1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Update on Evade 2.0 and start of the wait list...........

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Remove duplicate post

2. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

Those measurements would equate to ~2900 cubic inches or 47 liters.

A good looking bag and on sale for a steal at some stores, but that's HUGE for an EDC unless there is an error in the measurements listed.

12" is a big distance to have weight constantly sitting extended from your body for most users.

3. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

You can’t calculate total volume based on exterior dimensions alone, you have to remember all the dividers and separations with extra material. as HELM knows, there’s an industry standard for measuring interior volume of a bag.

Just to be clear, I don’t think 12” depth is the right number either, just a reference point. My point is the 1.0 needed more main compartment depth (1” atleast) to be more usable for carrying a lunch + jacket or shoes or whatever when needed.

Btw, I’d rather have the extra room and be able to compress the bag vs not having the room when you need it, but that’s a personal preference. I usually carry the MR Daily compressed to 7-8” but that extra expansion sure is nice when you need it!

Last edited by Bimmer4me, Nov 3, 2018
    #83 Bimmer4me, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    RED-FIVE, swedishelite22 and Andrew_H like this.
  4. swedishelite22

Very valid point regarding volume measurement. I guess I never really thought the compartment padding and dividers made up that much of a difference. The basic conversion of the EV1 is 25 liters vs the stated 27 so it's fairly close but again that's just one bag. Given enough padding and compartments it could play a role.

It all comes down to personal preference in terms of use I guess. I completely agree with your point about compressing un-needed space but having it is nice. As long as they (the compression straps themselves) don't interfere with access. If I have to un-do the compression straps to pull out my laptop or files, etc every time then the usefulness/convenience of the bag dramatically decreases.

That's also the fun... Errr I mean excuse... Errr I mean real "true need" behind having multiple bags ;) . 20 liter quick day pack, 25-30 liter average EDC, 35-40 liter heavy/inclement weather EDC, 45-55 liter weekender travel bag, etc.

IMO once you break 30 liters you start pushing the limits of public transit/elevator/city street practical which is (for me) a very important measure for a true EDC pack.

Bimmer4me and RED-FIVE like this.
  5. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

That looks awesome!!! I love the new strap design.

6. swedishelite22

Random, and probably silly, question but, how does the (female) buckle side of the compression strap remove?

(Looking at the latest prototype pics on page 3) on the front of the pack you can see the open ended clip that can slide back through the loop to free the strap, but on the back side image where the female and of the buckle is attached there doesn't seem to be such an option.

7. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

@swedishelite22 - it's called a Split Bar Buckle. You can easily Google it.

I took some quick shots of a side by side comparison before I left but never got a chance to upload it so will do so after this. Gonna sign off after that 'cos I am currently overseas and will check in as time allows.

swedishelite22 and Andrew_H like this.
  8. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

9. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the pics @HELM! I was really torn between the 1.0 and 2.0 but will definitely wait for the 2.0 now for the extra capacity!

Btw, I previously put in my reservation for a 1050d ballistic nylon black version and just hope that I can get in on that test batch as I was on the latter side of the list ;)

#89 Bimmer4me, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  10. swedishelite22

@HELM thanks for the answer and the teaser pics.

Is it safe to assume (based on the image) that the 2.0 is indeed 1" deeper in addition to the added height/width?

It may just be the image but the 2.0 looks like it absolutely dwarfs the first gen.

11. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

@HELM is posting all these great pictures. I am excited to get the EV2 in my daily carry line-up. The ol' Covert 18 can now serve backup duties.

Pangari1 likes this.
  12. Boarhunterward

Boarhunterward Loaded Pockets

Will the 1.0 be receiving the same changes as the 2.0? Love the size, but need a padded back.

BTG108 and swedishelite22 like this.
  13. Pangari1

Pangari1 Loaded Pockets

Lmao, that’s the exact bag that is currently “sweating” the arrival of the EV2 in my house as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BTG108 likes this.
  14. Bluedart

Bluedart Empty Pockets

I’m excited that the ev2 is finally here. My current edc is a synapse 25. It really is a good bag but not exactly what I want. I’m looking forward to the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

GoRuck Rucker 2.0 will be seeing eBay if this turns out well.

Bluedart and littleme like this.
  16. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

To make this the perfect perfect perfect bag for me, I'd love to see a double lined bottom on the 500D Cordura/420D nylon options (for durability, just like how Mystery Ranch does on most of their packs) and #10 YKK zippers (atleast on the laptop and main compartments) but I know it's probably too late for any modifications to the design at this point ;)

littleme likes this.
  17. swedishelite22

In an attempt to temporarily quell my craving I re-read through all the design chat.

#10 zippers made it into a prototype but were deemed too bulky and heavy for the type of bag so the #8 reverse style was kept for better overall functionality.

Idk about the bottom but since the initial run was slated for May 2018, and it's been bumped and redesigned many times over, it's doubtful anything gets changed at this point. It sounds like the goal is to have the a final test bag waiting for Helm once he returns from this current trip so he can update final specs and pricing, then get links up to order etc for the holidays.

That's just what I gather, but if you ask my wife, I'm wrong way more than not.

Myrddraal likes this.
  18. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

Poke poke. Any updates? :frantic:

19. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Guys, wrapping up work overseas. I am headed back to VA this weekend for Thanksgiving as expected. Production has already started. I've asked the sample maker to get me one of each (fabric finish) so that I can get the photos done including the accessories. As soon as I get those photo samples I will proceed to invite those who have reserved to place their final order online.

I am working the odds to get the orders delivered by mid-Dec. Yes, I am an optimistic bastard ;) Been proven wrong a couple of times but optimistic no less.

Andrew_H, Rainy, race2c and 8 others like this.
  20. C. Sandiego

C. Sandiego Empty Pockets

Hope I'm not too late, been waiting on approval. A19-BVT-Type 2-DRB/BK.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

HELM likes this.