1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

USPS doesn't even merit being described as 'it sucks'!

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Moshe ben David, Jul 13, 2019.

1. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Been there. Someone tore open an ebay purchase a couple years ago; a few camelbak pouches.

2. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Two truisms of life:
    1. You can kill anyone
    2. You can steal anything
    There is surprisingly little theft from the USPS sort facilities because of the pace of the process, the number of cameras and the fact most employee's are honest. That's not to say it doesn't happen BUT it is rarely successful. The Postal Inspectors are seriously on it. Most theft occurs after the item gets to a station for delivery. Many items get delivered to the wrong address, are pilfered there by the resident and the empty box is given back to the carrier or dropped into a box outside a station. Even as an employee if it was important, say closing docs on a home or checks, I would request Fed-X signature delivery or would post my personal items through Fed-X also requiring the Addressee's signature. Used to make the customers at Fed-X smile when I'd roll in with my uniform and ID, wait in line with them. Your mileage may vary.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Yeah, that can be a pain on several levels. OTOH, at least you were not out any cash nor had a live bill sitting on your credit card. That's one of the benefits I found when I declined to pick up a package at the locker. I had tried cancelling the order but this was one of those times when Amazon shipped DAYS earlier than forecast! But since it 'stayed in their possession, my credit card never actually got hit with the order and I didn't have to deal with a return process. When combined with the elimination of a risk of a porch pirate, using the Amazon lockers is my default approach when going through Amazon now. To the extent that sometimes it influences which item(s) I will buy....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

4. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

My three most memorable:

#1 Custom fixed blade $300+ value, looked just like your box someone is enjoying it somewhere.
    #2 Folding wooden bucksaw, gone, Empty box.
    #3 Received a label, just a label, no package.

In all three of these cases, I blame the person who shipped them not USPS! I would never ship USPS boxes without reinforcing with tape. Especially ones that rely entirely, or partially upon folded tabs for integrity. Your box should have been taped as well, If you ask your local PO they will even provide USPS shipping tape free, well mine will anyway.

Also I have a developed a very friendly relationship with my local Post Master. He is a good guy, it is amazing what can be done If motivated.
    I'm sure a lot of what he has done for me would not likely be done if I lived in a large city where his available time would be much more limited. Currently he has recovered 3 lost packages that would have remained lost if not for his assistance.

Some interesting things I've found out from him.

When a package is scanned as delivered a GPS coordinate is automatically entered and available for them to check.
    Every single package that is scanned enroute to customers is photographed and pictures are viewable by higher level Postal workers.

I'm sure there are numerous other internal tools I've not been told about.

There are hundreds of thousands of package lost or stolen each year via USPS, but it is a very very small percentage of the total volume they handle

5. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Sir, I can assure you that not every package with a bar code is scanned successfully and I am personally unaware of any package that gets photographed during the scanning process and I worked that specific job both manually with a hand scanner and on a high speed sorting machine for a number of years.

6. ccwaters

ccwaters Loaded Pockets

Because your personally unaware it does not happen? Here is an email from my contact. If you'd like I can supply you with contact info and you can call him @USPS and ask him. The way I understand it packages which are scanned unsuccessfully are diverted to another machine, and if that fails divert to a human. /that is what I was told by my local guy,

Here is a screenshot of an email from him of an at the time overdue first class package which was 10 days late and was its last scan at the time.

Your obviously out of date with your info, or just not privy to the details.. I don't make things up, and do not make claims unless I have first hand knowledge.

And yes I did mark out my address.

[​IMG]

#46 ccwaters, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Sir, that is the intake scan at the station it was presented at. The sort facilities would then run the package through a high-speed sorter, it would then go into a container for shipment to the assigned station. That machine does not photograph the package but annotates the code with a date and time and GPS. From there the PSE at the station would scan it and then the Carrier would get it. The carrier would then scan it upon delivery. None of those operations would involve a picture. As for out of date, I just retired from the USPS and they can't change :censored: in a year let alone install new equipment in Billings. As for diverted packages going to a human, that was me and I will once again tell you that NUMEROUS packages are never scanned because the code won't process or the system won't take it. Believe what you like, I worked there. As for "your guy" PM me his information I'll give him a shout.

#47 medic68, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  8. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Amazon charged and refunded the purchase in the same billing cycle. The new purchase hit the next CC cycle.

9. wanderer16

wanderer16 Loaded Pockets

I guess I am the exception. I order most everything other than groceries online. I use Amazon, Ebay and several other vendors and merchants. I am not the impatient type so I never really get too stressed with how long it takes. I live in a sorry State of the Union so I try my best to not support local businesses therefore I spend a lot of money in blue states that require items to be shipped here. So you can imagine I get a lot of packages either thru USPS, UPS, FED-EX etc. Other than maybe a late package a time or two I have never had a problem except around the holidays with contract delivery drivers with Amazon delivering to my neighbors. I have received thousands upon thousands of pieces of mail from the USPS during my lifetime and have to give them credit for being far more efficient than any private carrier just due to the sheer volume of mail they have delivered.

10. kevin.hartley.311

kevin.hartley.311 Empty Pockets

Every time I order something and it says being shipped via USPS I feel a little hurt inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David and neo71665 like this.
  11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Any idea on the missort rate using the machines? I currently have an international package that is now heading in the wrong direction. I just had a package go through ISC in Chicago, which is only 6 hours from me, but now the package has arrived in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Usually, once it leaves Chicago, I get it the next day, but this time it went to Grand Rapids, Michigan Distribution Annex. Do you think the missort will the mistake be caught there?

12. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

It should get corrected and sent on correctly as long as it doesn't just get marked RTS. If it goes back to the sender it will need to be resent. I know there are a number of clerks at the SLC ASF that spend their days correcting those mistakes and getting things sent on their way.

kikaida likes this.
  13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

You might still get it. I've had more than one package arrive at Chicago, then ping pong to cali, and then new york before finally showing up here in Arkansas when using USPS. I wouldn't even call from Chi town to MI a wrong direction.

kikaida likes this.
  14. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

The cameras and software have been upgraded on the older machinery and some of the more modern machinery can already capture images of the packages that are successfully scanned by OCR. I'm sure some of the non-scannable packages have images associated with them as well but... there's no way to track them so good luck with that. None of said images are available to the general public or the majority of USPS employees. I do have access as it is required for parts of my job - I am maintenance and work on the machinery in question.

As for hand scanning you are correct. You can PM me if you're curious about the above.

kikaida and medic68 like this.
  15. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

Kudos to you! Us clerks (who run flat sorters or work on an HSUS) couldn't do our job without you guys.

EveryDayBeer and kikaida like this.
  16. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

I'll drink to that, cheers. Actually used to be a clerk myself for at least ten years. Switched over a while back and can do another twenty easy. Don't need to eat ibuprofen like it's candy any more! Downside is that I don't see a lot of my old co-workers. Different shift different jobs.

The work is actually fun though, and I have (are you sitting down?) reasonable management. They leave me alone to do my job! I've been trained on AFSM100 but never get to go over there.

kikaida and medic68 like this.
  17. medic68

medic68 Loaded Pockets

I've worked with a number of clerks who have done what you did. Hopefully your on a day tour!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

18. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

:censored: & No.... because privatizing prisons has worked out so gosh darn well.

UPS is privatized. and their delivery estimates are for absolute crap. If you have a UPS pick up at your house, the arrival window is the size of Wyoming and the only way to narrow that down is to spend another $11-15 dollars.

UPS has NEVER hit a delivery estimate for the hour of the day... EVER.

FedEx.... also privatized. Constantly overbook, and constantly generating delivery exceptions at 8:05 PM just after their EOD because they committed to too many deliveries that day, so congrats... you get pushed to the next day. But it's not like you get prioritized the following day because you were a delivery exception the previous day. :censored: No.... if you were on the :censored:-end of their delivery route on the original date. Then you're on the :censored:-end of the delivery route when they are playing catch-up with delivery exceptions.

All the carriers privatized or not are well-versed in the hit-and-run delivery, where a package is so f'ing mangled that common decency would require someone to ring the doorbell and confirm a delivery refusal, but heck no. If there are 3 square inches of the package left, they will slap packing tape on it and drop it on your porch and run away as fast as humanly possible.

Special props to UPS for leaving a package in the driveway that could have EASILY fit on the porch.

USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL... there's plenty of competition... but all of them have figured out the irritation threshold you will endure without complaining excessively.

In the past week, UPS has attempted to delivery 3 sets of 2 packages (all the same vendor). All the packages showed some type of exceptional damage, resulting in 2 sets of returns for damaged items. The surviving balance can only be attributed to the patron saint of delivery packages.

USPS will kill a package at intake if they feel it is improperly packed. UPS doesn't care. They'll just toss it in their meat grinder. You'll get damaged goods which you will return through UPS (more business for them, regardless of who pays.... booyah!!!).

Privatization is not the cure-all for one gosh darn thing.

This has been a record week of me flipping damaged packages from multiple carriers so... very educational.

ATB,
    Sam

Last edited by indigo_wolf, Nov 21, 2019
    #58 indigo_wolf, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    EveryDayBeer likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@indigo_wolf: Sam, we're sort of in the same neck of the woods other than at opposite polarities of the compass... I'm down in Fairfax County. I've not experienced issues with either UPS nor FedEx as apparently you have. Just lucky maybe? OR.... maybe just my experience with USPS is so lousy that I find UPS and FedEx to be a breath of fresh air. Who knows?

All I can say for where I am now is that I do all I can reasonably do to avoid USPS...

Yeah, its a noticeably imperfect world...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

and now is the time of year, when they hire on temp help. and all those boxes marked Dell, Gateway, others, disappear In Nov and Dec.