1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vanquest Javelin V-Slinger

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Jeckel51, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Vanquest Team
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Vanquest Team Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone, sorry for the long absence.

Javelin VSlinger was designed with a specific total usable volume to fit between Sitka and Kodiak.

Measurement of overall "outer" size is not meaningful, and it is not the same as "useable total volume". You can think of overall outer size as the "package size" in a way, but not that entire size is usable for carrying.

Javelin's total usable volume is roughly 15%-20% larger than Sitka, but 10% smaller than Kodiak. Let's do some math here by adding up each slingpack's pockets (cubic inch):

Javelin VSlinger
    Main: 9.5"x16"x5"=760 cui
    Front Top: 8"x4"x2"=64 cui
    Front Bottom: 8"x10"x2"=160 cui
    TOTAL (JAVELIN) = 984 cui = 16.1 L

Sitka Gearslinger
    Main: 8.5"x16"x4"=544 cui
    Front Top: 8"x5"x2"=80 cui
    Front Bottom: 8"x9"x2"=144 cui
    Side Nalgene Pouch: 61 cui (1L Nalgene)
    TOTAL (SITKA) = 829 cui = 13.6 L

Kodiak Gearslinger
    Main: 10"x17"x4"=680 cui
    Front Top: 9.25"x5.25"x2.25"=109 cui
    Front Bottom: 10"x11"x2"=220 cui
    Side Nalgene Pouch: 61 cui (1L Nalgene)
    TOTAL KODIAK) = 1070 cui = 17.5 L

Here are some more differences between Javelin Vslinger and Sitka Gearslinger:
    (1) Javelin doesn't have a side 1L Nalgene pouch to throw off your balance during long hike. However, Javelin, has TWO compartments for water bladders (total 5-6L).
    (2) Javelin is foam-padded, with a rigid back panel. It is designed not to sag, because a saggy bag cannot evenly support the weight you carry on your shoulder.
    (3) Javelin has a wider, more ergonomic padded shoulder strap for more comfortable single-shoulder carrying experience.

For more differences, check out other independent reviewers' online reviews, or if you make your own, please share with us. Here is one Youtube review made by Lee from TGO Wyoming: Long-time Sitka user, and recently bought a Javelin VSlinger:

Thank you.
    Vanquest Team

Last edited by Vanquest Team, Sep 15, 2013
    downbad, smoakie976 and SAKplumber like this.
  2. Vanquest Team
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

Vanquest Team Loaded Pockets

We have not been committed to any particular designs for our backpack series yet; we want to get each design right, and we thank everyone for your patience and support.

Javelin's total usable volume is roughly 15%-20% larger than Sitka, but 10% smaller than Kodiak.
    For more details, please see post #101.

You were very close. The Javelin VSlinger is padded, and 1" taller / 1" thicker than the Sitka for carrying balkier high-value equipment such as a full-size DSLR.

Vanquest's foliage green is a mid-tone grayish green. It is not a dark green although I have not seen Tactical Tailor's ranger green color in person.

Hey John, I remember your missing grab-handle case. We apologize for the inconveniences and sending you a replacement right away is the least we can do. No matter if you'd purchased the bag from an authorized Vanquest dealer, or from us directly, we will do our best to take care of any customer service cases. Regarding the 2" buckle's extra locking security feature, you can defeat the 3rd lock by slightly bending down that latch carefully without breaking it. We don't recommend doing so because most users can eventually learn to open that 2" SRB with one hand. I will see if we can make a video to show our users how to unlock the Duraflex Double-Lock Rock Lockster SRB with one hand. I hope the information we provided here is helpful to you. Enjoy your Javelin!

VANQUEST Team

SAKplumber, Gryffin and MTFire like this.
  3. groovster

groovster Loaded Pockets

Nice, thanks for the response.

Sent from my Motorola Droid Ultra using Tapatalk 4.

4. neginfluence04

neginfluence04 Loaded Pockets

Do you guys have plans to add a hidden pistol compartment or a under strap like the MOAB to hold rain gear or jacket?

5. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

It's a tad wider than the Sitka, which is why I bought one: my 13.3" MacBook Air and file folders wouldn't fit in the Sitka, but fits (snugly) in the
    Javelin. The Kodiak, on paper, isn't much bigger, but I own one, and the Javelin in practice seem much more compact.

Interestingly, the weight of the Javelin is much closer to the Kodiak than the Sitka. I assume this is from the genuine 1000D Cordura, extra contrasting lining, extra organization inside, and the strap that's wider and better padded than the Sitka. But it carries more comfortably than the Kodiak with the same load, so I feel it's worth those extra ounces.

