1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Valtcan Titanium pen ?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Millman55, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

2. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Don't know this one. I would rather spend a little more and get one from Urban survival gear or Big ideas design.
    Seems like the USG TiScribe has jumped up in price, could be had for around 70+ a while back. Some of the Big i Design pens are in you price range

3. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

I love the big ideas one !! It seems like it can take any refill ! Love it when one doesn't want to mess with online orders and just get what's in the store.

Thanks for that recommendation !

aicolainen likes this.
  4. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Not a fan of the Big I aesthetics. My EDC is a Machine Era Compact stainless & it's perfect for my front pocket jeans carry. At home or when I can carry a longer pen, I prefer the Tactile Turn Slider (with Schmidt Capless Rollerball refill). The titanium version is my "Goldilocks" pen in terms of weight, balance, grip, and workmanship/elegance.

5. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

If you are open to exploring other metals, Karas Kustoms has the fantastic aluminum EDK in tumbled finish. With their regular 15% coupon (for email signups), it is in your ballpark price range. Shipping is free. It satisfies your other criteria of being "tight, durable and takes parker/fisher refills". :)

6. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

Thank you so much for the links ! You saved me a bunch of cash, you're the best !

Thanks for the 15% heads up choombak ! I am browsing their site now

7. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

Looks like a cheaper version of the Fellhoelter ..other than one review saying it scratches I guess its good if you think you would like the Fellhoelter. I like a shorter pen and and don't think I would like the large bolt. I prefer the Tactile Turn Slider...short and bolt is small..
    they are more expensive but it you catch a sale. Ive been using my Tactile Turn Ti for 2 to 3 years and no scratches.

8. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Any metal that's commonly used in pen making is going to be subject to scratching. The only way to stop it is to put the pen in your gunsafe on a nice microfiber cloth and carefully close and lock the door and slowly back away....;)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

(Tangent/slightly OT to the thread...) 'Tis true 'bout commonly-used materials...

So that's why I hope someone wants to tackle a Tungsten-bodied writing instrument with a tungsten carbide surface which is mirror-polished. All they gotta do is make the finish like the TrewTungsten permanently-polished® surface, and then maybe only micro-scratches will develop...*

For on-topic-ness, I tend to second @Tesla's recommendations... And it is higher than your price point, yet Kelvin's TiScribe-Bolt V2.0 is a quality writing instrument.

:cool:

*This idea's been brewin' for a while. Got the idea after I got Mike Scherer's multi-endcap BOMAPen D6 (#3 - got that one from his Inkling Pen Company - click for tons o' detail he put together - over 15+ years ago, since it was a fave number; told Theodore Gray of PeriodicTable.com about 'em and he got #2 - also told him about the BOMACoin, and he got one for himself and Oliver Sacks, which I thought was cool, yet I digress...), and the grippy matte surface of his writing instrument was so durable that, when I put it in a pocket once, like sandpaper, it actually abraded and took off metal from whatever else was in there (keys, coins), so I had to REMOVE foreign material from its surface, lol. Then, almost a dozen years ago, Ed Pegg, Jr. of mathpuzzle.com decided to make a variation of a geometric shape for a tungsten ring (and Theodore's is here), and found a company who made 'em well, for $20, shipped (see the Aug entry there). The better half said I had to wear it if I got it, and not just have it as a chunk of tungsten, so I did, well, for maybe a couple of days. Way too shiny with all its facets, though, so a compromise was to have it with me all the time, and it's with the keys around the QR mechanism. What's fun is that, it's not a TrewTungsten ring, yet that one, even with all the metal objects with which it comes in contact, still has a polished surface and only about 2 or 3 micro-scratches, which I don't even know how they were made...

Sooo, yep, commonly-used metals will scratch, yet if someone (hopefully me, SOMEDAY) created a mirror-polished WC body for a writing instrument, with a more matte surface for the grip, that'd be way cool and pretty much always retain its OEM look...

