1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vanishing bottle openers

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by tinyblob, Nov 26, 2009.

1. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

As a long serving gadget geek and moderator of this forum i've amassed an awful lot of tools, gear and gadgets. As we all know, many of the objects we purchase and enjoy have bottle opener features - multi-tools, keychain tools, even items that can be used as bottle openers - like some carabiners.

So why is it, i ask you, that whenever i decide to buy a couple of bottles of beer there's never a bottle opener? I'm posting this in part to be whimsical, but also out of genuine concern. Where do my tools go?

The amusing easy answer would be that inebriation and losing things go well together, but i'm not a big drinker. I occasionally like to drink a bottle of beer while eating, or when winding down. But every time i end up having to use the (horrific) little bottle opener on my leatherman squirt.

So i'm wondering, what's your most used bottle opening tool, and where do you keep it?

PS: I know that in America you get some screwtop beer bottles. We don't, so don't rub it in ;D

2. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Mostly I use the carabiner on the end of my Skeletool but if that's not around I have a SAK Waiter http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Victorinox/Medium-Knives/Victorinox-Waiter/p-92-199-325-1828/ in my EDC bag and in my cycle bag, I put pocket clips on both of them so they clip into the bags and are easy to find.
    Failing that, there is always a Bic somewhere in one of my bags.
    I have seen a couple of people use their teeth to open bottles, that sends cold shivers down my spine :green:

3. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

I always have a bic lighter on me, so it's never an issue.

4. NosHusky

NosHusky Loaded Pockets

im never without a bottle opener its the one thing i carry around even at home, i love it. I would not use a bic lighter I tried to open a beer in a car before (i wasnt driving but i was drinking.) and i cracked it open but the cap went flying and so did some of the head so the car smelled for weeks.

5. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

carry a SAK

6. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

Yeah, what he said.

Also, over the years I've come to the conclusion that the vanishing-bottle-openers enigma is somehow related to the missing-pen phenomenon.

7. tinyblob

tinyblob Loaded Pockets

I did that for years. Once actually took a good chunk of glass off the top of a bottle of Budweiser at a party, which got me a bit of a reputation for doing it. Then one day a friend commented "you've got some seriously strong gnashers" while i opened his beer - and of course, my tooth broke. And i tell you what, the shivers you get are nothing compared to the shivers i got when that metal bottle cap hit the nerve ;D

8. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I keep a bottle opener in nearly every room in my house. I also have the wall mounted kind in my garage and in my den. I'm never further that 10 feet from a bottle opener at any given time when I'm in my home. I even have one in my bathroom. I love drinking a cold beer while taking a hot shower.

9. RFA3

RFA3 Loaded Pockets

when my grandfather died in IRELAND a few years ago i was given his trusty bottle opener . many a GUINNESS were popped with this that we shared together and i treasure it.someday i will pass it down to my children.
    [​IMG][img width=640 height=428]http://i45.tinypic.com/33kbsit.jpg[/img]
    [​IMG][img width=640 height=428]http://i45.tinypic.com/wmo3yq.jpg[/img]

10. ohGr

ohGr Loaded Pockets

I chipped my tooth doing the same. now i use my LM juice

11. ohGr

ohGr Loaded Pockets

Yeah, but all the GOOD beers aren't in screwtop :trampoline: and even when they are, i still lift em open! unless they're corked like Duvel

12. jma78

jma78 Loaded Pockets

I always open bottles with my lighter.. It´s definitely an EDC, as i´m a heavy smoker :shrug:

13. Yek4

Yek4 Loaded Pockets

Thats an interesting design RFA3, ever see a modern one online like that?

14. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Got a few freebie/giveaway key chain openers years ago that also have a gizmo for pull tab lifting (ever try lifting a tab only to find out you had a split/busted fingernail? Yeow!). There's always one with my keys or attached to the EDC bag. They don't get used too often now because of some of the meds I'm on though. Bummer.

15. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

It has often seemed to me that a bottle opener seems to be the most common keychain edc item among the less fanatic EDC population. I have a habit at ogling other people's keys whenever I have the chance, and it seems to be very common, for some reason. Well, for men anyhow.

Personally, I don't drink beer so I need a bottle opener even less often than a can opener. And cans have pull tabs, so I need one of those once every two blue moons. But still, I agree, bottle openers probably elope with pens.

16. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

My father has always carried a bottle opener on his keychain that his father game him. It's a nice old one that was an advertisement for some sort of beverage company. It's actually probably what has drawn me the most to Atwoods, because they're similar in a way.

So I have an Atwood on each of my keychains. I'll also use my Skeletool at times, SAK, etc. I'd think that a bottle opener is about the easiest thing there is to EDC, really. So many options.

17. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Gerber artifact for me