1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Unique Situation

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Austin Grimes, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Austin Grimes

Austin Grimes Loaded Pockets

Hi Everybody,

I've been looking at the Maxpedition Noatak for a few weeks now, and really like the size of that pack, as well as the versatility and accessibility of the gearslinger design (without looking like a purse). If I were just looking for a bag to take to work, as well as use as a diaper bag/heading out the door bag, it would be a no brainer - it looks perfect for me.

The problem arises in what I am authorized to carry in uniform. As a Navy Chaplain assigned to a Marine unit, I want to get something that I can carry in civvies, as well as my Navy uniforms, as well as my MARPAT cammies. The first requirement that fits all three of those is color - black works with all three.

The second requirement is a little different: while wearing MARPAT cammies, I've got to wear straps over both shoulders, whereas in Navy uniforms (service and working), I can wear a bag over one shoulder, but not across my chest. In civvies, I can obviously wear whatever the heck I want ;).

So basically, I want a bag the size of the Noatak with two shoulder straps and it needs to be black. My biggest question is: can I find something that meets that description, but can also be easily swung around in some way to access on the go? Is there anything designed to be worn on the back (not across the chest) that can unhook quickly, swing around front, and allow me to grab things without having to dump it on the floor, or work like a contortionist to sift through?

Thanks!

2. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition Typhoon. If you want to spend more, something from the GoRuck series, probably a Radio Ruck.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

^^ The Typhoon is a one strap sling bag. Not going to work. To be honest I don't know of any one pack that will do what you want it to. Perhaps a standard backpack that you can reconfigure the straps to turn it into a slinger? Click a couple of SRBs and voila, your PF2 is now an ersatz Sitka.

Or you could just get two bags. A slinger in black and a backpack in camo.

Edit: My bad! I was thinking of the Monsoon, the Typhoon is a regular two strap backpack.

Last edited by Kilted1, Jun 8, 2012
  4. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Not anymore. Two straps.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Typhoon-Backpack-12p1577.htm

5. beast

beast EDC Junkie

Hard to find something that has the best of both worlds like the slingers. One that comes to mind is Dakine, they make awesome packs. I have a small one I use while attending Gun shows as you can pack it down heavy as in ammo, firearms, etc, and the fit and adjustments are awesome. I have abused this one and it still looks new. Huge pockets allow for clothing to easily fit. Also, tons of compartments for small & medium stuff. It's even got a padded insulated pocket w/ bladder if needed. Also great if you ride a bike or motorcycle and plan on carrying stuff. Awesome bags or packs, and very durable. There are endless colors and sizes. Hope this helps!

6. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

noatak holds very little,worse bag they maxe only works flat & empty soon as you put anything in it makes all other pockets worthless,id say i can fit as much in my remora.

7. Austin Grimes

After reading a little bit, I'm starting to get a little interested in the 5.11 Rush 12. It looks like it would be about the right size, and possibly the quick release shoulder straps might be a decent compromise. I haven't found a lot on how easy it is to get on/off, though.

8. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

ive got the rush awesome pack,youll never regret getting one,great all rounder

9. garret218

garret218 Loaded Pockets

I don't know how much help this will be for you, but on my regular Jansport school backpack I replaced the ladderlocs on the shoulder straps with QD buckles, and I would sometimes cross the shoulder straps and buckle them to the opposite sides then only use one shoulder strap, effectively turning the backpack into a gearslinger-type bag. This can be done with pretty much any backpack so when you find one you like, there's always that option.

10. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Victorinox Flex Pack - It can be worn as a backpack or a sling bag. I don't own one, but I saw it in REI and I was impressed by the design.

11. CheepSteal

CheepSteal Loaded Pockets

When I need to access something on the go with my Rush 12, I just take one strap off and swing the bag around to the front and across my chest and use my right arm to hold it in place. I can then use both hands to ruffle through the pockets to grab my keys or papers or whatever. Works a treat.

Edit: I almost forgot, yes, it's very easy to get off as long as you're not wearing a watch or something that can snag on the straps. All I need to do to take a strap off is make a flat palm and push my fingers between the strap and my chest and then push the rest of my arm through. Bam and it's off! I wear my pack as high and tight as I can too.

12. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

I run the 24 and my carry weighs in at about 20 pounds. and I swear by the organization.
    I understand the 12 has all the organization as well.
    If you go RUSH you may never go back.

13. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

The RUSH 12 is very much like the 24, but it lacks the 2 vertical side pockets the 24 has. Also, the top outer pocket on the 12 is one whole space, while the 24 has that space divided in 2 separate pockets with mesh on them.

14. Austin Grimes

Just as an update - I actually ordered this pack on the 9th. I received the wrong item on the 12th, sent it back on the 13th, and it was officially lost by UPS on the 15th. Thankfully Amazon customer service is awesome and when I contacted them today to see what the deal was, they processed my refund immediately, and are going to give me credit for next-day shipping on my new order. I'm just tired of carrying around this SOC 3-day BOB every day! Looking forward to finally getting my RUSH 12 and trying it out.

15. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Wow! Perhaps it's the universe telling you that you should have gotten the RUSH 24. :p

In all seriousness, I'm glad it's being worked out and look forward to your review! :)

16. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Sounds like you're all set now, but if you do need any modifications you'll find that there are lots of very reasonably priced seamstress people near military bases.

17. Awaiting Petrichor

Awaiting Petrichor Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition mongo sounds like a good choice, my brother owns one and by first hand experience of using the hidden belt loop to run to the train station it fits your description.... black ! Looks great too.

18. Austin Grimes

Modifications? What kind of modifications can you do with one of these packs?

19. Austin Grimes

I just got my shipping notice, and it should be here tomorrow! UPS comes by my place pretty late in the evening, so I won't get to really try it out until Friday when I go to work. It may get some good use this weekend, as I might make a day trip down to Waco to look at a Bronco. In the span of a couple days it will serve as an EDC pack/briefcase, diaper bag, car trip bag. I'll try to remember to take some pictures and give my impressions in those scenarios. I realize that there are plenty of reviews that have been done to death on just about everything out there, but maybe my particular use case could be helpful to someone else. :)

20. Austin Grimes

Something like that, or really any of the gearslingers would be great, but I have to have something that I can wear on both shoulders, without it crossing my chest while in uniform. Blame the Navy/Marine Corps :p