1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unknown Multi-tool -- can anyone here identify it?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by xevious, Jan 29, 2018.

1. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

UPDATE: Seems to be some Ganzo variant. Nothing much to speak of. No locking mechanism.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    Sometime back about 3 years ago, I picked up a multi-tool at Home Goods (TJMaxx) that was on closeout. I think I paid about $10 for it. It seemed to be well made and I liked how the pliers were spring loaded. No brand on it anywhere... no sign of a label having been worn off, or any imprints devoid of paint. It has a similar tool set to the older Leatherman Wave (blade, hacksaw, file, can opener, screwdrivers) but also has some hex nut wrench openings in the larger flat screwdriver blade. No Torx security screws, instead using a 4 point security bold I've never seen before. Can anyone here identify it?

[​IMG]
    Unknown multi-tool (top) along side a Leatherman Wave

[​IMG]
    Unknown multi-tool, pliers deployed

Last edited by xevious, Feb 17, 2018
    #1 xevious, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

The handle cut outs immediately make me think of Gerber. Or an unlicensed copy of a Gerber.

OTOH, seems to me there have been one or two SOG with handles like that also?

Best I can offer.

You might want to challenge some of the folks on Multitool.org also

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. Chad Schumacher

Chad Schumacher Loaded Pockets

Looks like a Ganzo brand. Just google Ganzo Multitool.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

4. Chad Schumacher

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Close call. Sure looks like it at first, only mine doesn't have the bit driver. Also, no exposed spring underneath the pliers. Strange how mine is devoid of any labels. Overall it's a decent multi-tool, but sucks for the lack of any locks (even for the blades). Probably not even worth trying to sell it. Just chuck into the trunk of the car and maybe it'll have a use someday.

6. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

Really odd that they use the same fasteners, likely the same factory somewhere pressing them out ready for relabel.

7. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

These days, anything goes in China, especially where knives and flashlights are concerned. There's so much cross-copying going on... it's just a blur. That's why I try to avoid the "off brand" merchandise, unless there's an up-and-coming one that's getting really great reviews and prices are still cheap. I've got a couple of GANZO knives that, for the price paid, are really quite good. But I checked over their whole multi-tool line on their website [GANZO KNIFE], and not really impressed. There are some higher end multi-tools with locking mechanism, but they just look sadly inferior to what is being made by SOG, Leatherman, Victorinox...

8. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

I'm right there with you!

I've handled and owned a few Ganzo knives and they really weren't too bad. Especially when someone needs a loaner!

As far as MTs go I'm a biased diehard Leatherman fan, Ganzo MTs don't stand a chance lol

9. xevious

xevious Loaded Pockets

Ganzo has come up with a few fascinating knife designs. I have one that has an enormous hole at the blade pivot, where you can stick a finger through it, enough that you could twirl the knife around your index finger. It's such a strange design that I couldn't help but buy it. It's the G709. Not sure if they still make it (shown out of stock), but they have another variant, the G708. I also have the G707, which has semi-automatic open by pressing a button (kind of like a flip-open version of a switch blade). Extremely sharp and relatively well made, for the price. Just "fun" to own. Going from a Ganzo to a quality mid-tier SOG is no comparison.

Multi-tools are inherently complicated to produce for wide consumer appeal, as there are so many considerations and combinations of features, balanced by quality and price. I do feel Leatherman strikes the right balance overall... but I think their best days are in the past. I hope they do a good job of fielding consumer input and get back to their heritage, of producing very sensible high quality multi-tools for a reasonable price.

NKlamerus likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I also am a fan of Ganzo knives. I think they've made a good journey to a quality product; as has Sanrenmu. Guys like WE knives and Kizer are even further along.

Looks like Ganzo is at the earliest stage of any journey they make be making for MT. I wish them luck; if they work hard enough at it they could be effective.

Good call I think @Chad Schumacher on this! I'll bet, whether it is in fact Ganzo or one of the other Chinese makers, they have been influenced in some way by Gerber. Maybe as a contract maker for them? Just my NSHO!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

11. Chad Schumacher

Thanks. I found them interesting and i have a few of thier knives but i agree not on the same level as leatherman or my most favorite victorinox spirit multi tool!

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk