1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Using Paracord as emergency escape rope...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Bogus, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

In that case, great sense of adventure and good luck!!

2. Medic7158

Medic7158 Empty Pockets

And i will say this. A ladder, if constructed properly so as to distribute the load evenly amongst both of the main ropes, will give you at least 100% greater strength. Would i trust it? No.

3. Stormdrane

Stormdrane Loaded Pockets

A possible way to make paracord work 'as emergency escape rope', is to make it into an actual rope. By that I mean using a rope making method, like this one(pdf file), but done with paracord. I used this method with sisal or jute cord as a Boy Scout, making a short length of rope, to meet one of the requirements for a merit badge.

It would take a very long length of paracord, effort, and time to be turned into a usable/stronger length of rope. Even if making paracord rope is possible(I haven't tried it and don't know if anyone else has), such a rope still wouldn't match the stringent strength/safety requirements of climbing rope. You also need the skill set/training to safely secure and use any rope for climbing/descending.

Of all the things that can be done with paracord, 'emergency escape rope' doesn't belong on that list of possible uses. If you think the scenario of needing an emergency escape rope is a possibility that you want to be prepared for, have the proper equipment, knowledge, and training of how to use it beforehand. And if someone is determined to test a risky maneuver, despite the warnings against it, at least make sure not to put anyone else in danger. :)

4. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Here's my premise: I've been working with paracord for well over a decade and the stuff is :censored: near indestructable. Although I've never field tested it for this, I'm certain I could use it to get down from a 3-4 story window with no problems if TSHTF and it was the only option. On the other hand, once my buddy and I made a makeshift "swing with it out in the woods. He easily weighed ovwe 185 lbs and it supported our weight as we swung back and forth on it, around another tree, etc... like 2 bored idiots.

Would I use it to try and rapell down a mountainside. Absolutely not. :crazy2:

5. Pantex

Pantex Empty Pockets

6. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

Thank you!

7. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

NOT A LIFE SAFETY DEVICE etched on the side.

8. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

I had mentally discarded this post a long time ago, but now I'm intrigued-we need someone like Mythbusters to try this one out. Using military paracord tied off with knot, a carabiner as a handgrip, and a person weighing about 190 lbs, rapelling down from a 3-4 story window.

I think it could be done. We need a field test. :roof:

9. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

I'm not saying it's OK to use, but thats probably mostly just so that they're covered if someone injures themselves with one of those.

10. Mark123

Mark123 Empty Pockets

Kind of like the warning in lawnmover instructions that addresses the "inner Darwin" that says to not to use if off the ground to trim shrubbery. ;D

11. Codeman

Codeman Loaded Pockets

Actually, the pocket grappling hook is made out of soft aluminum. The warning is a real warning, not just a liability disclaimer.

12. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

13. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

C'mon, some body who owns a laptop try this out. Then you can post the results on this thread from ER while you are in the recovery room.

14. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

Hey yam, after physical therapy, I expect to see this thread:

"SurFires Used As Flotation Devices, Please Posts Successes Here."

15. spaceconvoy

spaceconvoy Loaded Pockets

By all means send it in - they're getting so desperate for new ideas they might actually try it, then this nonsense can be put to rest.

16. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

bingo! it was designed for throwing to catch wires and other objects (mines, gates, etc etc) on the battle field and pull them free or tug on them to see if they would trip a IED.

17. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

El Verbo, I guess the Surefire flotation users you are thinking of are the same people that will use a bandanna as an improvised parachute to get off a mountain in a hurry!

18. mahler9

mahler9 Banned

I use mine all the time for climbing my neighbor's 6 ft. wooden fence. Sometimes I like testing it's tensile strength by repelling down my office building from the 3rd floor - I haven't gone above that. Just three stories... I don't have enough 550 paracord to try anything higher than that yet.

19. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I'm going to call this one a troll until you (or someone that manages your estate) can take video and post it on youtube.

Until I see it, I will remain skeptical.

THIS THREAD IS WORTHLESS WITHOUT VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. devilchasnme

devilchasnme Guest

Ok, I tried it yesterday. I tried rapelling down from the top of an 8-story building to a 6th floor balcony but something happened, I don't know if the paracord broke or it slipped through my hand but I was falling and I hit the railing of the balcony then fell the 6 floors to my death.

Sorry, no video.