1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Useless peice of junk in my opinion.....

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by knifeguy, May 4, 2009.

1. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

I've never had any luck getting sparks with SS, ie. SAK & Leatherman's. Now a hacksaw blade- yeeeeeeeeeeeeha! Maybe the carbon content? :shrug:

2. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

That's strange... Have you tried using the back of the wood saw, or the awl on Alox SAKs? They work better than the provided strikers that normally come with firesteels IMO. Re OP, I don't have a SAK with a corkscrew, but could see how it can be useful to some. I don't normally drink wine. SAK bottle opener is good enough for the beers that I get. But yeah, I would use the SAK as the striker, so to replace a spot in the SAK with a chunk of firesteel is a bit useless to me. Firesteel fob, on the other hand... I have to look into that a bit more.

3. Stelth

Stelth Banned

I used to think corkscrews were worthless...until I started drinking wine. Also, corkscrews on SAKs are good for getting knots out of shoelaces. You just twist the tip of the corkscrew into the knot a few spirals and then you can pull the knot out by pulling on the knife.

4. mercurial

mercurial Empty Pockets

My dearly departed godfather found himself traveling in Spain, I think on a train, without a corkscrew, and said, "Man, I'm not going to let that happen again." And while I proudly own the SAK he bought to rectify that problem, I usually carry a Juice -- with a corkscrew.

Now, this eyeglass screwdriver thing intrigues me, I can't wait to get a couple of those. And I'm also going to try the corkscrew out on shoelace knots! Thanks guys!

mercurial

5. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

It must be the angle you are striking at. I've got an old SAK that I've put through the ringer. It's a "Modeler" model I bought in 1985. I use the small blade to use as a striker sometimes. I've used it on Firesteels, an Aurora Fire Starter and a Going Gear misch metal ferro rod. No problems getting plenty of spark. Granted, it dulls the blade, but that is why I used the small blade. That and better leverage.

Parawolfe

6. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Are you using the sharp side of the blade? I can get that to work, but you're right, it dulls the blade. I meant I have a hard time using the back (dull) side of the stainless blades to spark. I hold the hacksaw blade 90 degrees to the ferro rod and get a shower of sparks. I'll do some "experiments" tomorrow with the angle of attack...

7. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

Can you say H-I-J-A-C-K?!?

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

mercurial,

I think that the eyeglasses screwdriver for an SAK will also fit the corkscrew of the Juice. I'm not certain, but I think I've seen someone psot that setup on here.

9. bawb

bawb Empty Pockets

i only buy the ones without the corkscrew

10. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

Correct

Check Ebay. I think I got 3 of them shipped for like $7

11. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

sorry. CORKSCREWS RULE!!!! :roof: :woohoo: :hug:

12. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

A ferro rod would wear down over time, there are plenty of people who have had SAK's for about 20 years (+ - lots). How is a firesteel going to look then. I agree about the corkscrew though, I would rather have the Phillips or an awl.

13. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

You can buy replacement parts from Vic. They sell all types of accessories, like the toothpicks, tweezers, scissor springs etc. Why not a replacement ferro rod?

Parawolfe

14. ChargeTTi

ChargeTTi Empty Pockets

Fair point, but toothpicks tweezers and scisor springs can be replaced easily. You can't just replace one of the blades that easy. I suppose some sort of holder for the rod would be feasible but it seems to be over complicating the whole thing.

To each his own. :)

15. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

The whole idea of Vic replacing the corkscrew with a ferro rod isn't probably going to happen in the first place. But while some of us are "pretending" we might as well think of the engineers at Vic coming up with an easy way to replace a piece of the knife that surely would become degraded over time. I'm sure if they wanted to do it, it wouldn't be a problem for a company that created such a well engineered knife to begin with. ;D

Parawolfe

16. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

17. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

Find ferro rod that fits in the corkscrew and is retained when its closed = best of both worlds.

Ive seen someone mod one where he drilled out the centre of the corkscrew slightly to make one fit. Ive no real knowledge of ferro rods and the blank sizes you can find, but thats the way id go down.

18. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I envision the Ferro rod being about the same diameter of the Phillips driver and two inches long. It would probably work best on the SAK Lockblade models because they are longer knifes (111mm). The rod could be married to a connector that was threaded on the end so it could be screwed on or off the knife for replacement or to be used. When not being used it would fold up along the bottom like the corkscrew. Just an idea. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm starting to obsess about this. :idiot2:

Parawolfe

19. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

RyanMalpiede, I think you would be someone who could make this happen! You do some cool work. The hole down the center of the corkscrew isnt big enough to fit a ferro rod down, and drilling it out would probably weaken it to much to be used.

20. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Hey, ya know what I was just thinking? You know the little flints they make for Zippo Lighters? Uh huh, I bet they would fit right in the corkscrew if you slipped them into the right size "sheath", like maybe heavy guage electrical wire insulation? Or maybe you could attach some to the toothpick, carve out a little trough in the length of the plastic?

Granted, might be hard to use, but if they were glued in stong enough, I bet you could get a spark.