1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade Surefire E1B Backup?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by WoodenChicken, Oct 10, 2015.

1. WoodenChicken

WoodenChicken Loaded Pockets

First of all, I am not very technical on the flashlights, so excuse my ignorance. I have an old Surefire E1B Backup, the ones that had 80 lumens as a high setting I believe.
    Love the light, but lights have become much brighter since this one was made.

Is there a way to upgrade this for more lumens? Or someone I can send it to (preferably). thanks in advance!

2. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

You could buy the newer LED lens from Surefire. New ones are around 200 Lumens, or you could use it as an excuse to buy another light!

WoodenChicken likes this.
  3. Donut
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Donut Loaded Pockets

I think if you were going to do it, you would be buying the whole head. You would unscrew your head, throw it in the garbage or sell it, then screw the new head on.

It might be a comparable price to buy a whole light then keep your E1B for around the house or sell it as a whole light.

You might want to note that I think you are overlapping the time period when Surefire changed their Lumen ratings. I remember the E2DL was 100 or 120 lumens, then they changed how they do the lumen ratings and re-released the light in a 200 lumen package. You might get a new version and it might not be much brighter.

4. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

I think that light is still fine. Its 80 lumens is deceiving low for what it actually puts out. Its closer to 120 lumens, with a throw beam. If you like the beam on your e1b, it'll be hard to find another light, similar in size that will throw further, unless it was another surefire.

You can try and mod the light yourself, or send it out to be modded. Xpg2 works very well with its optic.

Buying a whole another light would be the other option. Buying just the head form surefire would cost almost as much as a complete light from them.
    And if you do replace the head, don't throw it in the trash. Its still in demand, and can easily fetch $40, or more if in better condition.

Cityus and WoodenChicken like this.
  5. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Personally, I still prefer the discontinued E1B to its newer (and brighter) EB1 replacement, in terms of stock lights.

CPF member Tana is the expert, however, if you prefer to step up to a modified upgrade ....

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=369099

Not all possible options may be listed, so it is worth discussing with him exactly what you might want.

6. WoodenChicken

WoodenChicken Loaded Pockets

Thanks, plenty of options there. Seems I will just keep things status quo on that light, as I have no real complaints.

archimedes likes this.
  7. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Another (expensive) option is a VME bezel and a Malkoff M31 dropin.

That way, when LED tech improves, you can always just upgrade the dropin :)

8. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

The E1B is still my favorite pocket light. The newer version has more initial output, but it is not regulated, so it just keeps getting dimmer. Plenty of light for what I need it for, and steady, constant output.

9. dowtech

dowtech Loaded Pockets

Been away from the forums for awhile, but glad to find this thread. My E1B was the second relatively high end flashlight I bought (after an E2D Executive Defender incandescent). I was thinking of updating it to LED, but after reading the posts here, I agree with fresh eddie fresh. It's been my on-body EDC light for years, either clipped to my left pocket or riding in the small pocket of my 511s or Columbia vest. And it's made at least three trips through a complete laundry cycle - partially unscrewed - and I only replaced the battery for safety. While it may not be "tactical" by today's standards, it's done every mundane thing I've asked of it. Guess it's a keeper as is.

10. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

I have both the E1B (with a Z68 tail cap) and the newer EB1.

I don't really like the short run times, however they have a nice user interface and of course, indisputable quality.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Please elaborate on this portion of your post. I don't quite understand it.

12. DFW_Jose

DFW_Jose Loaded Pockets

When the EB1 came out, I sold my E1B because I wanted the higher Lumen light. Although the EB1 is significantly brighter, it's also a bit longer as well. In hindsight, I probably should have kept the E1B. I think the E1B was bright enough for my EDC needs and I miss the more compact light. I've gotten use to the length of the EB1 though and have learned to live with it. Now I just wish Surefire would bring back the Tactical switch as I really don't care for the Click version of it.

13. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

Sorry to dig up this post. But I'm sure you'll be glad to know the tactical UI is on its way back

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

14. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I just wish they’d hurry up about it. It’ll take a while to filter up to Canada and I really like the looks of those edc Surefires.

15. Cityus

Cityus Loaded Pockets

Yup! I'm up here in Canada too. I was considering the aviator but now I'm dealing with a new conflict either the 1xcr123 EDC thats soon to be announced or 2xcr123 EDC :)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#15 Cityus, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  16. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

I ordered the edcl2-t on a website and then it switched to back-ordered so going to have to wait a while longer. Not sure who will have them first. I really like the other TIR surefires I have. 1200 lumens will be awesome.

17. DFW_Jose

DFW_Jose Loaded Pockets

Yup I saw it and I'm excited now!! I might be upgrading lights and selling my EB's :D

18. DFW_Jose

DFW_Jose Loaded Pockets

19. tom pendleton

tom pendleton Empty Pockets

I have a E1B from 2008, 80 lumans max. Recently I looked at the lens and it was cloudy. I contacted surefire and sent it to them. They don't have the same head anymore so they put the new 300 lumen head on it and sent it back to me free.

WoodenChicken, twoisone and ran23 like this.
  20. DFW_Jose

DFW_Jose Loaded Pockets

Very nice!