10. Millman55

Millman55 Loaded Pockets

I do like that V2 Bolt and how it looks.
    The Brass one is on Sale. I do dig brass, because it can get scuffed up and still look cool.
    Any real disadvantage in taking Brass over Titanium or Copper when it comes to an EDC suit pen ?

11. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

Hey @Millman55 - I think there's differences in weight, which might not matter in a suit pocket, though in dress shirt pockets, it might make a difference. Whether or not it gains a patina is something to consider and personal preference. Otherwise, I often get white metal instruments (w/ the exception of Machine Era Co.'s original Solid Brass Pen01), so I don't really know from personal experience what other advantages/disadvantages there are.

Also, I forgot to mention that there's also a Ti version of the Böker Plus Tactical Pen K.I.D. CAL .50, which is a little more than what you might wanna pay. Yet it's Ti, a pocketable bolt-action writing instrument, and, what I thought was sorta amazing in such a short form factor, it took Parker-compatible International G2 refills (and not just the Fisher PR4 refills without the Parker adapter).

Hope you find one ya like!

12. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

No issues in suit pocket, but can be a problem in shirt pocket -- the brass and copper will drag your shirt pocket towards the earth making for a awkward presentation. ;-) I have all three metals, and I rotate them regularly. Yeah, brass and copper do patina, and look awesome. Titanium, not so much, and people don't take a notice of it either (looks like SS). You'll get compliments on copper and brass pens, especially when then patina.

I'd say grab all three, one at a time, and then rotate.

Which looks cooler? Surely the Cu... :)
    [​IMG]

YankeeHotelFoxtrot and Millman55 like this.
  13. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

If ya like the clip/bolt-action mechanism of the TiScribe-Bolt and wanted a smaller form factor, then there's Machine Era's 2nd iteration of the Field Pen. It comes in a few flavors (stainless steel, black DLC on SS, and brass), and uses the Fisher PR4 size of refill. And the various MEC offerings I have are over yonder.

14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Big fan of Machine Era (own a compact stainless, in fact), but it grieves me that they built the Field Pen around such a limited refill as the Fisher refill. If they had instead built it around the Parker style refills, then it would probably result in higher sales without eliminating use with the Fisher (or Schmidt pressurized) refills. Before anyone decides I'm just Space Pen refill bashing, let me say I own 3 pens that use them and one that uses the Schmidt Parker size pressurized refill....but, I rarely use them day to day because they simply do not write anywhere nearly as well as various gel, hybrid, and rollerball equipped pens I own.

15. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I am yet to find a Fisher refill that writes smooth... I consider them to be some of the most over-hyped refills... Also a reason why I don't use Machine Era pens...

16. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

Save up and get the one they're copying:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Not knocking ya patina guys but guess since I'm an electrician (deal with copper and brass daily) I just like the clean look of SS or Ti. If we all had the same tastes life you be pretty boring.

YankeeHotelFoxtrot and Tesla like this.
  18. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, but the Machine Era compact uses D1 refills--which are available in ballpoint, gel, or hybrid ink..my favorite is the Schmidt Easy Flow D1.

19. oke

oke Loaded Pockets

The TiBolt? Never heard o' it.... :D Yep, his and Maxmadco's are some of the earliest bolt-action writing instrument designs which I noticed...

And some trivia about the TiBolt and Maxmadco's creation - Back in '09, Brian Fellhoelter had an idea for a new pen design, and he happened to be friends with "maxdmadco", who also was crafting up a new pen. And, on the same day, without even telling each other beforehand any details about their ideas, they shared with each other the mock-ups, and maxmadco's ended up being that one & Brian's design was an earlier version of his TiBolt, and they were surprised that they both (independently) thought of bolt-action pens! (as told to me in a pm over at usn)...

Just after that time, I had a bolt-action writing instrument that I found at that one auction site, from darkmetal-design, yet that was in '10, so Fellhoelter and Maxmadco could've had their designs created before then, which I thought was neat.

ETA the actual message from Brian, which I found:
    Edited 'cuz I just noticed that I typed, TWICE, "madmaxco" instead of "maxmadco"... Ugh.

Last edited by oke, Feb 28, 2019
    #20 oke, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    choombak likes this.