1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unusual EDC

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by traveler, Jun 13, 2006.

1. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Alright, well I do not personally own that book, but you can find some reviews by experienced and novice slingers alike for it here: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=114999035

As for the difficulty level: the sling has a notoriously steep learning curve (as is mentioned in the above link). However, please don't let that discourage you, the ability to send rocks sailing hundreds of yards out onto a lake dosn't take much time at all and is a lot more fun than it sounds :p. The accuracy of the ancients (as well as some modern shephards) is truly incredible. One example is mentioned here: http://www.slinging.org/22.html. With longer slings though, romans could hit small bundles of reeds with lethal force a couple hundred yards away; in fact they were used in many cases like modern snipers. So, while there is no doubt of it's potential, it will take a lot of practice to get you there. It's much like learning a musical instrument, difficult at times yet very rewarding along the way. One key distinction is however, that when practicing, don't get frustrated, focus, yet let your mind blank, I've written a bunch on a 'zen' approach to slinging, so won't elaborate here.

If you'd like to give it a try, but don't want to purchase anything, just visit us over on the forums, we'll be glad to help. Also, if you become a slinger, you'll find yourself there anyway :).

To give y'all an idea of the variety of slings, check out this gallery:
    http://www.slinging.org/membergallery.html
    Scroll half-way down the page to see a true piece of art by Benjamin Scott.

Update on my keychain project:
    I just finished braiding a split pouch sling (that is, no fabric for the pouch, ammo is held by two cords). I constructed it out of normal mason's line, and is round-braided 6-ply, three strand braid, two strands per strand. It splits to a three strand flat-braid for a 5 in split pouch. It is 63" unfolded. Now what will make this special is that, where the strands double over to form a naturual loop on the retention cord, I'll be inserting a typical key-ring, which will serve as the finger loop. On this key ring will also be a 'quick detatch' clip (not sure which style yet), and the other half of which will be tied into the release cord, and serve as a toggle. The whole sling will be folded over in half and then tied up with the "Monkey Chain Knot" (which I demonstrated here: http://www.slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=1;action=display;num=1141448591;start=0 ; don't worry, this one looks INFINITELY better). To seal off, the quick clip thing will be clipped into place, and will form a keychain/zipperpull between 3 and 6 in. long. The beauty of this design, is that after detatching the clip, one quick jerk will unfold the entire sling.
    I'm sorry about the lack of photos... my camera is currently decommissioned, they may have to wait a few days.

2. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Here I go again... another forum loaded with great ideas... gotta try this... already started experimenting with tying a string sling with some rope lying around.

IT'S ALL YOU FAULT, CANDO!!! :idiot2:

Jason Liddell likes this.
  3. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Haha, my thoughts exactly when I found this place :D.
    Make sure that you don't get frustrated with it all, be patient, and you'll probably have to make a few slings before you find one that really works for you :)

4. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

5. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Alright, well I typed a long thing and it got deleted , so this will be brief:

Firehose/paracord EDC sling - 69" unfolded, 7x2.25" pocket. Easily supports well over 160 lbs. without any signs of breaking or wearing. Ideal for larger rocks for impressing non-slingers (large ammo tends to annihalate whatever it hits) yet is still great for normal ammo and distance. All cuts have been heat sealed to prevent fraying. This photo is of the back/outiside/non-rock side which still has the yellowish rubberized coating. The other side is a much nicer silvery gray, very tight fabric, and the ink splot shows up very nicely, and gives it some charachter.
    [​IMG]
    Don't be fooled by the very rough look, it's extremely effective, as anyone who's seen it in action will tell you. Best part? It's extremely cheap and easy to make (I saved the template for the pouch), so if something happens to it, no big deal.
    It rolls up into a nice canister .6x2.25" making it easily pocketable.

Jason Liddell likes this.
  6. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Alright guys, I did it :D

The lanyard itself is just over 4in. long and the perfect diameter for grabbing. Unclip it from your keys or whatever it's on (unstabilizing the monkeychain), give it a single jerk, and it pops out to a split-pouch sling over five feet long..... Pics coming.... eventually....

7. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

Sweet sling CanDo! Maybe if I get the gumption to try to use a sling, I could pay you to make me one. Slinging.org is a great websight, by the way, and I'll be all over that soon enough. I'm glad you mentioned needles and thread, RyanMalpiede as I am making an EDC emergency kit contained in an Otterbox 1000, ala the Don Rearic websight, and needed some sewing stuff and the Spectra thread looks like its the " bee's knees" for this kit.

8. RyanMalpiede

Add one more ... one of these in the wallet placed snuggly between the credit cards.

[​IMG]

Sony MicroVault "Tiny" Thumbdrive. A little taller than a penny and the same width and imprint. I got the 256mb version at Target for $33.

9. knuckleduster

knuckleduster Empty Pockets

Here's one. For years I carried at least 2 3/4" ball bearings. Fun to roll around and play with (I am a fidgiter). I remember seeing the TV show Wiseguy - their was a character on there who had a bowl full of them and would whip them at his wall, blasting into the drywall.

10. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Amazing! 4 gigs at that size!

11. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I haven't found the 4GB ones yet and their site mentions a compression software they use so I don't know if it is a real 4GB or compressed 4GB. They sure look like the PQI I-sticks. I wonder if they're OEMed.

-LT

12. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

Knuckleduster, where does one get a 2 3/4" ball bearring? I know that bicyclists and motorcycle riders EDC carry orbs like that as projectiles against moron motorists, and as I ride both bikes and 'cycles in L.A. traffic, I really don't blame them for using projectiles and such. Depleted "D" and "C" size batteries are carried by a local bicyclist for the reasons mentioned above.

13. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I've seen a 3" ball bearing but it was about $150. Old golf balls would be better. They make a hellacious racket under the floor pan and don't cause any real damage.

-LT

14. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

A member from www.slinging.org (sorry I forget which one) picked up a 50gallon drum full of 1" ball bearings from the junkyard with only a very light coat of rust. Apparently they were from a mill of some sort...

15. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Empty Pockets

I EDC a tightly rolled dried out sponge wrapped in rubber bands. It's about the size of a roll of dimes.

I carry it as a water collector, not because I'm a neat freak or anything... :laugh:

I had some extra space in my Maxpedition Devildog...

16. camiller

camiller Loaded Pockets

I could be wrong but I think he meant two, 3/4" ball bearings as opposed to only one of them.

17. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

No, I think you'er correct, camiller. I must have misread that.

18. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I'm with Lunal_Tic on this one: those look very similar to PQI's Intelligent Stick (click here for my review). I'm sorry to say, but you got munched on on that 256MB unit. I just got several 1GB i-sticks for $26 each (click here for the page on NewEgg) - they come with an extra USB adapter and a nifty wallet carrier. I've had an i-stick in my wallet for several years now.

19. RyanMalpiede

Just read your reveiw ... I did get hosed, :censored:!!! :p >:D :smitten:

20. RyanMalpiede

just bought two that green led mentioned ... thanks!

ry