1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Using dental floss as sewing thread

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by davidt1, Aug 1, 2009.

1. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

One of my most important and useful EDC items is my dental care kit, as I floss and brush at least twice a day. I also carry sewing needles and thread. I have tried using sewing thread as dental floss recently. It didn't work out well. It didn't remove food residues nearly as well as dental floss. Today I tried using dental floss as sewing thread. It worked pretty good. The Crest Glide dental floss is tough and holds things together well. Yes: dental floss as sewing thread. No: sewing thread as dental floss.
    [​IMG]

2. xizzy

xizzy Empty Pockets

ROTFL!

Good to know ;)

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I have used dental floss as sewing thread for quite a while, its strong, abrasion resistant and works quite well

It doesn't feed thru a sewing machine too well though :)

4. V a a m Y o b

V a a m Y o b Loaded Pockets

I've used floss to sew buttons back on.
    The button will break long before the floss will.

5. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

I've been using it when I need a maximum strength repair. It's been working great. O0.

I may try to dig up clear and try it for buttons next.

6. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

Been using dental floss as thread for long time.
    It is great for temporary repairs and even permanent ones.

It is one of the best things to use when you need a strong thread to resew the busted seam in the crotch of your pants. :-[
    I keep a small repair kit in my EDC bag that includes dental floss, sewing needles, saftey pins, duct tape and buttons.

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Loaded Pockets

I've used it for small repairs several times. Second strongest thread after Dyneema.

8. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

Dental floss usually comes in white. This could be useful cos I only carry black sewing threads. I still use dental floss for its intended purpose -- flossing teeth. It's nice to know I can use it as sewing thread if necessary. I just bought 1 roll of Kevlar and 1 roll of Spectra sewing threads from Countycomm. These stuff are expensive but awesome. I EDC them in my wallet now.

9. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I've always usd 10lb monofilament for my crotches. I tend to bust the crotch out of every pair of pants I own.

10. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

Although both are strong, the Teflon flosses are best for stitching as they are monofilament and consequently much stronger than the polyamide type.

11. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

If you really want strong stitches use the proper thread: Coats brand nylon upholstery thread. It sells at my Wal Mart so I assume most of them carry it. It looks like normal black thread but it is several times stronger.

12. ozanrd

ozanrd Empty Pockets

I've repaired several items by using it as sewing thread. Very strong and dual purpose.

A tip for a dental floss sewing kit: Most dental floss containers have a removable floss spool mount thing. Remove this and place a few strong sewing needles in there—organized with a small piece of doubled over medical tape or paper so as not to tangle with the floss—along with a small and cheap needle threader. If you can, place it behind the spool rather than in front. Then replace the spool mount.

There you have it; An all in one sewing kit inside a single dental floss container.

13. metalfof

metalfof Empty Pockets

I use kevlar thread(for fly-tying),it comes in black and well its pretty tough stuff...must get some Spectra thread and give that a go.

14. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

An advantage of Teflon floss over nylon is the Teflon floss doesn't stretch and nylon, if it is under constant stress will never stop stretching.

15. Lugsalot

Lugsalot EDC Junkie!!!!!

Let us keep the focus of this thread on stitching, fellows, and not that which tests the stitches.

:mm:

16. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I am still rockin a backpack that has been repaired with dental floss. The stitching in the bottom of the the bag blew out at the seams so I doubled over the material and threaded through some dental floss. I lost some volume in the bag but the floss hasn't pulled through the material and it has been holding for years. I think the mint flavouring has been lost.

17. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

You checked? LOL!!

:lolhammer: