1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Useless peice of junk in my opinion.....

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by knifeguy, May 4, 2009.

1. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

I think corkscrews on SAK's are a dumb idea, as I dont think it belongs on a knife. So I came up with an interesting idea to replace it. A firesteel rod (like the ones from light my fire brand fire starters) would fit nicely where the corkscrew is normally placed. And for a scraper, the toothpick could be replaced with a longer metal scraper. I dont have the skills or machinery to do this, I just wanted to throw the idea out. So what do you guys think? :popcorn:

2. alphazulu

alphazulu Loaded Pockets

:iagree:
    great idea!! I don't EDC wine bottles, so why do I need a corkscrew??? :laugh:

3. hardcider75

hardcider75 Loaded Pockets

To each is own....

I have used my SAK corkscrew to open wine bottles at gatherings.

As a matter of fact, one of the big deciding factors on the particular model I carry was the corkscrew.

4. bpa

bpa Loaded Pockets

In addition to its traditional use, the corkscrew is a great way to hold the little helical glasses screwdriver.

5. Rpuppet
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rpuppet Loaded Pockets

The corkscrew on my SAK and Multitool has saved the day on more than one occasion. It is a feature that I appreciate and look for when making a new purchase.

6. Rocket Jones

Rocket Jones Empty Pockets

I'm just the opposite. One of my selection criteria when buying my SAK was that it NOT have a corkscrew. To each his own.

7. Mr. Henk

Mr. Henk Empty Pockets

Together with the mini screwdriver the corkscrew is actually nice to have IMO. I use my corkscrew and screwdriver a lot more than a firesteel, I see no reason why I would need a firesteel on a regular basis.

8. davkt

davkt Loaded Pockets

Now corkscrew and fire steel sounds a good idea to me!

9. GQGeek81

GQGeek81 Loaded Pockets

While I have used the one on my Juice Pro to open wine and some beers like lambics I too had wondered what else it could be used for. I had wondered for a while if it would hold the glasses screwdriver you see on some SAK's and then I saw a picture on Stormdrane's blog that had a Juice with just such a thing

Turns out you can get the screwdrivers for a few bucks on Ebay

I think you might be able to get a ferro rode in place of the corkscrew but I think something the size of the toothpick or tweezers would be a pain to scrape with (literally)

I'd suggest it be built just like the screwdrivers mentioned there it stores inside the corkscrew (it would end up rather thin then though) and you can just use anything on the knife to scrape with then.

10. RobertRogers

RobertRogers Empty Pockets

Well, though you may not use a firesteel on a regualar basis, when you need it you NEED it!

11. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I like the idea myself. Vic makes so many styles of knives they could make a few with a firesteel on them. Send them a recommendation. If they produce it, maybe you'll get a free knife. :winkwink: Don't hold your breath though, :)

Parawolfe

12. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

That's why I keep one in my wallet!

13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

What do I think?! :mob: HERESY! :mob:

Seriously, though, I like the corkscrew and find the eyeglasses screwdriver that you can store therein to be more useful than the right-angle Phillips head that some models include in that location.

If you use a fob-style lanyard on your SAK, you could get one of the Fire Fobs from the Lanyard Zone. They have a small ferro rod enclosed in the paracord fob.

Another option would be to just hang something like the BSA HotSpark on the split ring on the SAK.

14. nbmaine2007

nbmaine2007 Loaded Pockets

I've got no problem with your opinion on a corkscrew if it's not for you, although you took a worthless EDC tool (in your opinion) and replaced it with an equally useless one. What would you need to EDC a firesteel for? I can see wanting one for hiking, hunting, fishing, or if you had a job where you may be out in the woods (or maybe even traveling in remote areas) but the vast majority of us work and live in urban environments.

And I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm for carrying WHATEVER you want to. My bag is fully loaded, with a lot of stuff I probaby don't need. But your argument is kind of flawed IMHO. I'm not a wine drinker, yet I've had to use my SAK once or twice to open a bottle for someone. I've never needed to start a fire where my bic lighter doesn't do the trick.

15. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

I don't think it has to be an "all or nothing" situation. Vic makes sooooooo many different models that those that are geared toward hiking/outdoors could have a firesteel replace the corkscrew. Those models geared toward urban carry could still retain the corkscrew. I think the firesteel is a great idea. Maybe replace the tweezers or toothpick with a striker on the models with a firesteel. Obviously it would have to be wider than the tweezer or toothpick. :highfive:

Parawolfe

16. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

I ALWAYS carry a small flint rod, fauxton & spycapsule of vaseline/cotton on the split ring of my SAK, but I must admit Ive NEVER used the corkscrew & I dont care for wine.

I LURVE beer, though!!! ;D

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you have an SAK such as the Camper, the back of the wood saw makes an excellent striker.

18. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry if what I said came out in the wrong way, I understand if you like the corkscrew, to each his own like has been said. I was in a rush when I was typing it. If your a wine drinker i see the use in it. I just always thought some other tool might be a better replacement.

19. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

See this link for an actual mod as proposed by OP, though it gets rid of the Phillips driver instead of the corkscrew.

20. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

Yeah, I've used the small blade on an SAK many times as a striker and it works well. But, if the flint rod is attached like the corkscrew then it would be impossible to use any of the other connected tools as a striker. Hence the reason I mentioned using something in place of the tweezers or toothpick. Maybe something along the lines of the blade in the SwissCard expect a striker not a blade.

Parawolfe