1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Users, not collectors...what handheld flashlights do you use for what?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dmattaponi, Feb 11, 2016.

1. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Shared this in another thread, but thought it would make an interesting stand alone flashlight thread...

I've placed all of my previously purchased CR123/CR2 led lights on reserve, and over recent months replaced them with AA lights for simplicity and economy.

Thrunite T10 - Hangs on neck lanyard from shelf near bed. Gets used pretty much nightly for something or other.

Thrunite Archer 1Av2 - Pocket edc light. Only sees occasional use, but I'm happy to know it's in my pocket should I need it while out and about.Fenix LD09 - Replaced by the Archer. Still a good light that I'll use for something. I like the size of the LD09 better than the Archer for pocket carry, but I like everything else about the Archer better than the LD09.

Fenix E12 - in car kit with Fenix headband for times a head lamp might be useful.

Thrunite TN4A CW - This is the main house light for family use, and is kept in a central location between living room and dining room that can be grabbed quickly and easily from either room. Intended for power outages, nighttime dog walking, and any other thing that might come up during the evening and night.

Thrunite TN4A NW - Kept on nightstand for things that go bump in the night or power outages when something brighter or longer lasting than the T10 may be desireable.

Thrunite TN4A CW - In vehicle glove box so I always have good emergency light or backup to my edc when traveling.

Thrunite TN4A HI - This is a very throw oriented light. Don't have a regular application for it. So for now it is in a grab and go bag for when I might want a flashlight that throws further than the regular TN4A.

All four TN4A have lumen ranges from long lasting .2-.5 lumens up to not so long lasting turbo modes of 1050-1150 lumens with decent middle range lumen levels too.

I wanted to make all the users simple AA lights, and currently they are all loaded with regular Eneloops or Eneloop Pros rechargeables. I don't really want to collect flashlights. For a number of years I was content with covering all of the bases with a small pocket light, but more recently I wanted to upgrade to a dedicated house light since I hadn't had one since the days of the incandescent MAG lights. I wound-up with the Thrunites more as a matter of trial and error because I wasn't sure if I would like the cool white or neutral white better, and then I wanted to compare the HI version to the regular versions.

As always, I'd be more than interested in hearing how others address this topic. Fun to compare and contrast, and learn from others experiences.

Last edited by dmattaponi, Feb 11, 2016
    carlinpole likes this.
  2. lightmyfire13

lightmyfire13 Loaded Pockets

Foursevens Atom AA with a tritium fob on bedside table (tritium makes it easy to find)ZL62W in cargo pants big pocket. ..Olight ie3 eos silver with 10440 with a small prybar for general around the house....Small cr 2016 coin cell light on a LM Wave in a small pocket (the light hangs from a small chain)another Atom AA stuck on side of fridge and all the rest in my (ie dads)cupboard Pics later

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. rockerZz

rockerZz Loaded Pockets

Streamlight Microstream. Inexpensive, regular batteries, very bright. I don't cry if I lose one.

RED-FIVE and dmattaponi like this.
  4. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

Fenix E12 : pocket ( going to town light)
    Fenix E21: The light I carry out and around the property at night.
    Olight baton: Truck light
    Thrunite: 1aV2 (archer): Wife's SUV
    Lightwave3000: nightstand
    Energizer Romeo: Stuck to the fridge

dmattaponi likes this.
  5. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

Very interesting to see the breakdown of what people use, and where they keep them and for what.

6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Promethius readymade. Neutral tint, about 500 lumens floody.
    This sits on my night stand.

Promethius beta qr copper. Neutral tint, i think 110 lumens, wouldn't say floody or beam. Always on my keychain.

Toolvn. Neutral tint. I think 700 or 800 lumens? Like the qr, between floody and beam. Very bright, but short duration. Entire flashlight is drained in minutes on high. This one sits in my car.

I have others, but they're stored away for emergency use.

[​IMG]

Nick4305 and dmattaponi like this.
  7. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

HDS rotary, always on my belt with spare battery
    Klarus XT11 and FourSevens quark turbo in my work car
    Fenix E05 in my pocket on keychain
    Surefire e2D and P3X bedside

dmattaponi likes this.
  8. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Oh, and Surefire E1B in my running jacket every morning.

dmattaponi likes this.
  9. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

I've got lights all over for everything, no shelf queens, all lights deployed waiting to be used.

• Streamlight Siege (D) upstairs hallway end table
    • Rayovac Indestructable (D) lantern on dining room end table
    • Convoy C8 (18650) on shelf at front door
    • Convoy M1 (18650) on shelf at garage door
    • SupBeam K40Mvn (3 - 18650) in kitchen
    • Fenix PD35 (18650) in bedside safe with wife's Sig P938
    • Main camera bag in the dining room has a BLF Eagle Eye X6 (18650) and Fenix E05SS (AAA) (on a keyring) in it
    • Work bag (5.11 Rush72) in dining room is loaded
    • SupBeam K40vn (3 - 18650) main comparment
    • Fenix PD35vn (18650) left side pocket
    • Nitecore HC50 (18650) sunglass pocket
    • Fenix E15 (cr123) on a keyring in the admin pocket
    • Streamlight Siege (AA) right side pocket
    • Nitecore EA11 (14500) in my Maxped Beefy in the main compartment
    • Fenix HL50 (cr123) strapped to backpack strap
    • Thrunite TH10 (18650) (temporary, just got it, checking it out, will probably end up in a car bag)
    • Fenix PD22vn (16340) on my person
    Every single room in the house has at least 1 AA/AAA cheapie Costco or Sipik clone light in it, kids are always running around with them but as I do my walk around/clean up at night I redistribute as needed. They know not to mess with the higher end lights unless they are given to them or it is an emergency.

