1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Urban Camping EDC Questions.

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by tabler1010, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabler1010

tabler1010 Empty Pockets

I couldn't find a good place to post this but it seems to make the most sense.

I'm going to be "Urban Camping" in the spring. Basically some friends and I are going to meet at a certain point in our count, we will each have $20 and some blankets plus my basic edc (wallet, lighter, flashlight) and then we will spend a week on the streets sleeping where ever we can. We will use the money for food and any other needs. I Am now looking for two main items a good pack and a knife. For the pack, I want something that is big enough for a full size blanket and still have a little more room for other things. I would also like it to not look extremely "tactical" so none or not many mole attachments. It should also be durable and have some ability to keep stuff dry in the rain. I was looking at the Kakadu shown here. and for the knife I am looking for a solid all around beater knife with emergency defense capabilities and still very useful as far as opening packages and cutting rope. Thats what i'm doing, any tips, options, or ideas? Thanks for reading.

2. tabler1010

tabler1010 Empty Pockets

Oh btw I don't want to spend to much money on this stuff is possible I'm thinking a total range 0f $75.

3. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

That sounds like it could be kinda dangerous to me. Someone could rob or kill you while you sleep.

marcclarke likes this.
  4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

A big +1 on that.

Urban camping sounds a lot like Pretending to be Homeless.

Besides probably getting robbed or killed, there are some really twisted sickos out there. Once every handful of years you get a couple of young guys who like to pour lighter-fluid on a down & out homeless person, and then set them on fire.

5. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

Squatting/homeless "camping" doesn't sound like a good idea to me either, but to each his own. I did it out of need back in my senior year of high school for a week. Mom had moved to Florida (was living in New Jersey at the time) and I had three weeks to go in high school. One of my friends parents changed their minds and left me homeless for a week...
    I would say for a backpack try and get a medium or large alice pack surplus. As to the knife I have no idea what your local laws are... if its legal Wal-Mart should have a buck 110 for around 20 dollars.
    Good luck and stay safe.

6. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

Whatever you do, you have to be aware of the fact that you'll effectively act homeless for a week.
    Generally, there are enough thugs who like to beat up people weaker than they are. "Hobo smashing", or whatever the idiots call it in your area nowadays, is a popular pastime among some kids. Be aware of that.
    Also, for every 20 decent, friendly and professional LEOs, there is one power-mad... uh... anus, who will treat you like a wothless piece of feces when you appear to be homeless.

Just a data point. And yes, I think this could be an interesting experience.

And "urban camping" would be a hilarious general euphemism for homelessness :lolhammer:

7. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

For packs I would check out the local Army/Navy store. Granted they will look more tactical but generally you find older gear at great prices that doesn't evoke the same feeling as Alice packs/Maxped/Kifura gear may.

As for the knife I would check you the Mora line of fixed blades they are mostly less the $20 and should handle whatever you can through at them.

Be careful out there when you "camp" the world isn't as rosy as we all might wish.

8. Dizos

Dizos Loaded Pockets

Interesting. Can you explain why you guys want to do this (ie. what experience are you after)? That will help with our recommendations. Safety was the first thing to pop up in my mind too, but I also would be concerned about breaking laws such as loitering etc. and having problems with police.

9. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I've contacted many homeless people on the job and most of them carry a box cutter or other type of weapon for self defense. That should tell you something about how safe they fell and they don't really have anything anyone would want.

10. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

everyone has asked good questions, pointed out good stuff!

I'm posting to follow the thread. Very curious to read what they are "going for" as well.

In the 80's, I traveled all of Western Europe with a backpack every weekend. Sleep wherever, pick a direction and just go - all I had to worry about was to be back for formation Monday AM. But youth hostels were safe (relatively) then, and I was active duty Army which meant a lot of built in advantages...but I don't think I'd try that in todays world.

*oops - Added "Western" because when I was there, there was still a Wall! (where's the old father time smiley :rolleyes:)

11. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

Good luck. Let us know how it goes (take pictures!)
    Honestly, if you can't carry it on your person, there is a good chance you can lose it, so I suggest NO pack.
    As far as a blanket, I suggest something a lot lighter, OR nothing at all- just dress warm (you can break camp a lot quicker that way)

12. chris in mo

chris in mo Loaded Pockets

This reminds me of an article I read some years ago about how there was a new trend in yuppies being weekend hobos on trains. The article went on to spell out how several people had been beaten and robbed by other hobos who immedieately noticed these new comers had items of value along with them.

You may want to rethink this plan of urban camping. You and your friends are about to embark on something for fun that will put you in the mix to compete with people who are literraly doing this same thing to survive. You have far more to lose and they have much to gain by preying on you.

13. Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit EDC Junkie!!!

Please, no offense. but it definitely sounds like a house dog trying to live among the wolf pack. If the actual Homeless population in the area think you are mocking them or making light of their situations it could go very bad for you.

You're basically making sport of a situation that many have no control over. I'm just not seeing this as being a very good idea.

14. kanis mesomelas

kanis mesomelas Loaded Pockets

nice activity

are you going to sleep in a park? or in a empty buildings and sorts?
    you could try to get locked in stores to get a good (safe) night sleep. but do not wander around in the store at night or you will sleep in jail.
    dony bring a huge knife with you but a good sak would be enough. a big shopping bag and a small back pack must be enough.

lots of luck and stay safe.

15. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

You sound very young. Where are you planning to do this? I suppose if you were in a small town, it might work. I think you'll find yourself rolled in the middle of the night by people who "urban camp" for a living.

But, I'd opt for an external framed pack from a second hand store, nothing looking too new and a tarp. Ditch the blanket and get a decent sleeping bag. Look around and see what the real urban campers are carrying. Anything better than that will soon be in their shopping cart.

16. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I agree with everyone else, that does sound dangerous. How about normal wilderness camping instead? :) Also, I'm surprised a moderator hasn't closed this thread yet. An activity like this could get you in trouble, legally or otherwise. :( See this post: http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=12842.msg157313#msg157313

17. ebsyesque

ebsyesque Empty Pockets

Hey if you and your pals want to kill time while your "camping", you should all take a diffrent corrner and see who can get the most chang. ha..ha..ha....

18. Fladi

Fladi Loaded Pockets

That's an incredible idea! I'm sure it will help you to see the world from a really different point of view and maybe bring the spiritual in you on another level. I would love to do the same!

p.s.
    i see that 90% of the opinions are not to do it just because its too dangerous.....well life is dangerous get over it and go for the ultimate experience. :) Generate experience and memories cause that's what really matters.

19. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Too many beautiful national parks in this country to consider the "vacation" you propose. Would go back to the drawing board on this one.

20. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

As per a previous discussion of this topic, "Urban exploration often involves trespassing, breaking and entering. For this reason, it is not a suitable topic for discussion on EDCF per Rule #5."

This thread is now closed. Thanks for your understanding.

:peg2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.