1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Update on Evade 2.0 and start of the wait list...........

Discussion in 'Alpha One Niner (bags & gear)' started by HELM, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Amen man! I’m also a MR fan but some of his product decisions for EDC are just so short sited. That’s why I have mad respect and had to support @HELM and this wonderfully and practically designed bag. Thanks Helm for actually listening to the consumers request and providing them something they actually want, not tell them what they want

HELM, RED-FIVE and Andrew_H like this.
  2. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Spark, gimme a few minutes and I will send a PM on this.

3. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I've been tracking Dana since Dana Design days and there's a bunch of his packs in my basement from the 80s onwards. The man is an icon. In his defense I guess it's also a question of past experience and/or training one has had dealing with customers, clients, end users, etc. I never started from the product development sector, more the retail one and I worked for 2 major institutions starting in the late 80s. First it was the original Barneys New York on 17th Street and then Bergdorf Goodman on 57th & 5th, both in NYC. And I was very very lucky to learn from the very best who all had the same mindset.......'Rule #1 - Customer is always right. Rule # 2, if the customer is wrong, please look at Rule #1!'.

Now we all know that customers can't be right all the time but you get the gist of it. We had to compete for sales but more importantly you also had to support your fellow sales associates too, and that was how it was......customer service, customer service, customer service. I sold everything from Tumi bags to $25,000 women's suits (I kid you not) from Balmain by Oscar de la Renta. I remember getting authorization to push a garment rack with nearly $30,000 worth of womenswear up the street on 57th so that one of my clients could do her fitting at her own time and pace in her penthouse. I had done and seen in all and the rewards for being customer service oriented was worth any hurdle along the way.

That my friends set the tone for the years to come. Karma or not, you treat everyone the same, regardless whether they are buying $10 accessories or a $1000 bag. When the time comes and you read the feedback like what you've written above, you end the day with a Cheshire cat grin on your face. Never fails, it's always worth it.

So as far as I am concern, I am extremely lucky to have had a good foundation thanks to the efforts of many and it has helped me tremendously along the way in all my past, present and hopefully future endeavors.

Anyway, my sincere thanks once again. I gotta mossy and get some packing done 'cos I'm out in less than 14 hours but I will be sure to check in and update you guys from the far side ;)

4. sparktofire

sparktofire Loaded Pockets

Going to order mine and 1050D is sold out. I guess people changed their mind and didn’t follow through with what they actually requested in the reservation thread?

EDIT
    Type 1 organizer was sold out with 1050D. Ordered type 2 option and a second add on type 1. Thanks Helm

Last edited by sparktofire, Dec 9, 2018
    #204 sparktofire, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    HELM and RED-FIVE like this.
  5. HELM
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer

HELM Loaded Pockets

I can change that to Type 1 for you. Easy do.

RED-FIVE and Andrew_H like this.
  6. sparktofire

sparktofire Loaded Pockets

I’ll try both. Modular and all that right? :)Thanks though

RED-FIVE and Andrew_H like this.
  7. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

One of my favorite words!
    BOTH!

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Dec 9, 2018
    #207 RED-FIVE, Dec 9, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Andrew_H, littleme and steeps like this.
  8. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

Wow!!! Im so happy to see the video. Great work, Helm!!
    I have a couple of questions hoping you would be able to help as follows:
    1. When is the deadline to place an order?
    2. Would you please let me know the cost for 500D (black or navy blue), Type 1, with Beavertail as well. I would also like to purchase Type 2 as well.
    3. Would it come with Navy blue color?
    4. Is there any chance that you would be able to ship it out from your studio to save me a bit of s+h?

Thanks much in advance for your help.

9. Happygodavid

Happygodavid Loaded Pockets

Hey folks, just wanted to write a quick note here. I'm pretty new to the forum, but I've been lurking for over a year, and I've been following the development of the EV2. Long story not quite as long, I realized from looking on here that Helm and I actually live in the same town! I reached out to him to see if I could pick up some gear I purchased, rather than having it shipped. He said yes, so yesterday, I went to his house (like 2 miles from me!). First of all, Helm is every bit as genuine and nice in person as he is on here. Totally welcomed me, a complete stranger, into his home. A super cool guy. And folks, I swear, I wish you all could have seen all the stuff he has made (I almost feel guilty, being new to the forum). I had no idea how much stuff he actually produced. It goes faaaaaaarrrrrrrr beyond the A19 line (I'm sure you all know this, but it was news to me). Sniper rifle cases, pouches, bags, backpacks, vests... on and on. Also, of course, he showed me the new EV2, and it's just fantastic. Definitely a lot roomier than the EV1, and the modulatory nature of it is so darn cool. He showed me a few examples of how different pouches, clips, etc. could be integrated, and it really got my wheels turning on things I could do with it; I can't wait. Anyhoo, just wanted to share the story with folks who might actually care; I don't know anyone in person who would be excited to meet Helm and visit his "laboratory," so I had to tell SOMEone. Not that you guys needed any convincing, but Helm is the kind of business owner (human) the world needs; I want everyone I know to buy something from him now. TL;DR- Helm is great. The EV2 is great. You will all be greatly pleased.

