1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

USB to C

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by faca, Apr 8, 2020.

1. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

Hi I'm looking for a charging and syc cable for my phone.
    I want USB to C and length no longer than 10cm.
    I'd like to buy no pleged in Kickstarter or Indigo.
    Regards

Enviado desde mi Mi 9 SE mediante Tapatalk

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Your post does not make sense to me?
    Are you having trouble finding a common cable?
    I have no idea what the 3rd line means at all?

I would try to help if I understood what you are asking exactly.

3. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

4. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

5. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

Hi I try to explain myself. I'm looking for something to carry in my pocket organizer like it'd be a pocket knife or pen, so I need something with this kind shape or rigidity, I put a picture of Nomad but this one doesn't have C connector option.[​IMG]

WillAdams and Nick4305 like this.
  6. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

so, yes, USB-A

7. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I just figured that he could use one of the stubby adapters along with a stubby USB-A Male to Male to get something small enough either together or 1/2 sized when apart in pocket?

I have a Lightning cable that is that short and the halves attach to each other so it can stay on a key ring but I have not seen that one in USB-C so far although I have never searched for one either.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. dischu

dischu Loaded Pockets

My phone is with USB C but I still have a lot of devices using micro USB like headphones, power banks, flashlights, bluetooth speakers or my daugthers MP3 player. So I bought a very small adapter USB C (external) to micro USB (internal).

[​IMG]

This adapter is clipped to a short USB A to micro USB cable (This is a no-name cable. Normally I use cables from Anker).

[​IMG]

So I can charge nearly all devices (we donĀ“t use iPhones or any other Apple devices).
    Today I would buy the other way around: Short USB A to USB C cable and an adapter USB C (internal) to micro USB (external).

Last edited by dischu, Apr 10, 2020
    #10 dischu, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  10. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

This one of my thinking to buy an adapter from micro to c

11. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I will note that the inexpensive Bytech USB A--C adapter I was carrying for a while turned out to be quite fragile --- I lifted my tablet up to take a photo and when I reached the limit of the cable the adapter gave way (which was better than the cord or tablet port).

I've got a replacement on order, but currently using an Insignia USB A--C adapter which I picked up at Best Buy which is even shorter than the OP's cable and would just need a USB A gender changer (which it turns out I have one from an ancient set of adapters --- guess it's going into the kit if it fits).

I would recommend swapping the cable/connector setup if possible --- USB C has more specific and higher voltage requirements, so using the Micro B cable probably reduces current and slows charging.

echo victor likes this.
  12. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

13. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Nice to see it worked out for you.

I very rarely need to charge on the go, so these kind of things hasn't been a big priority for me.
    A few years ago I got a power bank as part of the prize for winning a shooting contest. Yeah, I was late to the show, but thats how I got my first and only power bank. Never bought one for my self, and might still have been without one if this one wasn't given to me. That's kind of weird seeing how widespread they are now.
    Anyhow, when I already had it, I realized it was better to utilize it as part of my EDC rather than stove it away and not have it when I might need it.
    It came in a pouch that was just big enough that I could squeeze in one of the many 5W Apple chargers I had laying around.
    I had a short lightning cable that was leftover from a charging stand I put together for the kitchen, an el cheapo adapter keeper that I just threw in on an amazon order way back, a micro USB cable I bought together with a Logitech iPad keybord that I had to get while on a summer holiday when I suddenly was requested to do some work on a project (i.e. sponsored by the IT department).

The result of this mishmash of very low cost parts that came together without any overlaying plan, was a very handy and capable package that has proven to become one of the cornerstones of my EDC. Wherever I need to go, unless I bring computers, DSLRs etc., I can just bring this and know that my most basic charging capability is taken care of.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normally it resides in my EDC backpack with the cable ends sticking out and the bag tied closed to protect the connectors.
    If, by any chance, I run out of power on one of my devices, I just throw it in the backpack for a while.
    If I need to refuel the power bank or charge any other device from a wall outlet, I just use the charger and "borrow" the required cable from the power bank. Easy peasy..

Last edited by aicolainen, Apr 14, 2020
    #14 aicolainen, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

My point is to carry something in case of emergency my phone die.
    I hope not to use it

15. Onepoint

Onepoint Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for something similar:

1. a usb-c to lightning cable length between 10cm and 15cm (4 inches to 6 inches)

2 a usb-c to micro usb cable length also between 10cm and 15cm (4 inches to 6 inches).

Sent from an iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Honestly, this is one of the cases where I just buy the cheapest options available on Amazon or eBay...

I have found that in general the more expensive USB cables I have bought over the years have never really lasted any longer than the cheap ones, so now I just stick with grabbing a few reasonably cheap ones of appropriate length/construction (I will admit the braided cables do feel much nicer than the generic plastic finish). The ones I am using at the moment are ~100mm length micro-B and C cables from eBay that have worked perfectly and lasted me well.

The important thing I have found is to take care of the cables - when you see people with dead, fraying cables, it is almost always the result of poor treatment - wrapping them up tightly, bending the jacks around by forcing them into pockets where the cable gets bent 180 degrees right at the jack and other poor treatment.
    The smaller cables I have I bought because they will slip into the cases for the battery packs I have without having to be folded up tightly, and longer ones I keep more loosely coiled and I can't remember ever having problems - certainly they are much more likely to be 'borrowed' or lost before they wear out, which seems unheard of given how many lightning cables some friends seem to burn through...
    The same goes for headphones too, treat the cables nicely and they will last, fold them up and mistreat them and even the high end ones are going to fail relatively quickly.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

Always ends of wires have the most wear......

18. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Most often if the user pulls on the cables instead of grasping the actual connector. I used to manufacture electronics....

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

19. faca

faca Loaded Pockets

Today arrived.
    Item as expected we will see how it ages.[​IMG][​IMG]

rdisom likes this.