1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unusual EDC

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by traveler, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

ZAK TOOL!!! handcuff key and flat head screwdriver in one!

i'm also a Slinger, except i use 2OZ lead fishing weights for sling ammo. Deadly. punches a hole thru 1" thick plywood.

also slingshot hunt.

Jason Liddell likes this.
  2. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

How much are the zak tools? The prices are not posted on the website.

3. RyanMalpiede

RyanMalpiede Loaded Pockets

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

I had to look up the term cricothyroidotomy at http://answers.com as I hadn't seen it before:

5. Bushman5

Bushman5 Loaded Pockets

dont know - it was standard issue back when i carried handcuffs on the job. I still ahve the Zak tool, but the ex gf made off with the Smith and Wesson handcuffs :mad:

6. Cheswick32

Cheswick32 Empty Pockets

for my sling I just tied the strings together to form a pouch shape and put duct tape across it.

7. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

I sent them an email and they sent me a link to the actual online store where you can buy their keys. www.handcuffwarehouse.com

8. killdozer

killdozer Loaded Pockets

I searched the whole thread and no one had posted something like it yet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fieldpiece-SIP2-Digital-Pocket-IR-Thermometer-HVAC-NEW_W0QQitemZ140186142389QQcmdZViewItem

It's a infrared thermostat and I carry one every day on my key chain. It's used mainly by people in the air conditioning industry, mechanics (is that part hot?), and cooks. While I guess I could use it sometimes at work, but mainly I use it for personally entertainment.

How hot is it outside? How hot my room... what's the temp difference between the floor and the high ceiling (74.5 and 76.4)... at the warehouse its more like a 10 degree difference ... how cold is the air from the bottom of the door... is my wife hot... is the exhaust on my bike still too hot to touch... are those Christmas light going to burn my tree down (95 to 101F)...

How cold is my beer? The person the farthest off gets the next round.

I use a laptop and sit it on a pillow and it gets pretty warm... actually the key pad is 91.5 F and the bottom is 106. I.T. guy is your server to hot? Do I just feel hot or is the classroom hot... today it was the class room (80.5).

It's more useful than you think and more importantly I get some entertainment out of it.

-Mat

9. temujin

temujin Uber Prepared

While Christmas shopping on teh Intarweb, I bought an extra set of Brunton folding chopsticks and a Boker SnacPac.

The spoon with the SnacPac is plastic and pretty small. Looks like it might be a good baby spoon. The fork is metal and seems substantial. The tines are short but serviceable. The knife is another thing. Looks like a butterknife but with a sharp serrated edge. It would make short work of even a tough steak. I'm thinking it could cut Manila rope with the factory edge. Packs together nice and tight.

It set me back less than $7 at Cutlery Shoppe. I am buying a few more. One for the office, one for the lunchbag and a couple more for the 72-hour kit.

10. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info. I have Raytek Raynger ST, a professional IR non contact thermometer, powered by a 9-volt battery. It is shaped like a pistol, but is too large to EDC unless you place it in a pack.

It was useful for "seeing" the hot spots in our old electric oven. A set of 8 laser beams arrayed in a circle plus a 9th at the center help aim the gun. Very interesting tool.

Attached Files:

11. Valpo Hawkeye

Valpo Hawkeye Loaded Pockets

I have the Fluke 561 HVAC IR thermometer. They're great tools, but even more fun to play with. How else are you going to tell how hot your poop is? ;D :D

12. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

:lolhammer:

Hope it was close to 98.6 F...

Otherwise, you might have a problem ;)

Dan

:)

13. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

:lolhammer:

ROFL! Best laugh I've had all day...

14. frankinaug

frankinaug Loaded Pockets

I EDC a jewlers loupe. I've been in the business for almost 7 years now and its just part of my daily carry items now. I use it all the time at and away from work

15. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

Mine spiked the meter....I think its going nuclear!! :green:

16. NoName

NoName Loaded Pockets

Does anyone EDC a tactical laser? (The kind that shoots a wide beam of light that temporarily disorientates a would-be assailant.)

It would seem like quite a useful item to have at hand...

17. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I wouldn't call mine tactical, but I do EDC a 20mw green laser. More than bright enough that even a brief flash will hurt the eyes.

18. LLCoolBeans

LLCoolBeans Empty Pockets

Yes, I have the Wicked Lasers "Photonic Disruptor" and carry it everyday. It is not a true "Laser Dazzler", so I don't think it would disorient anyone, but with the beam in wide mode it is fairly safe and impossible for a would-be assailant to look in your general direction. If you get the full brunt of it, it takes a few seconds for your eyes to recover. Maybe enough time to get the heck away from a bad situation.

I'm not so sure I would recommend it though. The wide beam feature is really sweet, but the build quality is leaves much to be desired. Well not for the price they are asking anyway. I'd love to see an American flashlight company take this concept to the next level with a high quality casing, CR123a batteries and a tail switch.

I bought it because a couple of times a year I travel to Massachusetts to visit my family, and since anything even resembling a weapon is illegal to carry there, I wanted to have some way of defending myself if need be.

19. NoName

NoName Loaded Pockets

Very tempting :(

I bought one of their high-powered ones (non-disruptor) but I'm not sure I want to use it in self-defence for fear of blinding someone :(

20. dyyys1

dyyys1 Loaded Pockets

If your life or the life of another person is in danger then you have the right to kill an attacker if you have to to stop them. If you can keep from having to use deadly force by blinding a person then you've done a good thing. OTOH, if you can completely avoid hurting someone by getting the wide-beam version then you absolutely should do so. Plus, you'll be very lucky to hit someone in the eyes with a typical laser in a self-defense situation. One reason people buy the wide-beam tactical laser is that it actually makes it possible to hit a small target in a chaotic situation.

Jason Liddell likes this.