1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Urban footwear

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Bag Boy, Feb 25, 2009.

1. secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy Empty Pockets

Although I'm not a fan of Blackhawk, I really like their Warrior wear Light desert assault boot for urban use. They are light, feature Vibram soles, come in a dark khaki/coyote brown color, and look very benign(read that civilian) under a pair of jeans. They also come in wide sizes for those that have flintstone feet like me.

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Loaded Pockets

3. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

Keen - Bronx model.

4. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

Thank you all for your responses. The vast knowledge of EDCF members and their willingness to share it never fails to astound me; it extends way beyond bags and what to carry in them.

Last week I purchased a pair of Merril Chameleon evo-mid gortex. After about ten miles of concrete and pavement, followed by a six mile hike up a dry stream bed (river rock, boulders anddead wood) my feet felt great. Awsome spring forward step, cushy heal, and grippy soles were great. Not to mention the breathable gortex kept my feet cool, even in the southwest desert, where I live.

Thanks again to all,

Bag Boy

5. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Cool. Now that you've done the work for me, I'm off to get some boots! :p

6. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Its hard to beat Merrills Moab's for comfort and price. The 5.10 prodigys are very nice to at a reasonable price.

7. Jedi Knife

Jedi Knife Loaded Pockets

I'm glad you like the Merrells. The ones I have had for the past 4 years have held up well (forgot the name) but the stiff soles drive me crazy. I can't stand the way they clomp around on solid surfaces. I'd recommend some Asics trail runners (Gel Trabuco) or some New Balance trail runners- they work best for me, and that's assuming you are not going to be carrying heavy packs (20 pounds or more).

8. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

True, young Jedi, the soles are stiff, but this is for a good reason. Stiff soles prevent foot fatigue while walking on uneven surfaces and provide extra support while carrying heavier loads. Your Merell's are propably a back packing style shoe/boot. If you like Merrell's quality but don't like a stiff sole, next time try a walking or climbing shoe with a more flexible sole. I've found this is true for Merrell and most outdoor geared shoe makers.

9. ecom

ecom Empty Pockets

No, Nevados has nothing to do with Merrell. They may be copy cats in style and features.

Merrell is part of Wolverine World Wide and these are the brands they market:
    http://www.wolverineworldwide.com/brands.asp

10. TexasGun

TexasGun Empty Pockets

Lowa Seeker GTX on the urban jungle.
    I have had some Lowa backpacking boots last for years up on some rough mountains, these are some great boots.
    These Seekers are like a patrol boot with street friendly all terrain tread by of course vibram.
    The soles are as sticky as the blackhawk desert warrior boots but the tread last 10 times longer.
    I had these almost a year of heavy pavement use and they still have 90% of the tread still left.
    Gor-Tex lined. Leather with breathable mesh upper. I have them broke in and softened up but they still maintain a stiffness and good ankle support.
    I can't say enough about Lowas, get some!

11. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

Just a note, but the Merrell's use a vibrum sole as well, and like TexasGun said, they are VERY sticky! I could almost walk up the side of a building.

12. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I've been a Merrell wearer for years but recently switched to Keens. I have their Newport sandals and low Voyageurs and love them. Targhee boots, Oregon boots, Lisbons and Shellrocks are on the list now too. I have converted.

What I like about Keens are they are comfortable like my Merrells but have a roomier toe-box, better toe protection a bit more supportive and actually stay comfortable for longer periods of wear. Some have complained about the tread wear of Keens but I really don't see that as an issue. They last pretty much as long as my Merrells.

13. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I own Danner and Merrell but I prefer Tevas with the x-lace set-up. I do alot of walking in cities in the tropics, too. You can't beat Tevas for moisture management.

14. chicken0207

chicken0207 Loaded Pockets

I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots with a gortex liner. I love them they are amazing in the woods or school and i would suggest them any day.

Chicken0207

15. ScarletPimpernel

ScarletPimpernel Loaded Pockets

Bought a pair of Merrell Chameleon ISO shoes yesterday, and wore them today. Excellent.

16. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I wear Birkenstock Alpro G500's around town, but I have fussy feet. I also have a pair of Birkenstock Zurichs. I also recommed Chaco Z/1's. I have some Merrell hiking boots that I use for wandering around in less urban places. Merrell shoes don't support my feet the way Birkenstocks and Chacos do, so I put Superfeet insoles in them.

17. kanis mesomelas

kanis mesomelas Loaded Pockets

wrapped around my feet;

[​IMG]

german army boots (better than the Dutch ones)
    not very heavy, cheap (45,- euro's)
    I wear them almost every day.
    and I love em.

18. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

what about these?

Nike SFB Military. Lightest Tactical boot ever (to date)
    clicky

19. nezza1694

nezza1694 BST/Marketplace ban

Have a look at Hi-Tech boots i own about 4 pairs off different kinds, my fave are Brown Lightweights!

20. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

I rock in my vibram five fingers. :cool: mostly in late spring/summer/early autumn. Anyone else use these? great EDC and they strenghen your foot and lower leg/foot muscles, plus they are super comfortable. be prepared for tonnes of gawkers and laughs though people think you're :crazy2: