1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Urban footwear

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Bag Boy, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

Any suggestions on a good urban hiking shoe/boot that isn't too heavy?

2. Detox

Detox Loaded Pockets

I swear by my merrell stuff. I've owned 3 pairs to date and my third is currently this pair
    http://www.merrell.com/US/Default.aspx?s_kwcid=merrell|901510265#store/M/M-F/15115M-29086/
    Not too heavy, gore tex xcr, very comfortable, and pretty tough not to mention stylish.

3. Devil505

Devil505 Empty Pockets

4. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

Merrell Chameleon Trek Gore-Tex. Not too "sporty" and almost dressy enough to pass for business casual. I love mine and highly recommend them for times when the more colorful Merrell shoes may be inappropriate.

Bucky

5. Jambo

Jambo Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Merrell here, I usually go for the more subdued colours in the cross/hiking sort of trainery things for urban wear. I find them durable and comfortable.

6. Alter Rostig

Alter Rostig Loaded Pockets

The Ecco track series is comfortable and holds up well. Sometimes you can get a deal on them with fleabay.
    Jack

7. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I am a big fan of Merrell & Ecco. I would also check out Keen. Kind of odd looking toe, but really comfy.

8. Fighthard

Fighthard Empty Pockets

Merrell's are my shoe of choice. I am typically very hard on shoes and boots and they have held up and remain comfortable in a variety of conditions.

They are my EDW shoe. I have two pairs of the Outlander, great shoe.

Asolo makes a great boot, but a little heavy for summer and urban street wear.

9. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I've had a pair of waterproof Rockport oxfords for around 10 years now, they've held up very well to the use and abuse I've put them through, and still look good enough to wear with khakis and a button down shirt when I want to dress up a little. Very durable and comfortable, they are my 4th pair of Rockports in the past 15-20 years and I've been very happy with them.

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Urban Hiking? What's that?

For when I am out hiking I really like Merrell shoes, as other posters have mentioned.

But when I am in the city or for just day to day use I have found nothing more comfortable than the Nike Presto line of shoes. They have soft fabric on top making the shoe more like a sock with soles and they are no problem to run in. They are lightweight and very breathable, which in my opinion makes them ideal for EDW. My favorites are the laceless models but those have not been made in a long time. This is what the laced model is like: http://www.nicekicks.com/2009/01/nike-air-presto-2009-colorways/

11. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

Check Danner,for urban use I like the journeyman. The sole is made for hard surfaces,not a heavy lugged sole like my hiking boots.

12. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

Another vote for Merrell. Good stuff :)

13. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Yet another vote for Merrell!

14. frankinaug

frankinaug Loaded Pockets

Merrell and Ecco's are both great choices. I also have an older pair of Columbia hiking boots that are often used.

15. Synaptic Misfire
    • In Omnia Paratus

Synaptic Misfire Loaded Pockets

I think Merrell is the same company that makes Nevados they have similar features but I digress both are fantastic shoes. I tend to buy mesh trail running shoes for EDW as I live in the swamp and everything sweats here so good ventilation is heaven sent.

16. Mr. kydex

Mr. kydex Loaded Pockets

I like my Merrell Moab Ventilators (with and without gor-tex). wear 'em all the time. (there sure are a lot of merrell fans here, aren't there!)

(BTW, could you (Bag Boy) elaborate on "urban hiking"? :) )

17. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

Sure Kydex,

I've found "cross trainers" to be comfortable, but wear out quickly. I'm looking for a shoe that is lighter than a Hiking boot, but tougher than a cross trainer. It would need to be comfortable for walking long distances on urban surfaces (concrete, pavement). Thanks to everyone who has posted so far. Merrell seems to be the footwear of choice among many of you. Do you think they fit the criteria listed above? Looking foreward to hearing more of everybody's advise and experiences.

Thanks again,

Bag Boy

18. Gorbag

Gorbag Loaded Pockets

Urban hiking-

It's otherwise known as "urban backpacking". You wander around a city/town for the day, go and see the sights (museums, sporting events, big statues of weird looking people, etc.), and usually do it on the cheap (hence the hiking part to it). Walking for long periods of time on paved surfaces can be hard on your feet, but it's fun to experience a city or town in this way, rather than just zooming around in a car and missing out on the local scenery.

19. Bag Boy

Bag Boy Loaded Pockets

Exactly, Gorbag
    :)

20. Bradlee

Bradlee Empty Pockets

Well, just to be different, my vote goes to Columbia or Salomon Shoes. I've only had one pair of Merrell's and while the shoe held up reasonably well, the laces quickly broke. Perhaps it's a fluke experience, but I figure good shoes should come with good laces.