1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Vacuum Packed Gloves?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by bmstrong, Sep 17, 2018.

1. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Anyone run across a company offering a vacuum packed FLAT Bearclaw pair or similar nitrile gloves? I'm trying to get everything as tight as I can for a running kit I'm building.

2. Mitch_Aus

Mitch_Aus Loaded Pockets

Could buy your own vacuum sealing machine. I own one and find it very useful. Love to vacuum seal food when I am going on a long camping trip.

3. TheRunner

TheRunner Empty Pockets

Got a pic. of that completed running kit?

4. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

I also put a simply vacuum sealing machine on my last years Christmas wish list - and, being a nice guy, Santa fulfilled my wish and I've got one with a pack of different sized vacuum plastic bags.

Recently I tried out to shrink-wrap a trauma pack, consisting of SWAT TQ, Nitril gloves, Z-folded gauze. Quite impressive how much smaller this pack is compared to when un-vacuumed.

I'll try to vacuum-seal two pairs of Nitril gloves as time permits and will provide a picture here.

Jedi5150, TheRunner and bmstrong like this.
  5. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

I vacuumed sealed a couple IV start kits a couple years ago. what I found with using vacuum bags is that the bags are fairly thick to keep food from getting freezer burned. the thickness of these bags may slow you down when you need a pair of gloves. I have since then stopped vacuum sealing my kit and am using zip lock bags because they are easier to open in an emergency.

my only advice if you are dead set on vacuum sealing your stuff is keep longer edges around your seal and cut dog ears ( long tabs that will allow you to tear open the packages). you might be able to use the vacuum sealer with zip-lock style bags ( i do that for my pill packages)

6. FiaOlleDog

Two YT videos on above topic:

chaosmagnet and Jedi5150 like this.
  7. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I vacuum seal to save space, but cut a small slit about half the width of the seam and put a small piece of grip tape on each side of slit. This enables the bag to be ripped pretty easily. I also use slit (if not already one) and grip tape on wrapped bandages.

FiaOlleDog and Jedi5150 like this.
  8. maillet282

maillet282 Loaded Pockets

also keep in mind there are some things that should not be Vacuum sealed. I tried to vacuum seal a BVM ( Bag valve Mask) to save space in my med bag. kept it sealed for a week and then opened it up to see how it tolerated it. it did not re inflate to full capacity in turn reducing the amount of air able to be ventilated into a casualty.

after seeing that I ended up ordering one of these Pocket BVM
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00JB2I8DY/?coliid=I1X6B9QBB2NHKF&colid=A7V71B1G83HK&psc=0

FiaOlleDog, chaosmagnet and Jedi5150 like this.
  9. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Loaded Pockets

Those pocket BVM's are awesome. I keep one in my large kit. But even with them, I'd check it every year or two, I've heard they do wear, even in the packing, due to temp and humidity changes, and go bad after a time.

10. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Loaded Pockets

Skinny Medic is one of the best Youtubers for that category of information, and he's incredibly humble and down to earth. I've subscribed to his channel and recommend it to anyone wanting first aid info.

TJones and FiaOlleDog like this.
  11. FiaOlleDog

Update on my self-vacuum sealed trauma kit: after about four month carrying it in the pocket of my jacket or in a smaller EDC bag it seems it got punctured (unintentionally) which causes the vacuum to disappear and let air into the freezer bag. Not an issue from the hygiene perspective - but the trauma kit became more bulky (due to the included air) and stuff started to move around inside the freezer bag.

I need to try more reliable/heavy duty freezer vacuum bags next time.

#11 FiaOlleDog, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
  12. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This was my experience too. I’ve even had the problem with a few items that were bought store bought and pocket carried, they start getting are in after months of carrying.

13. Burncycle

Burncycle Loaded Pockets

I vacuum seal a pair of nitrile gloves with trimmed down foodsaver bags and carry them as part of my EDC.

I also have an IFAK vacuum sealed, sized for a cargo pocket. It's slightly curved and contours the leg, and doesn't stick out significantly.

All of them have a V notch cut to easily open them.

Foodsaver bags suck at keeping their seal. Might try vacuum sealing mylar instead.

#13 Burncycle, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    FiaOlleDog likes this.