1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

URBAN BOB

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by Osage, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Osage: Imagine a scenario where there are mass riots all across the US, and, in particular, the city where you live. For whatever reason, you have to navigate this chaotic urban environment and cover quite a distance, on foot, to get to a specific location.

Dan2: Why don't you plan on using some form of cart, bike or folding bike, to carry your heaviest bags?

Osage: Small bolt cutter, e.g., Knipex 8 or 6 inch

Dan2: That is too heavy. Train with your equipment by carrying it for three days, and you will feel what I mean. You better start with an "ultra light backpack equipment", which you can find on the internet. That is carried by experienced mountain climbers and backpack hikers, etc. They know how much they can carry for days, without getting incapacitating muscle strain, etc.

Osage: Lock pick set

Dan2: Depending from your state and local regulations you possibly could get fined or jailed for carrying burglary tools, esp. in cities.

Osage: Wire saw

Dan2: A small folding saw is more sturdy, and is covered by the handle.

Osage: Compass

Dan2: Combine that with a paper road map and street map.

Osage: Headlamp
    • Small flashlight

Dan2: Choose a sturdy aluminum headlight, that can be used in heavy rain.

Osage: 4 Nicad AA & AAA batteries

Dan2: Replace NiCad for NiMH.

Osage: Solar Panel, Goal Zero Nomad 7 +

Dan2: Goal Zero is expensive. Is there a cheaper brand in mobile solar panels?

Osage: iCom ID 51 & charger-Handheld HAM radio

Dan2: HAM-radio is too heavy for a backpack. Instead use a smartphone, whistle, compass mirror and small flashlight for signaling.

Osage: SatPhone & charger & modem

Dan2: Is too heavy for a backpack. You need food, water, ultra light weight tent and a sleeping bag.

• SW/AM/FM radio-small handheld

Dan2: There is an fm radio in your smartphone already.

• Mini iPad & charger

Dan2: Is too heavy.

Titanium cookset & spork, e.g. Snowpeak

Dan2: Use a small aluminum pan in combination with a wood fire. And carry half a gallon of bottled water, plus high calory food. But don't make a wood fire in a forest, to prevent wildfire.

Last edited by Dan2, Jul 14, 2020
    #22 Dan2, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    JIM likes this.
  2. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Osage: "To expand upon my scenario I live in an area that has all three basic environments-urban, suburban, and rural. I used as my working example a situation where I was in one neighboring city and had to travel to my home town that was 35 miles away if one drove on the interstate. This course lies primarily in urban and suburban venues, some of which are very industrial and not particularly "safe". Likewise, I would have to cross one major river."

Dan2: You should carry enough cash money to buy food and services, like a place to sleep, or for hitchhiking, etc.

You can make a military-style floating device of your backpack, by wrapping it in a poncho tarp, and wrapping all the contents in separate watertight plastic bags. But you could get killed by a freight ship in swimming over the river.

Or you could pay someone with money or work, to help you with a boat. Or you can make a raft from trees with a folding saw and paracord, to cross that river.

If you need your Get Home Bag, the situation may be totally different than you prepare for, like you go to an evacuation shelter, or you organize a shelter with your neighbors, where you care for wounded people, etc.

Or it may be a personal disaster instead of a local or national disaster, like getting disabled, suicidal, unemployed or homeless, etc.

If you plan to commit burglary and to engage in armed conflict instead of self-sustainment with your own dried food and water and tent, that may increase your risk of being killed by home owners, companies or police.

You can carry some food and drinking water on a bicycle. And you can catch some fish during the situation. Thanks for sharing your story BTW.

JIM likes this.
  3. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

It is probably safer to find reliable people that are willing to help you with water and some food or shelter, for money, during a crisis situation. Or you could do some repair or cleaning work for them in return.

If you commit burglary in a company or residential building, you could be wounded by the owner, supported by dogs and neighbors. Or you can get arrested by the police.

#24 Dan2, Jul 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    JIM and Moshe ben David like this.