1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Upgrading Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ArnieJB, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I am looking at upgrading my edc light from my Quark Mini123 to something with a clip and more options. I was initially looking at the Jetbeam RRT-01 but am now leaning towards the Sunwayman V11r. I love the magnetic control ring feature to infinitely adjust the brightness. Does anyone have either of these lights and offer feedback?

2. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

Small 123a light with a clip?
    I dont have either of those but do love my Incendio V3u

I have had adjustable output lights in the past and found the feature to be a detriment. The technology has probably improved or I would hope it has.

3. CrazyHighVoltage

CrazyHighVoltage Loaded Pockets

hi

wat kind of power source will u be using cr123 or 16340 rechargebles?
    the runtime of the sunwayman on 16340 is prety low but it is realy bright on those things.
    i also have the olight s10 baton which i realy like after an emiter swap because the stock tint is a bit green.

4. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I want to stay with a 123 with primarily using a CR123 with option of using an RCR.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

I have a V10r. Love the magnetic ring function. My favorite light. Even over my Haiku.

defuse kit likes this.
  6. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Woah. What a statement right here. :)

Six String likes this.
  7. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I have the v11r with the AA extender. I honestly have not had the need to buy another light. I really want the HDS rotary clicky but honestly the v1-r is all I need. Infinitely variable! It's a handful of light and has some great throw.

defuse kit likes this.
  8. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Loving my V10R Ti. It's amazing and I don't k ow what else to say about it. I want a zebra light h51w, but that's to have an angled light. EDC? Swm ftw.

KAMM likes this.
  9. herosemblem

herosemblem Loaded Pockets

I owed the V11R and got rid of it. Nice light, but if I remember correctly, the control ring on my unit had an infinitely variable resistance to it! Stiff when you begin turning it, then during the same turn it would instantly become easy to turn it, then it gets stiff on and off intermittently. Just weird. Also, the ring was somewhat difficult to locate. Oh, I just remembered that I hated the SOFT START. On any other brightness than max, the light will ramp up to the desired brightness level. It gets annoying if you're like me and are accustomed to, and demand instant light. YMMV.

I owned the RRT-0. Liked it a lot. It decimates worlds when on an IMR 14500 cell. The control ring was easy to turn, locate, and grip...but it had excess travel. Also, my unit only dimmed down to like 3 lumens. I thought they were supposed to dim to sub-lumen output. Oh, and despite my initial prediction that I would love having a tailcap pushbutton AND a control ring on the same light...for some reason I did not like it. I found it a hindrance.

I now own the RRT-01. Love it. I thought I would hate having only a control ring. I also always made fun of people who hold flashlights using the "handshake" grip (as opposed to holding the light above one's shoulder...overhand grip). My unit does tailstand. Using the handshake grip works great with this light. I can almost-instantly have any brightness I want, including max. The only area I would not recommend this light is if you intend it for defensive/tactical use, or if you are big on having "instant light NOW", where a tailcap pushbutton and overhand grip seem to work best.

willydigger likes this.
  10. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Awesome feedback guys (and girls)! I don't plan on using it tactically at all and the soft start doesn't bother me either. I do like the idea of a clicky on the back (one of the things that I don't like about my Mini) and I also like the idea of being able to adjust the brightness and keep it there when turning the light on and off.

11. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

It's true. :) The Haiku is an amazing light with incredible fit, finish and light output. But, the v10r is 95% as nice and costs a lot less. Plus, I really like the magmatic control ring. And, I don't worry about taking the v10r on trips or clipping it on a pocket carrying keys, tools, etc.

KAMM likes this.
  12. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

I've been itching to get a magnetic infinitely variable ring light, but just can't get over the loss of emergency runtime with a UI that uses more power than the LED at low lumen levels. I don't know, it's just that EDC/Prepper just-in-case thing nagged at the back of my mind.

I'm warming up to Peak's QTC lights on the infinitely variable side though.

13. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

I enjoy my HDS EDC Rotary 200.

But I do recognize its not as efficient at lower lumens compared to the HDS EDC Clicky/Twisty models, due to the power-hungry UI.

I guess it's a trade-off, not a big one as I still get a week of light (thats like 3 months at 2hrs a night) on low low with my HDS Rotary, out of one battery. Considering I have hundreds of batteries, not too concerned.

14. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Well, if you can get 180 hrs of an HDS rotary on useable low low, I would already consider that to be reasonably efficient - I'm talking about the runtimes on some of these other magnetic ring lights that are a quarter of that.

Also, this being a EDC forum, it inherently implies that we are out and away from our home battery stores - so a lot depends on the state of charge of the current batt, and what spares you are willing to EDC, if and when you find yourself in an emergency.

15. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

And that's why I carry five back up lights and a few batteries :)

Blerv likes this.
  16. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Indeed kind sir....indeed.

17. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Now that's a true flashaholic!

Sniperx7 and KAMM like this.
  18. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

All of you are making me feel like an unprepared buffoon! ;) I only carry one light, one knife , one MT, one pen and NO edc bag! If I can't fit in my pockets, it doesn't come with me. :eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

sl66ICEcuba likes this.
  19. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

+1! Bingo. Hate the light. :D

20. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

Both good choices, but I tend to like my Jetbeams over my SWM lights in general.

I've got a little Ti habit too, so I'm often swayed by that :D
    Current favourite is the Jetbeam TC-R1.

I would also consider the aforementioned Lumapower IncenDio - brilliant bit of kit.