1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vanquest V-Slinger, foliage

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by SAKplumber, Oct 19, 2013.

1. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

So I finally got mine:D And I like it.:)

Got the V-Slinger in foliage after reading this post by the Vanquest Team...

I bought the left shoulder one after reading the manufacturer's recommendation, here...Which shoulder should I carry my slingpack on?

So here it is...

[​IMG]

And here it is riding shotgun in the 4runner:) I love a bag that stands on its own.

[​IMG]

Heres a shot of the back pocket. I mainly have just spent a few days sticking receipts and papers in there cause its easy to get to. I tried to fit my iPad2 and ZaggFolio bluetooth keyboard case there, but only for a quick second. It didn't seem to fit and I was in a hurry. Maybe it'll fit if I take my time and angle it right. I'll see later...Though I don't really like the idea of having the hard case against my back. The pack feels pretty good as it is.

[​IMG]

Here's the larger of the 2 front pockets. At the moment changing bags has made carrying my keys uncomfortable again, so I haven't settled on how/where I'll carry them. I have them on a couple of Tom Bihn Accessory Straps. The larger chain, the one I change out keys on McGizmo clips depending on the vehicle I'm in, stays in the pocket connected to the keychain clip sewn into the bag. So far thats ok because when I need to drive i can swing the bag around to my front and easily open that pocket, slip my finger in under the strap, and pull out the whole thing. However, if I'm already driving, I already have the EDCF PickPocket in my pocket with the appropriate keys on it, so I really don't have to go through that.

I do have the house key on a strap attached to the upper ziper loop. I am used to having this key on my bag, regardless of vehicle, and unlock my door without removing it from the bag. So I've just been tucking the longer strap into that pocket because it makes getting it out even easier. We'll se how long this lasts :p
    Technically, the front admin pocket has several slip pockets that can be accessed from the "top" of the bag, when worn frontside, but I'll count this as one since they don't all seal on their own.
    [​IMG]

The very front pocket is just handy for stuff I might need easy.

[​IMG]

Top front pocket and assorted items. I like the built in stretchy strap admin area.
    Theres also a pocket in front and back of it:)

[​IMG]

It isn't easy to take pics of myself wearing it so this is as good as your gonna get:p

When I swing the bag around front, this is how I can access the main compartment. I can open the bottom portion only and access my UniKit organizer. Also, theres a velcro sealed slip pocket on the interior wall away from the body(under the flap).

I wondered before why the main zipper was "s" shaped (sorta) instead of straight. Now that I have it in hand I see that the molle attachment won't allow the pocket to open against your body if you have something attached to it. Therefore you can attach to the molle and then fold the pocket away from you when opening.
    Also, I'd like to mention the velcro sealed pocket on the interior of that flap. I saw it in pictures but never heard it mentioned. That makes one more pocket that can be accessed from the "top" of the bag when its worn on the front of the body. (thats 6 so far :))

[​IMG]

Sorry its so blurry, but you've probably seen it before...My FAK in a Tom Bihn Clear 3D Organizer Cube, with a 6" Strap looped back on the o-ring to make a pull on it. I can access it by only opening the top half of the Main Compartment's zipper.

[​IMG]

There is also a velcro sealed slip pocket on the interior wall (away from the body). (Thats 8 compartments & pockets that can be accessed from the "top" of the bag when worn, or swung around the front of the wearer. I have my Folca pill case
    in that pocket. You can see I still have all three of the main compartment's velcro dividers against each other. Haven't need them yet, with only two things in there, but they are they for when I'm out and need to carry more with greater organization.

[​IMG]

Aside: I used to have a Hazard4 PlanB sling, that only came with one divider:eek: You had to buy the extras in twos:nah_disagree:

Woops! #9...the back of the main compartment has been where the iPad rides:)

[​IMG]

Here I include a pic of me wearing it over the right shoulder, without putting it over my head. You can see the way the bottom of the main body of the bag swings out away from me, to the right. It can be slung there for a moment but walking makes it slip off. I like to throw it over my left shoulder like that when I'm making a short trip to the truck. I find that the direction of the swing makes it center iteself more along the center of my back, and not away from me, as seen here.