Vanquest Team likes this.
  6. Amator

Amator Loaded Pockets

Good to know. I've never used a Kodiak and at first wished for a slightly larger version of the Javelin, but I know that EDCers abhor a vacuum so I'd just overload the extra space. The Javelin carries very comfortably and holds my 13.3" MBA (the main reason I replaced my Hazard4 Kato).

7. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

In six pages of threads I don't think this question has been asked, so, can any Vanquest Javelin owner or Team member tell me if the pack can hold a regular sized (reading type 11"X 8.5") magazine that can easily be accessed? I know it's old fashioned, but I like to read my favorite Katsujinken magazine on the airplane.
    Thanks a bunch for your help.

SAKplumber likes this.
  8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Yes, it will.

http://www.jsburlys.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=Vanquest

Last edited by JonSidneyB, Sep 22, 2013
    Motorman and SAKplumber like this.
  9. BrianEDC

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

My experience is "yes". I carry work papers (letter sized), magazines, and hardback books (slightly larger than letter sized) in the main compartment. They fit fine, if occasionally snugly. I'd be a little cautious putting slick, flimsy magazines in there on their own - the interior can be a little rough on some loose papers and such.

I give you proof:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The new Victoriana 3rd edition hardcover is letter sized (bit bigger) and 320 pp.

10. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
    SAKplumber likes this.
  11. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

BrianEDC,
    Thanks so much for your comments and pics. Very helpful. I also am reluctant to place a nice magazine in the main compartment due to possible damage. So, maybe it will fit in the hydration bladder compartment (of course without the bladder)????
    Thanks again.

12. BrianEDC

BrianEDC Loaded Pockets

No, books don't fit easily into the bladder spot - the zipper doesn't run long enough to allow a book to slide in (not one like Victoriana anyway).

I think you're fine with carrying in the main compartment - put the mags in a folder perhaps. I don't think the wear and tear is much different than throwing any magazine into a general backpack (all things considered).

13. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Are these packs available in the UK?

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I need to find a shipping method and make modifications to the store that don't break the bank.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  15. Amator

Amator Loaded Pockets

A magazine won't fit in the bladder pouch on the foam padded back of the pouch, but it should fit okay in the laptop/secondary bladder pouch inside the main compartment.

16. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Maybe I missed it, but did the right handers that actually purchased the bag get the left shoulder version? And if the Vanquest team is still around, is the right hand/left shoulder the way the bag was designed?

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Most right handers go left strap and most left handed people go right but there are exceptions.

Getting some information.

18. T.H.Cone

19. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Info from Vanquest.

JAVELIN™ VSlinger™ slingpack redefines durability and functionality. With its 1000-D mil-grade Cordura® fabric and lockable #10 YKK® zippers, this bag can handle any rough conditions.
    JAVELIN™ VSlinger™’s asymmetrical design stores your gear safely no matter if the pack is sitting upright or sideways. When you swing the pack to your front, its asymmetrical design gives you easy and secure access to the compartments.
    Padded main space and dividers provide extra protections to your EDC (everyday carry) items, tablets, photography gear, or range gear. High-visibility 210-D lightweight ripstop nylon interior helps you find accessories in low-light condition. The back compartment is both CCW-ready (concealed carry) and hydration-ready for a water bladder.
    The pack’s 3”-wide ergonomic shoulder strap with padded breathable mesh delivers great support and comfort. There is a hidden pocket and a 2” Duraflex® Double-Lock buckle for added security at the end of the shoulder strap. You can open the double-lock buckle with just one hand, or have the double-lock feature disabled by adjusting the latch.
    Surrounded with PALS/MOLLE webbings, users can easily expand the pack by adding on more modular accessories. Plenty of hook-and-loop attachment points are designed for CCW and other accessory carrying.
    With more than 20 well-designed pockets and slots for your personal items, EDCs, and CCWs, JAVELIN™ VSlinger™ is THE slingpack for those who want to be prepared 24/7!

FAQ: RIGHT-Shoulder or LEFT-Shoulder, which one should I pick?
    Answer: It depends. If you are right-handed, you may find the LEFT-Shoulder version easier to put on or take off with your right hand, and vice sersa. Although LEFT-Shoulder version is more popular among general users, many others may find the RIGHT-Shoulder version more useful for certain purposes. For example, a photographer would usually prefer the RIGHT-Shoulder version because it gives him/her better access to cameras using right hand, while allowing left hand to change lens or push the slingpack back to the back.

20. T.H.Cone

Excellent. Left shoulder/Foliage for me. The black cat will be sooo jealous!

SAKplumber likes this.