SOS24, Bimmer4me, steeps and 8 others like this.
  10. race2c

race2c Loaded Pockets

I have to echo some of the sentiments here on Helm. In my interaction with him on this forum (especially on the EV2 details), he has been answering all my messages, willing to help, helping on my shipping details, always pleasant via messages...and willing to put up with my questions. Great resource, great manufacturer for the EDC community, and will have my ongoing support. Seems like some manufacturers start out small and often loose focus on their user base. Hopefully, Helm continues to take feedback and changes from the community to provide products that work.

BTG108, steeps, RED-FIVE and 3 others like this.
  11. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

Same as Happygodavid, Im a noob here and Ive only been lurking for awhile as my account took a much longer time to be approved.
    Helm not only helped in answering questions when I contacted him through the A19 site but I've got the impression that he's not only attentive but feel responsible for his products and to his customers. He's the kind of person that goes the extra mile to reach out, help as much as he could. It feels so much different when there is a personal connection and genuinely willing to help. He's an awesome human being!!!

12. MH-05

MH-05 Loaded Pockets

it's official I have just ordered mine!!!

RED-FIVE, HELM and Andrew_H like this.
  13. Tromba

Tromba Loaded Pockets

Really torn. I saw this thread literally in the hour it was posted and I almost preordered. After watching the video a few times I am almost tempted to convert from my Vertx Gamut. The ONLY thing holding me back are the load lifters. For edc I want a very clean pack with no extra straps flapping around to deal with. I love the velcro strap management of the Gamut. In my experience with elastic loops like in 5.11 they never stay where I want them.

Other than that it looks like an amazing pack.

Radioactive_Man and RED-FIVE like this.
  14. Bimmer4me

Bimmer4me Loaded Pockets

Any backpack can have “strap management” with a $5 roll of Velcro hahaha

15. Happygodavid

Happygodavid Loaded Pockets

Aren’t a lot of the straps removable? Perhaps others can chime in here.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  16. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey Tromba,
    I understand your concerns, and have gone the velcro keeper route on many packs I own that don't offer any webbing management out of the box.

My A19's have been the exception. I have found the elastic to be very good on my EV1 along with the webbing that has a good stiffness. The elastic loops seem to stay put... more than most I've used. The mil spec elastic is sown nice and tight. It also doesn't sag out over time like other products that use inferior quality materials. Thankfully, Helm has spared no expense when it comes to materials and craftsmanship.

With my EV1, I've never had an issue with flapping straps for the reasons stated above. True! The EV2 does have more going on in the strap dept. which should square away nicely with no issues. Just like you guys, I like to tidy things up on a freshly minted pack taking care of any loose/dangley gib. And yes the compression straps are removable, just not the load lifters.

That being said, if you like to lock down the ends... more of a "set it and forget it" situation, the elastic is quite sufficient. With a creative bit of technique you can coil up the ends of the straps to make a tight bundle. It takes a bit of time to make sure you wrap it evenly, but it works well. Of course, to adjust the strap later the process will have to be repeated obviously. Which may not be optimal for your needs.

I've been able to set up my Rush Series like this with the provided elastic loops without adding extra velcro keepers. Like when setting up the tier system for bottom compression. The extra web ends coiled up using the elastic. No issues.

Still, as mentioned, it's not too much of a deal to add a few velcro keepers or Onewrap to fix up the strap ends to your liking. I ended up going with custom made 1" velcro keepers for my TNF packs that had nothing in the way of straps keepers. I actually enjoy finding ways to personalize or mod a piece kit to my preference.

IIRC Helm's decision to go the elastic route is due to the fact that even the edge of velcro keepers can at times chafe against garments when used on things like web ends on the harness or shoulder straps. Elastic being the less offensive of the two.

I remember this comment from Helm few years back....

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/new-crowdsourced-product-developments-as-we-go-along.122106/page-18#post-2219630

@Chris C asked about strap management which I agree is really important, and always find it helpful to have something around to add if the pack needs a tweek or adjustment. You get the idea. Personally, with all the possible solutions out there, if I can simply come up with a different one to suit my needs, the issue ends up being more trivial. But still... an important aspect of setting up my packs. So I hear you there.
    ;)

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Dec 11, 2018
    #216 RED-FIVE, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Myrddraal and Andrew_H like this.
  17. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

As an addition....For those of us who do find a use for both elastic & velcro keepers for a particular situ, perhaps @HELM might consider offering something in the future for us gear heads to address this if demand was high enough. Offer them in the shop as an accessory. Thoughts...

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Dec 12, 2018
    #217 RED-FIVE, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  18. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Okay, many of us may be wondering about strap management on the rest of the straps. It's been a topic before, @Chris C is on the ball again! ;)

So maybe we should ask.....

@HELM will there be any elastic loops on the compression straps? And the beavertail top straps?

I know we're passing the threshold where details are being locked down. Just curious, since the topic has come around again, and also the compression straps size have been downgraded to 3/4 " webbing.

Last edited by RED-FIVE, Dec 11, 2018
    #218 RED-FIVE, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Chris C and Myrddraal like this.
  19. PHRN5

PHRN5 Loaded Pockets

Still out of town for my wife's back surgery. We're hoping to be home mid-week, and I can order then. It looks fantastic!

Andrew_H and RED-FIVE like this.
  20. RED-FIVE
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

RED-FIVE Loaded Pockets

Hey PHRN5, I would be sure to PM @HELM if you haven't already.
    Hopeful for a quick recovery for her bro!

Andrew_H likes this.