1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unusual flashlight needs...request advice

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by greenmountainbooks, Dec 15, 2019.

1. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

Many of you have seen my posts here regarding the use of a cane for self defense. I have just been hired for a job where I would be stigmatized for carrying a cane. I get off work late at 11 p.m. and am required to park in a nearby underground garage which is like a cave during the day. At night the area is even more isolated and at eleven will be emptier than a graveyard. I do not know if the garage has alternative (i.e. illegal) uses like drug dealing and the like, but the company has said the place will be VERY isolated. I will be the only person in the building and the only one heading out to the car.
    This is also a very touchy feely place and anything even resembling a weapon would be prohibited.
    Having said that, I will be carrying a 511 sling pack for things like a book, lunch, hemorrhage control, tablet, etc. A pepper spray will probably be added in a deep compartment and moved to my coat when I leave work. .
    I am thinking of a reasonably inexpensive (currently under $30 or so...money may be coming for something ideal later) flashlight that will fit into the pack and will not look weapon like if seen by co-workers. This eliminates really huge Maglights, lights shaped like a baseball bat and the like. I have already eliminated a light sold by Wally-fart that looks like a fish bat. D cell lights are too thick. C cell lights may work if the length is right.
    To my surprise, I am having trouble finding something around 15" to 16"ish in length and not obviously a weapon. It looks like 17" inches is the maximum size the internal pocket will take,, measuring from corner to corner. That may be pushing it since I do not want co-workers asking why I have a giant baton light.
    I have a shortish Bell and Howell on order. It is advertised as: "Bell + Howell Tac Bat, Military Grade High Performance Tactical Flashlight, Red." I think it is like 12" and will be better than the pen light I use for examining patient throats. I expect that since I am alone when I leave my shift, I will take the light out of my pack and turn it on. It is on because I need to see...I am an old guy, right? And the garage is dark, right? When entering the garage, it gets switched to my left hand for overhead deployment.
    What do you think? I have looked extensively online and not found what I want.

#1 greenmountainbooks, Dec 15, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    chaosmagnet and A.B. like this.
  2. Mabrowns

Mabrowns Loaded Pockets

Put a half of a brick in your pack then it will be a good weapon

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Since a larger Maglite is a no-go, maybe check the home improvement stores? They typically have some larger lights that may work for what you need. I've worked in healthcare for 34 years and have been in your situation before (leaving work at 2-3am and having to park in an isolated, poorly lit parking garage), so I can sympathize. Good luck with your search.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

There are some flashights available that doudle as tasers/paralysers.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I cant believe anyone will think a reasonable Maglite is a weapon but the guy you whack with it?

Get a Mag!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

el_murdoque, Moshe ben David and A.B. like this.
  6. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

I agree, get a 3 D-cell maglite. They aren't that big or heavy, but pack a damned good wallop. And the new LED ones are very very bright. Make sure you get a new led one.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  7. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Get a metal waterbottle like S'well. If it has water in it and is bottle shaped, you have a nifty baton if you reverse grip it. Carry it in an outside pocket of your bag an it is readily available. Nobody can fault you for wanting to stay hydrated

from my S-A-M-S-U-N-G S9+ via T-A-P-A-T-A-L-K

rdisom and twin63 like this.
  8. greenmountainbooks

Not legal in Massachusetts.

A.B. likes this.
  9. greenmountainbooks

Excellent idea for a number of reasons. I will check it out. Ideally the bottle will have a sling so you can, well, sling it.

10. greenmountainbooks

I used to have a four D cell and found it too thick for ready use. See my post below.

11. greenmountainbooks

I have a friend who normally carries a pistol but cannot at work. His parking situation is better by far than mine however and he gave some good advice. He thought a three C cell ideal. I thought it a little short but hunted with his assistance. I eventually located a four C cell Maglite. I found it in Wall-fart, in Amazon and on a site called Dirt Cheap. I eventually bought it on Dirt Cheap and it will be delivered for around $24. Not bad. I also picked up a Bell and Howell which is advertised as being useable for self defense. It is about one foot in length and I thought it might be a reasonable alternative, even carrying it in a coat pocket when I do not have my pack. I think that these two items should cover me. Pepper spray will be in a discrete inner pocket of my pack and again, when I am alone at night it can come into a pocket even when indoors. I dislike and do not approve of using a pocket knife for self protection (I have spoken against it here) but having a 3" pocket knife if it is not brandished at work would seem innocuous. Thank you all.

twin63 likes this.
  12. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

Seriously, Acebeam W30 - will literally blind anyone attacking you - seriously...

13. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Convoy c8 or l2 both a smaller than a maglight, brighter, and got enough heft to crack a skull.

14. greenmountainbooks

Looks like an awesome light, and it should be at well over $300!!!

15. greenmountainbooks

Cheap enough certainly and quality apparently but too short for an effective bludgeon against an aware opponent.

16. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Could you carry a collapsible baton in that pocket? I’m not an attorney, but I believe they’re legal in Massachusetts.

garza likes this.
  17. nursetim 40

nursetim 40 Loaded Pockets

Klarus XT2C XM-L U2, bright a strobe/dazzler button and other modes. Makes a nifty fist load and has a subtle crenelated bezel. Only place it’s not allow is inside a jail/prison (maybe). If you get an extra large bandanna, you can sew a small pocket in it and slip the flashlight or a roll of quarters.

18. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

If you're looking to blind someone as a defensive measure (which I definitely wouldn't recommend planning for) there's plenty of lights that can do that much better (and a lot cheaper) than the $300 Acebeam mentioned above.

19. jdavidboyd

jdavidboyd Loaded Pockets

That sounds almost ideal for what you need. Light, bright, and almost as good as a D cell. Good luck on the job!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

twin63 likes this.
  20. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

A large Maglite is out of the question but pepper spray is OK? Wowtac A1S is about $25 and a solid light that I don't think would be confused in any way with a weapon