1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

USPS doesn't even merit being described as 'it sucks'!

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Moshe ben David, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Dell? Gateway? I didn't realize they're still around. Well, I know Dell is but mostly commercial sales rather than retail I think. But Gateway?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

ran23 likes this.
  2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

It was a few years ago, my wife's Dell Christmas present didn't make it but I still got notification of it. The Postmaster showed me the sorting room, and pointed to all the computer boxes with their names all over. 'this is why laptops disappear so often'

3. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

I’ve had more issues with FedEx than USPS. Don’t get me started about Amazon Prime delivery utilizing their own vans and contract delivery drivers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Sometimes, I get annoyed when the Amazon drivers don't want to take the last couple of steps and fling the package onto the concrete porch. A bit problematic when said package is a block of reference metal objects in a lightly padded envelope.

For Amazon, I honestly think it's a bit of a cultural thing. They do so much business that they are willing to engage in some practices that would seem less than customer-centric if they can statistically bury it based on pure numbers.

In the last week:

1) Delivered some pocket screws in a damaged plastic container because the box basically had no packing material. At the screws were there, so it's unlikely the customer (me) is going to try to do a return/exchange, but since the container was reusable and stackable in the larger containers in the system, still kind of annoying.

2) Amazon delivered the same wrong item two times in a row, even though, I sent them an email of what was sent and what was ordered and correctly displayed on their website. In the end, I got "store credit" and got to keep both items without returning them. People rairely complain about free merch.... even when they might have a reason two.

3) And this one just flummoxes me. Amazon thought 2 sheets of brown paper in an oversized box was sufficient to keep an 18-19 lbs item made of steel, aluminum, and plastic from doing itself damage in transit while traveling in a single layer corrugated cardboard box. Long story short, I ordered two items. They had to send a total of six. two randomly arrived intact, 4 committed ritual suicide in transit.

I told them exactly what was happening. I sent them pictures of my OCD packing job to return their damaged items without further damage, and an explanation of what they had to do to get the merchandise to me safely. And while they seemed all contrite the did not deviate one iota from the packing supplies/procedures. They were willing to repeatedly roll the dice, trash stuff, and have it returned to them on their dime until enough items got through undamaged to fill the order. This wasn't a matter of contract drivers. These were UPS deliveries and the drivers seemed kind of embarrassed by Amazons woefully lacking packing.

I am very well aware that all of these are very much 1st world problems.

ATB,
    Sam

5. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

:bounce: Reasonable management would have been a plus at the GMF or the ASF. It's interesting seeing the perspective of those that haven't work at the PO and how they perceive things to be. Some are so misinformed about the caliber of people who work there. The one thing I miss most now that I've retired are the guys and gals I spent so much time with. Don't miss the Holidays and what that brought every year with the mandatory OT and the extra shift fill in but the money was good and we got things done for the consumer in time for them to have their Christmas. Many have no idea how much is sacrificed by postal employees.

6. Moshe ben David

Which is why whenever possible I have Amazon ship to an Amazon locker at my nearby supermarket... unfortunately I am starting to see quite a few items that they WON'T ship to said locker. Some I have cancelled the order as a result.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

7. Moshe ben David

You're a more generous soul than I. Not first world problems in my book. Rather a symptom of an old old problem in industry related to maximizing profit whilst minimizing costs and the customer be damned.

Your stories about packing reminded me of what the manager in the shipping department at the first place I worked professionally had what I thought was a disturbing point of view on shipping. I was the sole QA engineer for the plant and I was trying to identify why we were seeing a rise in customer issues with damaged goods. With a very straight face (and I still believe he was serious) he explained that having a certain level of damage in shipping told him he was properly optimizing his practices to control costs... It took quite a lot of effort to get him to change, believe me!

