery gear: snatch block, tree saver, tow straps, clevis'

Various length ratchet straps

Hi lift jack

Leather gloves

2 12v air compressors.

Tire plug kit.

Small tarp

Rain coat

Phone charger

Brass hammer

I'm sure I let stuff out, but that's off the top of my head.

earthman likes this.
  9. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I'm actually thinking of something like a 12" bag, trying to cut down the tool kit to that sort of size.

10. Blackheart

It's a good size. I use one for work and carry a whole bunch of stuff. Look for one with good pockets on the inside and out for organization. Mine's an older Craftsman (don't recall how old), the newer ones are crappy.

earthman likes this.
  11. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

Why would you think that of mechanics?
    Although I'm out of the shop and work as a technical trainer these days, I still have an assortment of cars and motorcycles of my own that I work on, plus family and friends vehicles.
    I do have a hybrid company car because it's company policy.
    In terms of carrying tools there isn't much you can do by the side of the road; so just water-pump pliers, duct tape, cable ties, wheel change kit and breakdown club membership card.
    Ironically, I do carry a diagnostic software and vehicle interface on a laptop for my job, but even if I know what's wrong, it's unlikely I'll be able to fix it at the roadside.

Blackheart likes this.
  12. Ethos
    • +1 Supporter

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Idk, Ive done lots and lots of repairs roadside. Now sometimes someone had to bring the parts. I've repaired transmission lines and had someone bring more fluid, replaced coolant lines and replaced coolant- both of which I had in the car, thermostats, serpentine belts, u-joints, alternators, solenoids, electrical, etc. Dad replaced a radiator on the side of the road. Never could have done any of that without tools in my vehicle.

I've saved countless thousands of dollars over my driving years by doing my own work. I haven't ridden a motorcycle but 3 1/2 years but already I've saved well over $1K, maybe closer to two. All of this by understanding how things work and getting grease under my nails. It translates to other things too like appliances, home repairs etc. All of that money goes to other often very important things.

13. Jammer Six

Jammer Six Loaded Pockets

It's unlikely you'd be able to fix things on the roadside.

Don't you get paid enough to make the choice between working and working on your vehicles (especially given what you know) a no-brainer when you're choosing how to spend your time? Do you stitch yourself up, too? Or do you go somewhere where they have the right needles, the right thread, a bright light, sterile cloths, a whole bunch of training in the matter at hand and they're wide awake and ready to treat you, regardless of how much it costs?

Given liability, (brakes) reliability, (everything else) time and, last on the list, money, working on cars went out the window in 1982 or so.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

On a daily basis, I don't carry much. I have CAA (Canadian version of AAA), a phone and a credit card. I do have a full sized spare, good bottle jack, breaker bar and sockets to replace a tire though.

However, I do spend most of my free time exploring remote backcountry in search of more and bigger fish. On trips when I know I'll be out of cell service, or planning an extended journey through the wilderness I carry enough tools to at least jury rig a fix for most things. A full socket set, allen keys, crescent wrenches, multi-bit screw driver, fuses, bulbs, zip ties, baling wire, pliers, hammer yadda yadda. I won't be doing a clutch job, but I could conceivably drop a drive shaft (what'd I'd do then is anyone's guess. But it'd be out! :D )

One thing I find highly useful is a bluetooth OBDII reader that I can link to my phone using the Torque Pro app. If my truck shows a code, I can at least figure out what is probably wrong and either find a work around or start hiking.

I think it helps that I'm a welder by trade and work in a gong show of a shop. Jury rigging, farmer fixing, what have you is common practice. I have pretty good mechanical aptitude and knowledge of tools. I can at least bumble :censored: my way through something.

15. Moco

Moco Loaded Pockets

right now off the top of my head,
    1 small top off tire pump that plugs into cig. lighter socket to refill the spare ( probably would be better to have an inverter and regular AC power pump?)
    2 adjustable wrench for battery terminals
    3. jumper cables
    4. small set of socket wrenches to get battery out of car if needed or replace something like my alternator
    5. extra coolant, extra oil
    6. gloves
    7. lug wrench. ( would be cool to also buy some security lug nut tools)
    8. zip ties/ bailing wire/ duck tape
    9. (dont have these personally but would be great anyway) replacement large ATC fuses. the ones in the engine compartment you have at this very moment so you know the bare minimum of what you need to get your car moving
    thats what i carry in my car

16. Ethos
    • +1 Supporter

Ethos Loaded Pockets

So you don't have a first aid kit or necessary meds? Do you call an ambulance or run to the doctor every time you need any treatment or OTC meds?

You mentioned a "false economy", seems there was a false economy created when people started sourcing out simple things they could do themselves. For instance home repairs, always going out to eat, lawn services, maid services, dry clean everything, hunt/fish guide services, etc. All things with some acquired skill and a few tools can be done yourself and you will save many thousands of dollars that can be put towards other and more important things.

Last edited by Ethos, Jun 22, 2017
    #36 Ethos, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  17. Jammer Six

I was a general contractor. I retired when I was 48. I'm proud to say that yes, I use everything on your list, specifically because money doesn't mean anything-- it's time that matters, and time for those other, more important things. You hit the nail on the head, and then you decided to spend your time, the most precious treasure you have, on the least important things you could possibly choose, just so you could save "many thousands of dollars".

Money is the cheapest treasure, and that's what I burn to keep the car going.

My time I save for important things.

Ethos likes this.
  18. Ethos
    • +1 Supporter

Ethos Loaded Pockets

Hey I understand, my dad owns his own construction company and I grew up in it. There is no such thing as time. The thing is that neither of us have the money to pay to have our cars fixed, not simple stuff, nor have home repairs done. We have the skills so we do it ourselves and save the money which does relieve time that we would have to spend working to pay for other things we wouldn't have money for.

Most of the tools you keep in your car will at least get you home or to the shop, still saves time and money even then.

If I had the money I would still do quite a bit myself, and still keep tools in my car/bike jic. I still pay for stuff that I don't understand or don't have skills or time for, but it's usually the more difficult stuff.

19. Jammer Six

My wife (who actually knows) says I'm getting weird about time/money.

20. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I agree, many people pay someone to do things nowadays,......a neighbour of mine is a dog groomer, a job that didn't exist when I were a kid. Now replacing say a cam belt on a twin cam engine is a different kettle of fish, some people just wouldn't know where to start, don't have the tools or worried about causing damage, that's fair enough.

Society/attitudes certainly seem to have changed since I were a lad, majority of kids now a days don't want a dirty, hands on sort of job period,......trouble is, who are they going to call in the future when their toilet won't flush for example??

The 'computer age' is to blame I think, it's great in one way but it's taking us backwards on the manual skills front,...with driverless vehicles etc, even more human skills/jobs will be redundant.

Last edited by earthman, Jun 22, 2017
    #40 earthman, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017