1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

VEDC for your Spouse's Vehicle?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by RiskMgr, Sep 15, 2014.

1. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

I've been working on putting together an emergency kit for my Wife's car. Up until now, I've intended to duplicate what I carry in my car; but now I'm wondering if that's going farther than necessary. (I know most of us tend to go that direction anyway.) She doesn't know how to use a lot of the gear I might carry. Additionally, she wouldn't be exposed to many of the risks I might be. (Her commute is through 12 miles of suburbia, mine is through 50 miles of farmland.)

Regardless of how far I take it, the basic safety items will be there.

I'd love to hear your input. Is your Spouse's vehicle set up like yours?

Thanks Guys! (And, Gals!) Have a good one!

2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

There's no point loading up her car with stuff she can't or won't use, she will just remove it when she needs the space. I have put a first aid kit, a decent torch and a knife in my partners car. anything else ill put in the car when we are using it, my edc or hiking bag for example :)

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ditto. Wifey wouldn't know what to do with half the stuff I VEDC (I like that anagram ;))

I did make her a kit with stuff to make her visible at night, as well as warm and fed if the need be. And some jumper cables. :)

4. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

We have several cars, and I have the main, essential EDC items in each car, including my wife's. We usually use her car for family trips anyways, so I'll know it has all of the basics in it.

RiskMgr likes this.
  5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Include her in the planning and packing part as well. Otherwise s/he will not remember it's even there, when s/he needs it.

On second thought, nevermind, it won't help a bit. I'm frequently surprised by things my past self has put into my backpack and pockets, and my current self had recollection of.

thePlumbah and RiskMgr like this.
  6. AK47Uprising

AK47Uprising Loaded Pockets

Water and some food; a change of clothes doesn't hurt either; not sure what kind of shoes she wears, but some running shoes would be a good inclusion as well, especially if she has to wear heels or sandals.

RiskMgr and MedusaOblongata like this.
  7. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I agree with others, No point in going overboard on it, If like my wife, She'll want that space to be able to carry extra shopping. lol

RiskMgr likes this.
  8. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

Cheeser - Thanks man. We had to take her car on a trip last month, (normally we take mine.) and I threw my kit in her car. I guess it's more of a security blanket than I ever thought.

Also, can't remember if I ever put a FAK in her car... shame on me.

9. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

Plumbah - Thanks for your input. We moved up here from KY 11 years ago. After a couple long waits in traffic, in January, hoping I didn't run out of gas and freeze to death; I developed a better appreciation for wintertime risks. I now have secondary kits that get thrown in when it starts to get frosty (which is sadly closer than I want it to be.).

thePlumbah likes this.
  10. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

Neon - thanks Man! That's what I'm hoping to achieve. Every once in a while I take her car to work (there's a mechanic I like up in the town I work.) and get a little nervous w/o my contingency plan.

11. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

Valerian - Ha! I just went through a bunch of my stuff and pared away. I had a ton of duplicate/triplicate items between my car kit and my GHB. At least all those extras will mitigate the cost of the kit (subdued kit, that is.) for my Wife.

And, I am looking forward to using it as an educational opportunity for her.

Thanks!

12. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

AK47 - She works at a hospital, so she gets to wear tennis shoes to work, but that's something on my short list to procure. I'd hate to hike a single mile in dress shoes. Thanks for your input!

13. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

earthman - Thanks! Yeah, we used to have those "conversations" about taking "all that junk" out of the trunk to make room for whatever "important" stuff she wanted to bring; but fortunately she's come around.

14. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

I figure maybe there are scouts out there who are helpful if you bring the tools. So-an adjustable wrench, double ended screwdriver, fuses, small shovel, and jumper cables.
    I should put a light in the glove compartment.

RiskMgr likes this.
  15. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

VT - Yep, I've been thinking the same thing. Already have the tool kit portion of the overall kit made, might as well put it in there. She's good with lights too. Even has one in her purse now! And, an e-tool in the winter kit. Adding carpet squares to the winter kit this year. Discovered their handiness last year when she drove into a ditch off a parking lot. (Ditch was filled in with snow, and it appeared to be part of the parking log.) Kitty litter only works on ice...

Thanks!

16. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

Glad she wasn't hurt. I switch the e tool out for a snow shovel as needed but carpet squares are a good idea.

RiskMgr likes this.
  17. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

So, I am going to be another dissenting vote from the majority here.. LOL.. I pack all of my vehicles with the same gear. Simply put, I don't want to have to transfer gear between vehicles for long trips, etc.. My truck is used for around town and utility purposes. When we travel, her vehicle is used. While I agree that she won't use half of what's in that bag, her "section" is well labeled on both bags and she knows how to use what is in that section proficiently, the rest is mine. I have been caught too many times between vehicles wishing I had something that I kept in "my" truck bag. Never again. YMMV.

RiskMgr likes this.
  18. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

We have two we swap between spring and summer / fall and winter. Each has appropriate gear for that time of year. Things that are the same in both kits are a knife, a light, FAK, fire starter, mountain meals, and water. Things that are different are bug spray, sun screen, bandana, etc. for summer and hand warmers, heavy blanket, gloves, etc. For winter.

RiskMgr likes this.
  19. Safety1st

Safety1st Loaded Pockets

Some good advice so far..

If I could perhaps offer some extra... Like has been hinted, your spouse needs to be happy with the edc kit that's carried. So some dry run testing isn't a bad idea. For example, even how to assemble an emergency warning triangle bit can be confusing in the dark and wet, so get her to practice beforehand.
    Same with things like tyre changing etc.

On a personal security note - my line of work brings me I to contact with many females (and males) who feel vulnerable when out in their vehicles.

This is a whole subject in itself so I'll not deviate from the topic much. But I advise always locking the car doors once you're inside.
    Also avoid the temptation to advertise you're a female Driver; so no pink steering wheel covers, or "sexy chick on board" decals.

20. Treya

Treya Loaded Pockets

Also have your keys ready or easily accessible to get into the car not on the bottom of your handbag leaving you standing next to your car searching for them. Pay particular attention to cars parked next to you.

My hubby is not an EDC'er. He recently downsized his car so not a lot of room to store things. I bought a really small toolbag and put some basic tools into it, threw a multi-tool in the glove box. We usually keep a container in the glovebox full of coins, a packet of wipes etc. Hard to keep food in the car here in summer as the inside of the car can easily be 40┬░celcius + (I think approx 105┬░F +). The tool bag is a work in progress and though it's only small its better than nothing. Only trouble is some of the tools are more suited to my handsize than his, it gives me some peace of mind regardless.

Couple other things I am adding are a hand crank (dymo)/solar radio and a LED light/torch with spare batteries. Had a small street directory which needs replacing. Also a seatbelt cutter and window breaker for the front console. [​IMG] iPhone for scale

kd7dvd and Montani like this.