1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

V-notch or no V-notch?

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by SheepDog556, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

Which do you prefer on your pocket pry tool (atwrench, prybaby etc) and why?

2. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

I am a fan of the v-notch. In my opinion there is no minuses over the non v-notch, but additional capabilities.

3. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I thought it was crazy to have an atwrench without a v notch, and I was tempted to grind one in, until I needed to use it to scrape a gasket. The plain edge was the ticket, whereas the v notch would have made it more difficult. One of each is the answer... :)

4. SheepDog556

SheepDog556 Empty Pockets

Have one of each, I am trying to figure out which one to keep!

I can only reasonably carry one at a time.

5. blonzo

blonzo Loaded Pockets

another vote for v-notch..........i find myself using it more and more

6. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Has there ever been a v-notch Keyton?

7. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

I vote for 1 of each as well. They just serve different purposes. I have an atwrench with the v notch and a flat Ti Gasbaby without, the perfect combo IMHO. However, I also have the Nibble (without a notch) on my keys as well.... So maybe a rew of each is really the answer...

8. tipubuta

tipubuta Empty Pockets

I was fortunate to secure 3 pcs from Peter, 2xV-Notch Atwrench (one with glow dot) and a G3.

IMO the V-Notch is a useful feature. I can see numerous applications for it. For scraping I rely on my Ti spannerbaby..

9. Angry Scientist

Angry Scientist Empty Pockets

the v-notch is great. i am able to use it on phillips screws, which i would not be able to do without the notch. it also works for slotted screws, and prying on smaller things (which is presumably what most of us use it for, since bigger things warrant bigger tools)

10. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

I prefer the plain tip over the v-notch. I think it just suits my needs better.

I love the plain flat tip of the Atwrench. I think on a Prybaby the v-notch works well being it has a more narrow tip. I would however like a G3 without a v-notch.

One of my favorite tools is the flat ti Gasbaby. That tool seems to fit me perfectly. I haven't been able to get my hands on a flat ti Spannerbaby, but I think it would replace my EDC Gasbaby. Seems like having two tools one with the V and one without makes sense. I like the Atwrench plain tip and some variation of the Prybaby with a V combination.

11. Itamimasu

Itamimasu Loaded Pockets

When I got my Fancy Atwrench I thought, why would anyone not want the notch?
    But, after carrying my new Nibble around.... Hmmm....
    I would be hard pressed to have to pick one over the other.

12. amphipolis

amphipolis Loaded Pockets

I have had quite a few occasions to use the v-notch. But I guess I hedge my bets: I carry a Ti prybaby with notch and a nibble without. :)

13. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

How would one use the V-notch on a Phillips head screw? On an angle? Seeing as I have only had mine for a little over a week, I can not form an opinion yet, but the v notch is sure nice pulling angry staples from target frames.

14. lmbc2

lmbc2 Loaded Pockets

I just put one of the notches into one of the slots on the + of the phillips head screw. It is basically using a slotted screwdriver to turn a phillips head screw. Because the 2 sides of the v-notch are fairly short, they fit into some phillips head screws whereas the larger slotted end would not.

15. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

Cool, will have to give that a try

16. hjdca

hjdca Empty Pockets

The V-Notch is good for opening those real thick plastic packages that are usually used to package small electronics accessories, think Frys. You know the ones that you do not want to ruin your knife blade on and have to use scissors... Use the v-notch, Poke it in, turn it, then use the v-notch to slice through the plastic. Works great, no scissors required. :)

17. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I prefer v-notch. My ideal pry-tool would also have a long, flat ruler-like edge for scraping.

18. lightsandknives

lightsandknives Empty Pockets

I've been trying to make up my mind since this thread started. Two weeks later, I still can't decide if I had to choose one, which it would be. So of course, one of each is the answer.

The plain Atwrench never leaves my keychain however..... :-X

19. CJay

CJay Empty Pockets

One of each works for me too. I keep finding good uses for the V-notch. Today it was good for ripping through the paper wristbands once the family and I were done playing at the local KidsFunZone.
    :cool:

20. itguy05

itguy05 Loaded Pockets

Oh that's a great idea! I have cut myself several times opening these packages!

I have two atwood tools: a 3G Prybaby and a Nibble. I can't decide between the two! Based on this thread I am leaning towards the v-notch.