I fear Amazon's practices are being overly influenced by the guys who in past days would have been wearing green eyeshades and had a shirt pocket of sharpened pencils...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

8. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

USPS quality of service has gone down some, but not terribly so. All in all, I've had excellent overall service from them. The tracking can be fraught with confusion, though. I have indeed had some strange & troubling experiences. Once I dropped off 3 packages. Two appeared in the system later that night, but the 3rd did not. Next day, still nothing. How could this be? Well, on the following day, suddenly & miraculously, the other package appeared. Both got to their destinations. There are many things that can cause delays:
    1. Facility takes wrong bin as priority and bin holding your package is delayed.
    2. Package is being routed to a different depot because of the destination and can take longer.
    3. Sometimes tracking system has "hiccups" and updates might stop, usually resumed later.
    4. Third party carriers can be involved, which complicates things.
    I've had 3 attempted deliveries where things went wrong.
    1) The Apt # label on my mailbox fell off. I didn't even notice it (it's small). When a new carrier took over, he didn't know where my package should go, despite there being a label on the inside (which is seen when they open the door to the building mailbox unit). They sent it off to be returned. THANKFULLY I caught this early enough and was able to request a redelivery. I fixed the mailbox, and so the parcel was delivered.
    2) Package was claimed as delivered but it wasn't. I checked with neighbors, & nothing. It was a $25 item. Never found out what happened.
    3) Seller sent a package to me but forgot to put on a few things: a) My name, b) Apt number. The carrier didn't know what to do with it, so it was to be return to sender. ONLY... the stupid seller left that off too. It was routed down to the MRC (Mail Recovery Center) in Atlanta. Now, I opened up a missing mail case on this. I had the tracking #. I knew where it should be delivered. So I provided all that info. In desperation, I reached out on the USPS sub on Reddit. Guess what? An employee there helped me and obtained a package scan! I was able to get the image. I added that to my missing mail inquiry. So I should have gotten my package... but alas, I never did. I kept getting periodic "We're still looking" emails from USPS. But ultimately, the tracking number expired, and after 4 months, they closed the case. I did get my money back from the seller, though... because he couldn't refute the package scan. He goofed & was caught.

Outside of this, no other problems for hundreds of packages. That's an excellent track record.

EveryDayBeer likes this.
  9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

After a couple of years of service from USPS that has been hard to fault, I got bit yesterday/today.

I was waiting for a package yesterday, and dozed off late in the afternoon, woke up to a text message that my package had been delivered to my mailbox. I went out and there was nothing in the mailbox.

USPS is impossible to reach by phone. Basically, you get led around a series of voice menus whose only purpose is to make you throw your hands up and give up. Filed a lost package case online. Contacted the retailer and asked them to track things on their end too.

I went to the post office at 8:00 am this morning... only to find out they didn't open till 9:00 :stomp:. I went home, had some breakfast... back to the post office. I gave them all the tracking info and the case number I opened last night. They said the carriers hadn't left yet on their routes, so they would go check with the person that had the route the prior day.

Waited...

Waited some more...

The carrier whom I recognized from seeing around the neighborhood came out carrying my package. No one could explain why it had been scanned as delivered or more importantly why it was scanned as specifically being delivered to the mailbox.

Irksome, but I was just happy to have my very expensive drill bits intact and in hand.

Hopefully, we can go another 2+ years without any postal excitement.

ATB,
    Sam

10. Moshe ben David

@indigo_wolf: I feel your pain. Which is why started this thread with the title I did... At least it ended well for you this time.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

My experience with mail/parcel carriers has been interesting, and varied based on where Im at.

When I was growing up our mailman always delivered the mail at 2:00 PM. Like clockwork it was so reliable. We never had anything UPS or FedExed so I cant comment to that. But, I did have a package ship DHL and was simply told "It'll arrive [today]." I had to stay home from class to make sure I was there when the package arrived so that my dog wouldn't destroy or run off with it.

