1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Upgrade in function and PRICE to 5.11 Rush 12/24/72

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by k7wcb, Mar 2, 2011.

?

Are Rush 5.11 packs still a good value?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. k7wcb

k7wcb Empty Pockets

Long time lurker, 1st time poster.

5.11 has done some upgrading to their 5.11 Rush series bags, including an UPgrade to the price. Most of the improvements were structural.

Here is a company vid on the improvements: [video=youtube;8sSHlx7VHD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sSHlx7VHD8[/video]

When I first saw some of the improvements they made, I was kicking myself because I had just bought a Rush 24 not more than 2 months ago. I purchased it for regular price from the 5.11 website for $99.00. I felt comfortable about the price and had spent literally HOURS researching bags before deciding on the 24. It is near as perfect for my uses as I could find, at the price threshold I was looking for.

Well folks, prices has increased dramatically. The Rush 12 was originally $79.00. New price is $109.99. Rush 24 originally $99.00. New price is $139.99. Rush 72 was originally $129.00. New price is $169.99. Add a couple pouches to the web system and the price starts to really ramp up.

I'm grateful and disappointed at the same time. Grateful that I got a good pack at what I felt was a fair price, disappointed that 5.11 made such a steep increase in their prices. Could be an increase in materials cost, labor costs, supply and demand, greed, who knows what drove the prices so far North.

I was going to pick up a Rush 12 as a companion pack but not for $110. Don't get me wrong here, I don't think that the new prices make the 5.11 a lesser pack. I just don't see the prices as being a reflection on what the packs are. If I can catch a Rush 12 on a 20% off sale then I'll jump on it, but I think the last 20% off sale was used to rid the inventory of the last version of the packs. For me it's just not worth the extra $30 in nickels for essentially the same pack.

2. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I hope i can still find one for 100$ i plan on buying it on friday.

3. ovaltine

ovaltine Loaded Pockets

I got the 24 a few months back and gotta say I'm glad I bought it when I did because it's perfect for me as is. None of these new changes are improvements for my usage and the corresponding higher prices would probably make me look at another pack if I had to do it again.

4. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

I managed to get one for 80$ It was the original price with the 20% off. Also got the free knife. Not to bad.

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The music in the background is a nice touch.

The idea of taking that pack on a deployment...words fail me. Especially on a family-friendly forum.

The "c clip" sternum strap was and apparently still is, a joke.

-Trevor

6. k7wcb

k7wcb Empty Pockets

Glad you found one. I paid $99 for my 24 and no free goodies. Oh well.

I haven't had any problems with my chest strap or the c clips.

Best pack I ever bought for $100. I wouldn't pay the new full price tho. I use mine as a duty bag for my LE job, and as a daypack on the weekends.

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just a word of caution - the sternum strap on my 72 went flying with a moderate to heavy load. It's something to keep in mind if you intend to load your bag and use it for hauling.

I have broad shoulders, so I always have to use a sternum strap with just about any bag - your mileage may vary.

-Trevor

8. eme714

eme714 Loaded Pockets

tmedina, not being critical here, I have read that you should even have sternum straps tight. They should be loose- they are only there for stabilization not load bearing. I am assuming that it was so tight because your shoulders are broad?

9. Bullosa

Bullosa Loaded Pockets

I got a RUSH24 a month ago and thought that they did a good job with the design and certainly priced it well. I like the newly improved RUSH but their price increase is certainly quite steep. Hopefully 511 will still keep the original RUSH series in their inventory.

10. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh, be as critical as you like - I promise I won't throw a temper tantrum. ;)

I always cinch my sternum straps tight to offset the shoulder straps' tendency to pull away and off my shoulders when the pack is moderately or heavily loaded.

By comparison, the sternum strap on my 7+ year old Jansport backpack is adjustable up and down, but otherwise thoroughly clipped to the shoulder strap. It has never popped free - for that matter, it isn't designed to be removeable. The sternum strap on my issued 3-day MOLLE pack is equally solid and "beefy" for wear, tear and abuse. It won't come loose without major hardware failure in the buckles and again, is not removeable.

There are people who love 5.11 bags - I'm not one of them. I found the 12 and 72 to be completely ineffective for my purposes. And with respect to their marketing department, I shudder to think about taking them to the field, never mind on a deployment.

-Trevor

ETA: I freely admit, I tend to be rough on my stuff - what makes the bag(s) impractical for me doesn't necessarily apply to the intended uses of others.