1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Update: Anything rival the Sebenza for $370ish?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by wundergussy, May 13, 2013.

1. wundergussy

wundergussy Loaded Pockets

Hey all! It's been a while since I've posted (I spent WAY too much money when I got into this last year and needed to take a clean break). I am just now trying to put together a useful, quality, but not insane EDC. Last year I had the fortune to get a Small Sebenza Insingo, and it was perfect. Just perfect.

UPDATE to this post: thanks to all the recommendations everyone! I got some more cash together and am now trying to decide if anything rivals the Sebbie. Let's say the Small Sebbie Insingo is my perfect EDC knife. Is there anything out there that I should also consider? The Strider PT is of course tempting, but it seems the fit and finish on the sebbie wins. Three Sisters is tempting, but I am worried the blade just LOOKS more aggressive, less friendly for use around non-knife people.

Last edited by wundergussy, May 14, 2013
    bobradley likes this.
  2. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Southard?! A bit bigger but pretty nice.

3. jeepsrjason
    • In Omnia Paratus

jeepsrjason Loaded Pockets

Not the best pic for size comparo but best I had, 3rd one from the right...
    [​IMG]

yo mama and Aleister like this.
  4. MWDP

MWDP Banned

Sage 2 is the bee's knees. I can't speak for Techno (although I'd like to own one), but to me the blade is too thick for that small of a knife. Southard looks awesome, but you'll have to shop around to find it at normal prices. ZT 0560 is another great knife, but a bit large I'm afraid...

5. MrGlockJock25

MrGlockJock25 Loaded Pockets

Get a Techno or Southard. The sage just feels a little too flimsy to me (I know, it isn't). The techno also looks a lot better than the sage 2.

6. MWDP

MWDP Banned

7. CGSshorty

CGSshorty Empty Pockets

It's been mentioned, but I think the Sage 2 sounds like it fits the bill perfectly.

8. Ted Andkilde

Ted Andkilde Loaded Pockets

Sage 2 or a Southard are too nice for "beater" use IMO.

Benchmade 707 or slightly larger 710 or 940 would be OK beaters given BM's $25 replacement blade policy.

True beaters would be, SRM 710 or CRKT Drifter.

On the "nice" beater side, I'd look at the plastic handled Spydercos, Kershaw Leek variants, Ontario Rat, locking SAK, etc.

Cheers, Ted

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

9. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

The Techno is awesome!

[​IMG]

Bravo_Kilo likes this.
  10. GG_Blaisdell

GG_Blaisdell Loaded Pockets

Is the Techno a Golden, CO knife?

Sent from my Nexus-6 (basic pleasure model)

11. heck333
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

I believe it is made in Taiwan.

Greg

12. mniels
    • In Omnia Paratus

mniels Loaded Pockets

13. wundergussy

wundergussy Loaded Pockets

Thanks to all the suggestions! I ended up ordering another Sebbie. Figured anything else and I'd just wish I got the Sebbie.

14. Bobbradley

Bobbradley Loaded Pockets

As we both know from other forums we hang out on (TGP) ;D the only thing better than one of any given item is 2

That said the ZT 0566 is not out yet but looks like it could be a good ECD option from ZT. A strider of any kind is always good, and the southard is pretty boss! Any of those seem good. Dang just read your post above while typing this,lol oh well

15. Talus

Talus Loaded Pockets

I'm new to knives, but I've had an Insingo, and now have a small damascus sebenza and a benchmade 940 osborne with S30V. I know you can feel the quality of the CRKs, but I end up carrying the benchmade 9 out of 10 times. the handle is longer and feels better for my cutting tasks, the blade shape is super nice and is thick to the end, and I haven't had any issues sharpening the S30V on my Spyderco Sharpmaker. I've been putting it to hard use, and it's held up like a champ. It's way below your price point, but it's been surprisingly awesome.

[​IMG]

yo mama and Sriracha like this.
  16. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Thats very tough, CRK is best known for his flawless attention to detail and tight tolerances. If you are looking for those similar characteristics it will be really hard. If you want something else in that price bracket... That is a completely different story. Different companies are known for different things when it comes to high end knives. Strider is tough but sometimes known for a lack of attention to detail, same applies to Emersons just slightly cheaper, Spyderco is known for overall great value and performance. As I said it depends on what you want from your knife.

17. goosefacer
    • In Omnia Paratus

goosefacer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Check out Marty Young knives. Got mine delivered with taxes for just north of 4 bills.

[​IMG]

GG_Blaisdell likes this.
  18. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

"IF" by chance you are LEO, active duty MIL, EMS/EMT, etc you qualify to buy directly from Hinderer...in which case you can get a 3" or a 3.5" XM-18 for $385! The XM absolutely rivals the Sebenza!!

However, if you don't qualify via your profession then you'll pay significantly more on the secondary market...so you may not be interested.

19. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

Nope