1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unusual EDC

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by traveler, Jun 13, 2006.

1. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

I've been scanning the Other Every Day Carry Items threads and it seems to me that in addition to the things that most of us carry that are fairly innocuous, there are some that are somewhat offbeat. And I like that! So, what sorts of weird and wonderfull stuff do you stroll out the door with? For me, its a Vicks Vapor Inhaler.Not the athsmatic lung-spray bottle your probably thinking of,its that small cylinder,about the size of a chapstick, that you unscrew from the container revealing a plastic bullet shaped thing that you put in your nostril, inhale and get a blast of menthol goodness to releave your congestion.Its just that, even when I'm not sick, I still carry the :censored: thing! It just lives with all my other EDC! (Good to have when the coffeemaker at work is broke.A quick blast on a cld mornin does wonders) I'm sure thats nothing compared to what some of you carry!

2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

It's not unusual. I carry it, too, during allergy season.

3. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

It is if you don't have allergies, and you carry it everywhere,all the time. Like I said in the post, it is probably nothing compared to what others carry. Thats about as unusual as it gets with me on a regular basis, and I'd like to see some of the more eclectic EDC out there.

4. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Do you have a picture of that? I've never heard of them before!

5. Buzzbait

Buzzbait Loaded Pockets

Weird stuff, you ask?

I always carry a Spintastics Technic yo-yo with me, along with some spare Slick6 yo-yo string. It's the best all-around wood axle yo-yo I've ever used.

[​IMG]

On occasion, I carry an original Tom Kuhn No-Jive also.

[​IMG]

6. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

Saw another example of unusual EDC today. A guy delivering to the warehouse where I work is standing on the loading dock talking on his cell phone and I notice he has on a necklace that has a small animal skull for a pendant, so I go over to check it out( I like skulls, have since I was a kid) and ask about it.It was a home-made thing, a with wire cable necklace and the aformentioned skull( he told me what critter, but i forgot,some kind of rodent) which looked like it had been laquered, nicley done, when he shows me how the lower "jaw", made of wood and spring-hinged, opened to reveal his pills! A rodent skull pill fob. Ya don;t see that every day!

Jason Liddell likes this.
  7. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

Thats pretty odd.

todd

8. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Kind of creepy :bolt: :gimme:

I always carry slings with me. I usually carry the one from paracord and a firehose that I found; It's the strongest.

I'm currently thinking of the best way to make a zipperpull/keychain split-pouch sling, and have a few good ideas going, the biggest trouble is the material, I need something very strong, yet thin, and extremely flexible. The new fishing lines made out of braided line are very promising yet also expensive :police: :confused:.... Anyway, once I figure something out, it will be pretty awesome :)

9. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

CanDo: when you say "slings" I'm not sure if you are talking about a sling strap to carry with, or a "David and Goliath" bean someone in the head with a projectile type sling.

10. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

Buzzbait,

You don't carry a TK Pocket Rocket??? Those are pretty nice and could double as a mace in a pinch. ;D

-LT

11. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

I carry a harmonica.

12. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

You carry a harmonica, but can you carry a tune? Just kidding,I'm sure you can. When I was a youngster I always carried a jews harp, and would twang away when the mood struck me.

13. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

Cool! Got any pics or how-to do and use?

14. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Now that's cool!

15. Gadget Guy

Gadget Guy Banned

After 20 years of trying to play the harmonica, I can finally play single notes! ;D

Inspector GG

16. CanDo

CanDo Empty Pockets

Traveler, I'm afraid that I'm speaking about the "David and Goliath Sling"... and from experience it is undoubtedly that powerful (no fence/cinderblock/sheet steel/bucket/plywood/branches (thick branches that is) is ever safe again:)). "bean someone in the head" is a nice way to put it... Did you know that the romans actually had a special tool for extracting slinging glandes (shaped ammo) from the flesh ofpeople whom wern't instantly killed?

Sure thing Crocodilo! Pics will have to wait for about another day, but for info on slinging visit www.slinging.org
    I'm member CanDo (surprise!) there, and have many hundreds (maybe thousands by now) posts about slinging and related things. Read the guides and articles sections for the basics of slinging and how to make slings. Make a simple sling, try it out, then if you have any more questions just ask me, or us over on the site's forums :). Be sure to read up, to clear any common misconceptions (the helicopter- whirl around your head- style is actually not popular at all for instance).
    Some good places to get started are:
    http://slinging.org/17.html for your first sling
    http://slinging.org/21.html Some of MANY styles, with videos....
    http://slinging.org/10.html have yet to read it, but it's titled for beginners
    http://slinging.org/forum2/yabb/YaBB.cgi Come here for any questions or help that you may have/like. If you join, please let me know :)

I'll get pics of my EDC sling, and some more info on my EDC keychain/zipperpull project up soon.

masiaka and Jason Liddell like this.
  17. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

Call me strange but I carry a book, magazine, catalog, or something to read.

porkchop

JordanJamesPerkins likes this.
  18. wolf

wolf Loaded Pockets

The jews harp was the first thing I ever learned how to play, my mother taught me when I was a wee child. I'm not a really great harmonica player, but I can do blues improv pretty good. And, of course, there's always the added benefit of tormenting coworkers and friends. Not that I enjoy tormenting anyone, mind, but IF I DID - well - I'd have another tool at my disposal, you see. ;D

19. webley445

webley445 Loaded Pockets

a rolled up magazine can make a good improv weapon

20. traveler

traveler Loaded Pockets

So, CanDo, you've answered the question as to what kind of sling for us. On the Survival Sheath Systems websight, there is a modern sling for sale as well as a " Sling of David" instructional book. I've always thought of the sling as a handy passtime/ weapon, but have thought it hard to use and master.If you tell me that it is easier than I think, I just might go and get one. And Webley445 makes an excelent point on the use of a magazine as an expidient weapon, and I found out recently that a similar thing can be done with a newspaper, invented by English football hooligans(masters of improvised weapory) If memory serves me, you just roll several sheets of tabloid (bigger than the standard English newspaper) into a tight tube, then fold it in half, and you've got a nice "spike" to jab, or especially," icepick" with. Another favorite is an un-opened aluminum beverage can, inverted and used in the"icepick"method.The rim of the can, combined with its weight will make "cookie cutter"wounds on your assailant, and you've got a handy projectile as well.