Also higher end lights in every car and car bag, first aid bag.

10. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

So true, no point in a decent and versatile light if you can't find it in the dark :)

My EDC lights,at the moment, are..Eagletac D25A clicky, D25A Nichia ti, Zebralight SC52W (perfect wee light), the new Zebra SC600W Mk3 ( awesome jump from the Mk1), and an Olight S1 Baton. I'm kinda sorted for good lights just now.

dmattaponi and lightmyfire13 like this.
  11. nice65

nice65 Loaded Pockets

Ooh, and these. They get less use, but can be found on the 'nightstand' as you lot call it. It's actually a 'bedside table' ;)

[​IMG]

Olight S10 Baton in Ti.

Eagletac with Nichia.

[​IMG]

Edit. I used the IMG link from PBucket, but no show?

Sorted...:)

Last edited by nice65, Feb 12, 2016
  12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I pretty much just collect users!
    I think I have 1 light that I don't use and mainly because I am afraid I might burn something down with it?

I mostly prefer AA format lights just for convenience and practicality as I can find batteries anywhere if I need them.

I actually carry 6 lights when working as a minimum plus a few headlamps on top of that,mostly AA lights,ZL,Fenix,ET but I also carry 2- 123 and ,2- AAA lights too.

Most used are ZL SC52 and Fenix LD12 but I love my HDS as well.
    At night I use a SF Titan T1A as it is so adjustable and using the absolute lowest visible level that it offers I have not yet changed a battery in it for almost 2 years......really!

I love them all and use them all.

dmattaponi and rkazooti like this.
  13. Adam Ng

Adam Ng Loaded Pockets

Surefire LX2 bedside.
    Surefire Fury P2X in bag
    Surefire 6PX emergencies back up kit.
    Thrunite T20 and Maratac AAA Rev 3 rotating in pocket depend on needs of the day.

dmattaponi and rkazooti like this.
  14. rkazooti

rkazooti Loaded Pockets

EZDog, curious what your hot light is? The one you don't use.

15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Its an Oveready Copper Triple on a SF body,brighter than 1000 fiery suns give or take a few Suns.

Its mostly for when I am Camping and someone wants to brag about a light.

aicolainen, rkazooti and dmattaponi like this.
  16. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

the hot light must be this one:

google: "xkcd flashlights"

xkcd 1603

(forum did not like a direct link to a free, intelligent and fun comic page--hmm)

Last edited by flux, Feb 11, 2016
  17. ty_higg

ty_higg Loaded Pockets

Mh daily carry switches between an Olight M10 Maverick and a Fenix TAC PD35. I prefer the Fenix due to the outdoor mode having a very good range of lumens for just about anything I'll ever need a light to do.

My bedside light/gun light is a Surefire G2X Pro. I will purchase a Thyrim attachment for it in the near future to make it easier for weapon manipulations with a light.

I also have a couple cheap lights that Iv accumulated over the years that are just stashed in random places if for some reason I don't have one of my carry lights on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmattaponi likes this.
  18. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Zebra light.... work
    HDS.....off work.
    Prometheus...... outdoors
    Hound dog..... Love the throw but gets used the least... lives in a sock.

[​IMG]mumbo lights 2 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Melders, Nick4305, 0880 and 2 others like this.
  19. hibby

hibby Loaded Pockets

Coast a25r.
    Carried all the time. For peering into dark bits of cars. Lighting up my storage yard and other general light up duties.

Energizer headlamp.
    High low and red settings. As well as adjustable aim.
    This is used while loading cars on the tow truck at night. Mostly for tightening straps and attatching the winch. Occasionaly the red setting is used at night when I am driving and dangeroudly trying to check a map or address.

Various hand lamps. (I think Americans call them Drop Lights).
    Some of these have some sort of magnet or hook so the can light a work area handd free.

Always looking to upgrade what i have or give myself a better option.

dmattaponi likes this.
  20. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hrm. I have a handful of lights in wrapping still, mostly because I like the lights and found them on sale to keep as backups.

Otherwise, I don't spend money on high-end shelf queens. I have some expensive combinations, to be sure, like a Surefire E2E and a Malkoff Scout T head. Various permutations of Surefire hosts and Malkoff drop-ins. A couple of Fenix lights, a Surefire E1L. I tend to grab what's nearby, based on my anticipated need.

twin63 and dmattaponi like this.