When I grew up and moved to a different city things changed. My mail carrier now delivers my home mail anywhere between Noon and 3:00 PM. No rhyme or reason why. The mail carrier at our old downtown office was on time every day: noon. We could clock out for lunch and meet her in the lobby of the building, she was so reliable. Our UPS guy was there at 11:00. Reliably. FedEx? whenever he felt like it, if he felt like it at all.

I had a package come FedEx once and decided to just stay in the office to recieve it. As Im sitting in my office I get a delivery notification attempt email. Im sitting right by the door: he never came in. So I called the hub to complain and they said "he couldnt get to the building, the street is closed."
    it's true, the street out front was undergoing repair, but as I told the lady it didn't stop the UPS guy from coming just one hour prior. This FedEx driver couldnt pull his truck right up to the front of the building, so he didnt bother. I was told he'd be back tomorrow, and he was, but it was so dumb.

We've moved to a new office and the mail carrier here is wholly and utterly unreliable. Sometimes he drops mail off at 1:00, sometimes he's not there till 8:00. Yep: 8:00 PM. Sometimes he drops mail off mid-day then comes back later in the evening with packages instead of doing it all at once. He also doesn't read the signs posted on every door of our office: "This is a business: bring mail and packages inside. Do NOT leave them on the porch, and do NOT deliver after 5:00 PM: they'll get stolen." The moron will throw things up on the porch instead of bringing them to the door.

I've tracked items that show due for delivery before 8:00 PM, and have literally left work at 5:00, gotten the notification at 7:00, and had to drive back to my office to pick the package up so it wont get stolen.

We've also been told by our mail carriers that we're on the tail end of the route, and any mail that does not get delivered today will get delivered tomorrow: at the same time since we're at the end of the route. It's maddening trying to get the Post Office to understand that we aren't there after 5 to receive mail and we don't want them leaving things to get stolen. We're talking professional licensing documents and other such important things. USPS doesnt care.

UPS and Fedex are a little better. They at least read the signs and bring things inside, but even they sometimes try to make after-5:00 deliveries.

I've taken to putting instructions on every order I place now. I tell the vendor to instruct the shipping carrier to bring the package inside, don't leave it on the porch, and dont deliver after 5:00. So far it's worked.

12. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

I have great postal carriers. Consistent, still delivers to my doorstep in my neighborhood, takes my outgoing mail and small packages and says howdy. With informed delivery, I see a scan of all my incoming mail that day. Beats delivering it yourself, same with the complainers about long supermarket lines, beats hunting and growing your own limited variety.

13. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

I am Canadian and I can't stand USPS. I had a pocket clip sent to me on Jan 20/2020,got it Feb18/2020. It took almost a month to get to me from California. The tracking system sucks as it only said it left the distribution centre. I called USPS to see if they could help me out. After being on hold for over an hour they said they had no idea where it was. But at least I got it!

14. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I opened a case with the USPS Postal Inspector. Since September 2019, 3 birthday/Christmas cards which contained gift cards have been opened with the gift cards removed. During the conversation, I learned the USPS Informed delivery email with the scanned envelopes happens upstream. None of the image scans for the cards had the damaged delivered condition. The damaged happened post image scanning.

My sister sent Valentines cards to her grandsons with damage to the cards and the valuables removed. She had insurance but USPS requested a purchase receipt before reimbursing her.

15. Moshe ben David

I would say this is one of the most egregious instances I've heard of! Wonder if somehow the scanning is revealing the gift cards were inside? I can't imagine how that would be but it makes a certain amount of perverse sense...

When/if you hear anything constructive back from the Postal Inspector it might be useful for the rest of us if you could share...!

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

16. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Not all of the gift cards sent us have gone missing which indicates to me it is a person between the sorting and delivery removing the gift cards. The mail is usually grouped and bound with a rubber band before being sent to the local office for delivery. It may not be the home delivery person.

Our NextDoor neighborhood group is filled with complaints about mail delivery issues. That is one reason all bills except for a couple of tax bills are all delivered to an email account.

