1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading my EDC - from a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack... to what?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Raceaddict, Nov 13, 2014.

1. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

I think the kato is too small for your needs.. Its alot smaller than it looks on the inside.. Its hard to explain, but the pockets are very very slim.. Nothing exept an ipad fits in there.. Dont go there.. If it was me, i would go with the very slim nice Tasmanian Tiger Essentials, i went from the 5.11 push and messenger rush to that pack (and got a sikta too, which suck big time) nothing beats the TT-E

2. Glock Block

Glock Block Loaded Pockets

There was a dude recently on shark tank with a product called manpack. Might be worth glancing at?

3. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I upgraded from Fatboy to Jumbo. Great bag; fits my needs pretty much perfectly.

I typically travel with my 70D, 70-200/4, 17-55/2.8, 35/2, and 10-18/4.5-5.6. Everything fits in my think tank retrospective, but I will sometimes just take one of the wider lenses on-body in the Jumbo for a lighter setup on a shorter outing.

Re: swimming, no one ever said you have to fill a bag to its gills. The main compartment of my Jumbo is usually 70% or more empty. Perfect for a non-pro (nongripped) DSLR and compact lens, for example! :D

EDIT:

One Hand
    One Second
    Without Looking
    Comes from True Organization
    Combined with Practice

Last edited by kirbysdl, Nov 17, 2014
  4. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

As another said, why not use the phone pouch for something else, and get a new pouch to attach to the bag to hold your phone? Overthinking it maybe?

5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

HA! You made me spit out a dumpling.

FlyersFanJV and Justinicus like this.
  6. Raceaddict

Raceaddict Loaded Pockets

Thought of that, but the only attachment option on the current bag is a) very small (2 rows) and wobbly (on the back of a pocket, not on the bag itself) and b) is on the back of the bag... where it's harder to reach and more likely to bump into other stuff.

7. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

I went from the Fatboy, to the Jumbo, to Sitka, to Tom Bihn Synapsys 19 ... In that order, lol

8. JT2V

JT2V Loaded Pockets

Go more urban and stylish with the Tom Bihn medium cafe bag :)

9. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

Add the Janus pouch to the shoulder strap.

pawn, Swedishmetal and Myrddraal like this.
  10. Pointman

Pointman Loaded Pockets

I used to have a Fatboy in FG, but have recently moved to a Vanquest Tolcat, having that extra side pocket has worked really well for me...

I go between that and a Sitka depending how much cold weather clothing I'm carrying...

[​IMG]

AlgoOPC likes this.
  11. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

That Sitka looks oddly familiar ;)

Pointman likes this.
  12. Raceaddict

To those that suggested a Hazard 4 Kato... I'm pretty sure that's the direction I'm going (the phone's going in the Fatboy CCW pocket for now) but I'm wondering if anyone's put a Skinth Mily Way (or similar) on the side of the Kato (the side that would be facing forward when carried on one's right side).

How would that fit? That seems like it'd be the solution for me.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Tolcat arrived Today.
    I have not had time to explore it yet but first impressions are pretty good!
    And the price was right too!

14. AlgoOPC

AlgoOPC Loaded Pockets

Love My Kato.

Blitzwing likes this.
  15. Raceaddict

Hazard 4 Kato: Incoming! It's getting here via my dad in Florida, so I've gotta' wait a bit... but by next weekend it'll be in my hands and I'll get to work on loading it up.

16. Raceaddict

Finally got the Kato last weekend instead of two weeks ago like I'd planned (dad postponed his trip home) and I'm quite liking it thus far. It's very different from the MaxPed Versipack though so it takes a lot of getting used to.

I still haven't figured out how to pack everything into it in such a way that each item is easy to find/get out. There's almost too much room to put things. This bag could get very heavy very fast if one were to get carried away with their EDC.

The depth of the bag takes some getting used to. Obviously being able to carry an iPad vertically means the bag will be deep, but I've been thinking that a pouch that is somewhat close to the length & width of the bottom of the main compartment could serve as a really nicely stocked FAK and would also be a way to move the other things in the main compartment up an inch or two as well. I have an unused MaxPed Janus that might work out well in this way.

One issue I am having is that the cinch strap on the bottom (D-ring attached to the large front-mounted SRB) doesn't stay cinched. Is that normal? It seems to leave the fold-over flap very loose... but this could just be because I don't have the bag stuffed at all.

The next step is to find the best way to carry an iPhone 6 with this bag. For now I'm using the large front CCW pocket, but this means the phone slides to the bottom and isn't really held in any one spot. A simple sleeve with a velcro patch on the back might be in order (if I can find something like that) to keep the phone placed right at the top of the pocket. Another option might be a Skinth of some type mounted horizontally on the MOLLE web under the flap... but that would hinder getting at the phone quickly.

17. Raceaddict

So... just over a week later:

Almost universally love the bag, but not 100% convinced it's going to work for me. The biggest issue is the top flap not staying cinched tight. Without the main compartment stuffed full the fold-over flap just seems way too loose. I can easily pass my entire arm through the "slackness" of it, between the flap and the MOLLE panel.

I'll be trying it out as a camera/travel bag in a few weeks... see if it serves that purpose better.

Anyone have any ideas about the phone holster issue? Something slim, and very minimal, but velcro backed to hold in place near the top of the CCW pocket?