1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unusual EDC Items (that don't fit anywhere else)

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by Mr Thriven, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Mr Thriven

Mr Thriven Loaded Pockets

So I have an item I've EDC'd since my college days, that fits firmly in the "other" category. I have no idea what it really is, but I call it my Survival Hammer. I have used it for everything from repairs around the house, to getting a toddler out of a locked vehicle, etc. Anyone else have something a little bit, well, [​IMG]different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aasoverteakettle and Guido Nova like this.
  2. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

I always have a dog leash in the bottom of my edc bag. No clue as to why or even how it started but it's been there for at least 10 years now. When I changed bags a few years ago the dog leash got moved to the new bag without even questioning why I have it.

Jay-uk, lodi781, RoadWizard and 2 others like this.
  3. mizedog

mizedog Loaded Pockets

That's funny. Kind of like the story about cutting off a corner of the ham before cooking because that's what Grandma always did. Ever hear that story?

OP, I can't identify that thing, but swear I've seen one before. Could it just be a handle?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Mr Thriven likes this.
  4. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

Heavy-duty grip seal bags in various sizes. I added them on a whim and they've come in useful repeatedly, eg:
    • when a load of (very nice) food from a meeting buffet was going to waste
    • when an unexpected office move had me bagging up the contents of desk drawers
    • when a colleague needed to waterproof some electronics before going out in a cloudburst
    • etc, etc
    Look for 350 gauge / 87.5 micron food-safe grip-seal bags on ebay. Sizes tend to be from 3.5"x4.5" (89x114mm) up.

WillAdams, Water-Rat and Mr Thriven like this.
  5. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Iooks like a link pin out of some piece of heavy machinery. The grooves at either end are where the circlips to, to keep it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

RoadWizard, Hammer-V6 and Mr Thriven like this.
  6. Mr Thriven

Mr Thriven Loaded Pockets

[/QUOTE]
    That makes sense, as I found it in a big-rig truck yard.

7. The Slap

The Slap Loaded Pockets

Wouldnt it be amazing if some day a crucial machine throws a link pin and millions of currency or even lives are on the line, general panic and dispare, and then you come strolling by - the only person in the country who EDCs a link pin - and do the Homer Simpson inanimate carbon rod thing! "In Rod We Trust!" : )

#7 The Slap, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    Gary Gross, lodi781, volvoboy and 4 others like this.
  8. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

I think I've heard something similar. It didn't fit in her pan?

9. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Exactly. I first heard the story during my introduction to manufacturing and process improvement waaayyy back in the 70's. Young bride wants to make new hubby really happy and impress him with her cookery. He's always bragged about Mom's/Grandma's pot roast. No matter what she does, never comes out the same. He notices she doesn't trim the end and comments. She doesn't 'get it', so questions Mom/Grandma about why they cut the end off. " well dear, the roast the butcher sells just doesn't fit my pot"....

There's another variant where a new engineer is hired to work in a steel mill. He's told to spend time with the grizzled old foreman. Said foreman, first day, send him out to buy a 5 lb bag of onions. So he does. Foreman tosses it into the melt. Why? No idea. Just what he was taught to do...

Stories like this abound. Sometimes as in the pot roast with a reason. Sometimes as with the onions with no known reason.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

RoadWizard, FLbeachbum and mizedog like this.
  10. Brynoceros

Brynoceros Loaded Pockets

Very similar to the five monkey syndrome.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

11. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a cold steel mini koga, but that's not really strange... I've usually got a Czech pipe tool hanging out in my pocket too.

12. menace2sobriety

menace2sobriety Loaded Pockets

If this is what I'm thinking about I had to watch this video in one of my business classes a while back. At first I thought oh great another stupid waste of time video but then after watching it, it really made me think about why some things are the way they are and question a lot lot more.

13. pathwinder14

pathwinder14 Loaded Pockets

Some unusual things I carry are: a handcuff key, pipe cleaner, paper clip, bobby pin, safety pin, and squeaker from a dog toy.

CIVSD likes this.
  14. os2soliz

os2soliz Empty Pockets

I have polyhedron dice with me. Some times I can unexpectedly get to join a friend's Dungeons and Dragons game. My character sheets are on google drive but I like to roll my own dice.

CIVSD and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I carry a small HD monitor with me all the time but I am pretty sure that most of us do that?

16. tbirdowner86

tbirdowner86 Loaded Pockets

My grandfather worked at the Fernald nuclear plant(closed since 2002). This was a vibration stop screw, for one of the machines. My grandfather said it was never used, made out of titanium. I miss him,[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Etrange, mbick, Gary Gross and 2 others like this.
  17. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Masonic cyphers-

18. YankeeHotelFoxtrot

YankeeHotelFoxtrot Loaded Pockets

tbirdowner - what a wonderful memento!

19. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

On my keychain I have part of the piston skirt off my old big block chevy luv. First engine I ever blew up I sent a rod through the side of the block at half track. Been carrying it since I was 16 years old, dad has part of it on his keyring.