17. Moshe ben David

Yikes! Hope they get to the bottom of this soon for all y'all!

Moshe

18. Sentinel-14

USPS hit a new low this weekend.

I had an order ship out on Wednesday, 2-day shipping. It said it was scheduled for delivery on Saturday by 8:00 PM. I was hoping (foolishly) that it'd show up before 5 on Friday since Friday, not Saturday, is 2 days after Wednesday. Nope. The dolts tried to delivered my package to a closed office at 9:45 Saturday morning. Then, not apparently understanding that no cars in the lot, no lights, and locked doors means no people, they tried delivering again at 7:00 that evening. Only then, after failure #2, did they issue an "alert" that delivery was attempted and failed. Of course, they do not give you any method to contact the post office and resolve the issue. No phone number to call, no email, nothing. Just "oh hey, we tried and failed. We'll try again next business day."

Not a big deal, I guess: I knew I wouldn't be able to get the package if they dropped it off on Saturday so I just resigned myself to get it on Monday. Except, despite their own statement that they would try again "next business day", they didn't even put it on a truck for Monday delivery. They didn't touch the package until putting it on the truck for delivery today! And, naturally, when the guy showed up he just left the package on the porch without announcing himself in any way, despite my explicit instructions on the package (and on our building's exterior doors) to bring it inside*. We're in a less-than-upstanding neighborhood: package theft is a real and common problem so we have t have things brought in, or at least be notified when they're left at the door. Just knock!

I am so fed up with the postal service. They don't follow instructions, they can't deliver on time, they can't prioritize deliveries when they fail to meet their own timeframes...

* I get it, alright? I do. In these times when everyone is hyper-afraid of catching the plague no one wants to go inside a building if they can avoid it. Well, suck it up USPS: your job is to deliver the mail and our mail has to be delivered indoors. Or at least have the courtesy to announce yourself so we can grab the mail when you leave, if you're that damned afraid of human contact.

19. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

It's 7:30pm and still waiting for the mailman!!

20. Sentinel-14

Apologies to all but I need to vent, so I'm reviving this thread with another complaint about our old friend, the USPS. This isn't really anyone's fault though, more a gripe at the circumstance and the system in general.

I had a package ship out on 12/12 with an estimated delivery date of 12/16. I was aware that delivery might possibly be a bit late due to increased volume because of Christmas shipping. No big deal, this isn't a Christmas present anyway so the world's not going to end if it's not on time. So, the USPS takes possession of the package on 12/12 and..... that's it. That's the last they know of it. Their tracking system (when it works) says they took possession of it in Madison, NC on 12/12, and it originally had the estimated date of 12/16, but it seems like ever since they missed that goal the system just stopped working. No updates, nothing. Odds are it's on a truck at some distribution hub somewhere, and I understand it wouldn't show up in their system if it's still on the truck: that is, hasn't been taken off the truck, checked in, processed, checked out, then put on another truck bound for another hub. It's probably on a truck that just hasn't been looked at yet.

BUT, that's the frustrating thing. Why is their system not set up to know that tracking number XXXXXXXXXXX was put on truck number ######, and the truck left the hub on such-and-such date. Then, the system could at least tell me the truck arrived at another hub on such and such date, even if the package wasn't processed thru yet.

They've missed their target delivery date by 10 days now. More frustrating is that this package is the first of 5 that I ordered in a two-day span: and I've gotten 2 of the more recent ones already. All USPS. So it's not a case of one shipping carrier being better: 5 packages, all USPS, and 1, 4 and 5 are all still in limbo. 2 and 3 were at least delivered, albeit late.

I just dont like packages being in limbo. Packages 1 and 4 have no information: just "in transit" with no estimated date of arrival. Package 5 is estimated to be delivered on Monday the 28th, but I have my doubts about that given the USPS's utter failure to provide proper updates and tracking progress.