1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

USB Rechargable Keychain Flashlight Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by thegrouch314, Apr 8, 2021.

1. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for a keychain flashlight for general EDC purposes. I'd like it to be USB rechargeable and to be as small as possible.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    I'll be purchasing online but I'd prefer a UK based store if possible

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :broke:
    [ ] $1-15
    [ ] $15-30
    [ ] $40-60

4) Format:
    PART A
    [ ] I want a flashlight..

PART B
    Length:
    [ ] 1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)

PART C
    Width:
    [ ] Doesn't matter.

PART D
    Weight:
    [ ] Very light, can't tell it's there.
    [ ] Light, no heavier than a few keys or a small car remote.
    [ ] Medium light, about the weight of a AAA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [ ] Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    [ ] I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

7) How much light do you want?
    [ ] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: .

Throw (distance)----------------------|-----X-----------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime:
    [ ] 240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

10) Durability:
    [ ] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

11) Switch Type:
    [ ] I don't care.

12) Switch Location:
    [ ] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [ ] A simple on-off is fine for me.

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
    [ ] I don't care.

chaosmagnet likes this.
  2. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Nitecore TIP and Nitecore TIP SE, and you can buy them in the UK (https://www.nitecore.co.uk/). Please note I have zero affiliation with Nitecore, this store, or any seller of flashlights.

Things I like about these:
    • Not terribly expensive
    • USB-rechargeable
    • One-touch access to maximum output
    • One-touch access to minimum output
    • Good (for me) mode spacing
    • Reasonably rugged
    • Lightweight
    • Can use clip to cover the buttons, or not, your choice

3. tera tike

tera tike Loaded Pockets

The Nitecore TINI2 fits your requirement and it is USB-C.

Replaced my Photon Freedom that I carried for 10 years since I wanted/needed a rechargeable light.
    I did convert the Photon to a rechargeable light using LIR-2032 battery but the charger died killing a battery.
    So the upgrade to a light that is rechargeable with a USB-C connector and variable output.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I am looking to walk on dark paths at night there is no way I am buying a light with the battery sealed inside.
    I want a light that I can slide a new battery in as needed so that I can keep walking in the dark when the initial battery dies on the trail,which it will surely do at some time.

There are plenty of AA and AAA Keychain lights that will fit this description and it just seems a more versatile choice to me.

If you do just want the convenience of the Nitecore sealed keychain lights then I would get one that has the OLED display on it that shows battery life remaining at any time in actual numbers representing runtime.

That way you would be most likely to have a fully charged light with you and know the runtime left too.

Wishoot, variable and mash4077 like this.
  5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I carry the Lumintop AAA Tool as a keychain and watch pocket flashlight.

I use a USB recharger and NiMH cells but there are cells that can be charged directly. It's not everyone's ideal solution but it does come in handy when you need a couple of spare AAA batteries in an emergency.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

#5 adnj, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    variable likes this.
  6. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I don’t know of any keychain light that is that small and will put out 40 lumens for four to six hours. For the small type of light you have in mind, I also can recommend the Nitecore TIP SE. It isn’t much bigger than the TINI but has significantly longer runtimes that come closer to your desired specifications. Well-designed and built light.

You might want to also look at the Fenix E01 V2. It is about the size of the TIP, has good mode choices, and good runtimes at each output. The twisty switch will not likely activate the light accidentally. I just bought a few of these, as they are a great value. I bought Streamlight Microstream pocket clips to use on them.

I have read that many people like the Tool AAA, although I don’t own one of those.

Last edited by NorthernHarrier, Apr 16, 2021
    #6 NorthernHarrier, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

Tool AAA. I have owned them for years and can't seem to remember ever running down a NiMH battery prior to recharge.

From the website:

5 lm (60 Hours)
    32 lm (4 Hours)
    110 lm (30 Minutes)

https://www.lumintoponline.com/lumintop-tool-aaa-110-lumensl-mini-kychain-edc-aaa-flashlight-p1151284.html

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

8. SOS24

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

A 10180 keychain light (like the MecArmy or JetBeam ones) would probably meet your needs. They are small, twist on/off, 2 brightness levels with ~110 being the high and micro usb rechargeable.

If wanting brighter with more functions, then look at the different Rovyvon Auroras or Nitecore Tiki/Tip/Tini

#8 SOS24, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    jag-engr likes this.
  9. HIVic16

HIVic16 Empty Pockets

I bought my wife the Fenix E03R recently and she loves it. Its USB chargeable and has 4 white-light modes, a red-light mode (which is great if you don't want to mess up your night vision) and a red-light flash mode.

10. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Based on personal experience, I would recommend the RovyVon Aurora series keychain lights. I have an A1x, an A5x, and an A3 Pro. Of those, the A1x has the best main beam - its optic creates a nicer beam than the reflectors on the other two. However, the A5x is handy due to the additional lights on the side. I don't have one, but I suspect that the A8x UV would offer the best set of features.

Another forum member, @SOS24, recommends the similar Astrolux K2 (aka Mateminco CSF-04) lights (here).

Last edited by jag-engr, Oct 18, 2021
    #10 jag-engr, Oct 13, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    JIM and SOS24 like this.
  11. Barabbas

Barabbas Empty Pockets

Check out the Lumintop EDC PIMI. Have been carrying one on my keychain for a few months and am pretty impressed.

Pro's
    Super small
    Untwist to turn on, prevents unintentional activation
    Bright

Con's
    Needs a special charging cap or charger.

12. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Strongly seconded. I've been using a Titanium A4x for several years, before that I had one of the translucent plastic models (A5?). It's an awesome light.

jag-engr likes this.
  13. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pretty much any light can be USB rechargeable.

Beta magnetic -Full flood. Full blast. Crappy finish. Awesome Cri.

I wind up sticking lights like this in my mouth (eeeww) so I can use both hands. Easily detaches and weighs nothing.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

jag-engr likes this.
  14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

@Mumbojumboo, as much as you like Zebralights, I really think that you'd like the RovyVon lights (and lights of similar style). They are amazing. I typically EDC the A5x (though I'd actually recommend the A8x, as I explained above) and I can use it as a flashlight of a "COB light" by activating the warm-tinted side LEDs. It has a decent clip which allows me to attach it to a hat or shirt for a task light.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Funny you say this. Yesterday, I recommended one to any Engineer that was headed to Poland to inspect a factory. No, I don't own one, I told him but they come highly recomended from a reliable source.

I ordered the a8x nichia this morning. Thank you sir.

16. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

I've had an Aurora A8 for about 2 years now. Still working fine. Recharges quickly. The newer version is much better, as the battery went from 130 mAh to 330 mAh. But if you don't need colored blinkies, no point in getting that when you can get the cheaper A5.

I recently picked up a newer RovyVon Aurora A5 when they had their anniversary sale ($22). It has about a 45 minutes runtime on high, 66 hour runtime on low. Fully recharges in 90 minutes. GITD polycarbonate body that's very tough. You can tether it with a leash or use a provided clip.

Ideally though, for any small primary EDC flashlight, you want a removable battery cell. This is in case your cell runs down, you can swap in another easily. Lumintop Ti3 v2 is an AAA flashlight. Nice reflector. Good beam distance. VERY usable 3 modes. It's probably the best, most inexpensive yet well made AAA flashlight around. I bought two for $6 each when they were on a steep discount. But even for $12 (about the usual going rate) they're worth it.

Btw, if you want even smaller, Sofirn makes the SC01 which has 2 modes, micro USB recharging, AND runs on a 10180 cell that can be replaced if need be. So easy to toss one of those in a coin pocket. You don't even feel it. Keychain wise, it's a bit heavy being made fully out of stainless steel. I picked up one of those for $12 when Sofirn had a big sale. I'd say it's worth $20, given the solid construction.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I don't care for the flashing ones (especially the red and blue flashing), but I do appreciate the warm-tinted COB-style lights and the UV light. the UV is not going to help you hunt for scorpions, but it is enough to examine currency or other up-close tasks.

That depends. Personally, I usually have a more serious flashlight nearby and none of my EDC tasks are critical tasks. I've been carrying the RovyVon for more than 6 months and have only once found it to be dead when I needed it. Granted, most of my use is intermittent and the light will flash a red warning when it is getting low.

I have the Klarus Mini One (twisty), but it feels too fiddly to me. For a light that size, there is just not enough finger real estate to use as a twisty, IMO. YMMV.

xevious and Mumbojumboo like this.
  18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I hope you're not citing me - that could get you in trouble!

I'm a little jealous - I only have the Cree versions. I can't complain, though, since I got them all 50-60% off.

Did you get the one with UV? You will really be impressed with how bright the tiny things are.

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  19. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Yes on the UV. It's back ordered till the end of November. No one person can know it all but yeah, you're a great resource man. We all appreciate it!!

20. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I find the red/blue flashers of the A8 to be unusable for my needs. Flashing red is just fine, meaning it would make a great warning indicator if I got caught cycling after dusk, or I needed to be by the side of the road for an extended period. The yellow flashing is useful. I've used it boating around dusk, just to make sure other boaters could see me, and to avoid collisions with buoys. Flashers are also great for being a locator beacon when someone is trying to find you in a crowd. ;)

True. The mini EDC is great as a convenient backup, but I almost always have a larger EDC on me. Most of the time, 3 lights -- keychain, small AAA EDC hooked to my pocket, then a larger AA, 18350, or 18650 in another pocket.

You'd be surprised by the SC01. Not fiddly at all. Very nice firm fluid twist motion. No flicker either, as I find tends to happen on the Olight i1R EOS.

jag-engr likes this.