[​IMG]

The last couple are quirky ways I find to wear it that are working for me:rolleyes:
    One is the extra strap...I'm not a big guy (I'd thank you all for noticing:rolleyes:), and to wear it comfortably without a coat, means that the strap is cinched al the way down, leaving a long bit of exxess. It comes with an elastic strap sewn around it for harnessing it, but it took a bit of experimenting to get it right. After I folded it over a couple of times and tucked it under, I took the removable stabilization strap's clip off(the part with the two snaps) and placed it over the excess strap. Barely fit over it but it did fit. :D

[​IMG]

The other is the long bit of stabilization strap that I want to keep handy, but didn't want to remove. I tucked it into the hydration bladder's hose port:) Stays out of my way until I need it. Ironically, I doubt I will ever need to use a hydration bladder unless I'm hiking, in which I'll need that stabilization anyway, so it works for me too.

Hope you voyuers have enjoyed this tour of my stuff :p :rofl:

I plan to do Gryffin's Vanquest Javelin: Shock Cord Hack, too.

Oh, I almost forgot to add...The lanyard pulls are GREAT! I love that when you grab them you only need to find them with your fingertips and your there. You don't have to work to get ahold of them like regular lanyard pulls. And the little snap straps that they can be sleeved onto to protect them from being opened without your knowledge are an awesome idea. One would have to tug the bag pretty noticeably to unsnap them while its on your back, and that would give them away. I don't need them now, but love that I can do that when needed.

EDITED TO ADD...I forgot I was counting closed compartments/pockets = 9 that can be reached comfortably from the top when the bag is worn on the front.

Last edited by SAKplumber, Oct 19, 2013
  2. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

As a former Sitka owner (and hater), this actually looks pretty great in comparison. I wish it was easily available in the Uk; the H4 Switchback is toooooooo expensive.

3. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

I've had 2 H4 bags...the Kato first, then the PlanB. While they were both sturdy, I didn't like either after I used them a little. I posted a bunch of pics and stuff and then as I used them I changed my mind. I decided to use a thing for a bit before posting a review of it:)

I do like this bag. The H4 Plan B was as wide as it was tall off off the back..meaning it was a rectangle and it wasn't so long it would have been a square. It didn't carry well. It tried to fold down over itself. When you wore it the top would pull away from your back. I didn't like it...I felt like I was wearing a tube. It was awkward. In fact...I didn't realize it so much until I got this one and it refreshed my memory. :)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  4. Supermanda

Supermanda EDC Junkie

Awesome review! Looks like a really great bag!!! Thanks SAKp!!! :D

SAKplumber likes this.
  5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Your welcome!

6. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Dayum! Sweet review SAK! I'd almost get this if I hadn't sworn off sling packs...:D It looks like it's pretty awesome though. May have to get one anyway!!!

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

How do you like the Foliage color????
    Thanks

8. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I personally really like it. It totally blends in in any environment.:p

[​IMG]

All kidding aside, the color is perfect for those of us who don't want to look too tactical, but don't like black.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yup. OD is my fav bag color. I think this is very nice.

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thats what I was gonna say...not too tactical:)

11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Not to clutter up SAKp's thread, but in case Motorman or anybody else wants more pictures of a foliage Javelin out and about, here's some more. They're in other threads, so if they seem familiar, it's because y'all have seen them before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The bag over an ACU blouse and a foliage Condor soft shell
    [​IMG]

Foliage MOBIUS
    [​IMG]

Foliage Envoy with a khaki/floliage Jumbo
    [​IMG]

Vesp, SAKplumber and Motorman like this.
  12. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Thanks for posting these helpful pics.

T.H.Cone and SAKplumber like this.
  13. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

More will arrive...

T.H.Cone and SAKplumber like this.
  14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Don't worry about that:)

T.H.Cone likes this.
  15. bigant2984

bigant2984 Loaded Pockets

Could this bag fit a pair of sneakers, lunch tupper and extra clothes an some basic gear ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk