1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Using Paracord as emergency escape rope...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Bogus, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I think he's talking about using paracord, not the grappling hook. That being said, I had a friend who said he would rappel down from a 2-3 story window when he was in college using paracord but I don't know if that was just :censored:-at the time, though, he probably weighed 165 lbs, soaking wet.

2. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Still waiting to see a video but I ain't gonna hold my breath!
    Mind you if a successful video is posted without any trickery in it, I may just go and eat one of my hats( no I'm not going to post a hat eating video)

3. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

RIP

:jester:

4. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

:laugh:

Really, LAUGHED. OUT. LOUD.

5. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

Well, if he weighed more than 20 lbs., the shock-loading that would have inevitably occurred would have snapped the line, likely before he even got both feet entirely out of the window frame.

6. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Okay, at the risk of angering the forum by resurrecting an old topic, I finally got to test this-sort of...

I took military issue paracord (OD green outer shell with 6 inner threads) and formed a loop on one end with an overhand knot-nothing fancier than thant. I then took the other end and tied it over the metal frame of a playground across the street from us and tied the end off one of the sides using two-half hitches. With clothing on, jacket, etc...I probably weigh 175 lbs, soaking wet.

Test one-I swung back and forth about three times. (I've worked with 550 cord for over a decade, so I was smart enough to bring a pair of leather gloves.)
    It didn't snap.

Test two-Based on the previous post, I shortened the length, balanced on the swing, and dropped down deadweight.
    It didn't snap. (It wasn't a true deadweight fall, because the stuff stretched, and I end up on the ground, but the stuff didn't break)

It was at night and it was raining, if that matters.

Scientific-no. Ill advised to try to rappel with the stuff-yes. Hurt like h*ll, even with gloves on, just holding on to it. I'm no expert, climber, etc...but again, after working with the stuff for over a decade, it's :censored: near indestructible.

7. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Great. Here we go ...

:laugh:

8. d7e7r7

d7e7r7 Empty Pockets

I know this thread is old but I was thinking about this today and did a search and this thread came up...
    Found this video on youtube after a search on the topic: