1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

USB-C headphone jack issues

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Aruetii, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Aruetii

Aruetii Empty Pockets

So...I have a phone with a USB-C headphones/charging port and the audio was more than fine given it's quite affordable.However,just today I seem to be getting some issues(as with all things in life,it seems).The audio got crackly with what I'm quite sure was little sparks or a short-circuit happening somewhere, the normal press-to-pause button ceased to work,and the audio level sometimes automatically jumps to max or zero when I plug it in.They worked perfectly fine yesterday and I did practically nothing with them today,except perhaps get them a little wet but they're supposed to be water-resistant to some degree.After a brief check,the only anomaly I found was that four of the copper contacts in an inner corner of the USB-C plug seemed to have been pressed down(no break marks),though I wouldn't rule out the potential of it being how it originally was (never paid much attention cataloguing the inside of the audio jack).

So for now at least I'm kinda stuck wondering what happened to it and hoping at least some of the issues will resolve themselves before I worsen them.

Has anybody has similar problems,and if so,how do you deal with it?I know I should consider getting some replacement,but these are still new and seem to be resolving the issues pretty decently by themselves(albeit causing me minor ear damage,most likely).

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Get new parts before you blow your ears out,really.

USB to Analog Audio is a pretty complicated process and things wear that are connected and disconnected a lot which is usually the case with things plugged into the universal port of a phone.

Nothing is made these days to last and since you went through all of this but left us without a single meaningful detail about what you are actually referring to how can we possibly help?

Tesla likes this.
  3. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

When I read his post, I was waiting for him to mention the phone model and the earbuds. Some cheap Androids ship with cheap accessories.

I have been using 5 year old Samsung earbuds with audio jack without any issues for Teams, Zoom and Skype meetings & calls. My Apple charging cord cracked near the lightning connector and had to be replaced.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah thats what I was trying to get across as well.

garza likes this.
  5. Aruetii

Aruetii Empty Pockets

Ah,apologies. The phone is a BV9600E from Blackview. Around two hundred bucks,not cheap per say but definitely not what one'd consider high-end. The earphones just came with it.B doesn't seem to sell them separately.

The audio level stopped fluctuating soon after so I don't expect it to try and deafen me as of yet. For now,I'm simply curious as to what exactly happened. As mentioned up top,it could just be water damage as the phone itself was IP68 rated and I haven't been particularly gentle with it,but the earphones were probably not.

Regardless,buying replacements is probably the most sensible thing to do considering my lack of experience in gutting and reassembling small electronics.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Its broken and likely nothing to be serviced inside at all anyway.
    It seems you might not understand what is in there in the first place but the number of electrical contacts and the microscopic size make it pretty easy to accept the liklihood of problems arising there.

Tesla and kikaida like this.
  7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I think it would be easier to just use a pair of bluetooth earbuds since they're so cheap nowadays. Definitely not worth the effort or expense to try and fix.

garza and Moshe ben David like this.
  8. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

I would second going Bluetooth at this point. Completely wireless is more convenient than I expected.

I got a pair of Samsung Buds+ not too long ago and got 12 hours on them before having to charge them. I listen at low to medium volume, Samsung rates them at 11 hours.

kikaida likes this.